Thread: Slimserver?

Slimserver?

I have a Slimp3-MP3-Player and would like to listen to music without having to switch on my pc. Has anyone installed Slimserver (www.slimdevices.com) on the Asus WL-700gE?

Out of the box, there appears to be no way to install custom apps on the router. It runs what Asus shipped it with.

I'm looking into that myself (on the WL-500g Premium, same box without the internal HD). The only info I got was to look for slimp3slave client. It should be possible to install this as a package into the firmware. Not sure how though...

In order to get anything custom on the router, first the application would have to be recompiled to work with the router's architecture, given it uses a Broadcom MIPS processor. If there's already a MIPS/mipsel version, you're 1 step closer. Given the router's limited amount of RAM, the server would also have to use as little as possible, otherwise you'll start running into performance issues. If you managed to make it past all of those hurdles, the other trick is to get it to run at startup when the router powers up/reboots. This can be accomplished by modifying the appropriate file(s) in the router's source code and then recompiling the firmware, then praying it all compiled right when you re-flash it.

So really, there's not much too it. If I only knew half of what is required to do anything custom with the router, I'd be a happy man. Right now I'm just plowing through it as much as I can, but there are considerably more knowledgable people in this forum, who actually know a thing or two about compiling and cross-plateform compiling.

I'm still waiting to find that magic set of tutorials that explains everything one ever needs to know about cross-compiling apps, and puts it in simple terms.

Ok, I just got this question via PM as well, so I looked it up using one of the allmighty websearch engines

It appears that a solution for Slimserver is available for the unslung firmware for the Linksys NSLU2. Because it uses portable and ipkg stuff, it might as well be possible to use this for the WL-500g.

So check out the following link: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Please report back here if you were succesful (and preferably: how).

Not sure if this would work. Isn't the NSLU2 using a ARM processor? Where Asus WL uses a Mipsel?

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
    Not sure if this would work. Isn't the NSLU2 using a ARM processor? Where Asus WL uses a Mipsel?
    Ipkg packages for NSLU2 are also ported to MIPSEL architecture as used by Asus WL-xxx series.

I'm not saying you should type in everything 'exactly' as described but adapt it. AFAIK the Slimserver software is Perl based and therefore cross platform.

I have looked a bit into this and found that:

As long as the mipsel package perl-dbd-mysql isnt available it will not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by clausbruun View Post
    I have looked a bit into this and found that:

As long as the mipsel package perl-dbd-mysql isnt available it will not be possible.
    i have a slimserver too.maybe with an older version of slimserver which uses sql lite?

Oh yes that would be interesting if such a thing exists ?

Quote Originally Posted by nemster View Post
    i have a slimserver too.maybe with an older version of slimserver which uses sql lite?
    Hi nemster,

Can you share your slimserver source?

Cheers