Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wl500gp!

Man, you really don't know sh** about computing at all...

In short:
    1. If you want to learn: get some books
    2. Software (firmware) without bugs: first bugfree program is still to be written.
    3. Firmware comes when they are finished making it: And yes, we would all like 'the perfect firmware' on the day we buy the thing.
    4. WEBCAMS: Direct your remark to the webcam manufacturers. Or just buy a webcam that costs more than $20
    5. If you can read you will have your printer setup in under two minutes. For illiterates you are right: the pictures are not clear.
    6. Connecting HDD to a router has always amazed me.: Why??
    7. Wireless compatibility: The most sold isn't always the best...
    8. Support: Buy a KiSS DP600 and try support. You'll be happy with Asus afterwards.
    9. GET OVER IT, PATHETIC LITTLE MAN. And stop being a troll (look it up in a wiki)

How did you know I wasn't tall........hmmm

500gP on the way - lets find out.

I've ordered the 500g Premium router, mainly because there's nothing else like it. I've also got a 250Gb USB drive at the same time, for music etc.

If it doesn't mostly work with the latest firmware it may be going back. Depends whether I expect the faults to be fixed or not (Oleg or Asus, I don't mind, but hardware/design faults shouldn't be tolerated.

I suspect Sabastian is partially right (although a bit picky ) but I'll find out for myself (and I have an AMD notebook not Intel ). This router has 4 features that are the sole reason for buying it instead of the Linksys Linux router:

1. NAS: Network attached HDDs have a whole industry built around them and an extremely large market. It means I can access the same files from any machine on my network.

2. Print Server: Won't be using this function yet.

3. Webcam: This is a big feature that should work out of the box. Although I WILL buy a webcam from the 'supported webcams' list.

4. Download Manager: Leaving my main machine on to download torrents is too noisy. This thing says it can do it. I hope it can.

I've read a few reviews and forum posts and reckon that the user interface isn't that bad. But it should do all the things advertised or it's a con.

Question: Why doesn't ASUS support this website and the contributors. They could use the mods on this forum to make the product better but also add their own updates..... It probably clashes with their bottom line I guess....would be nice to have a partnership (like Rockbox.org and Archos).

And really Eddie, your comments are personal. Why flame the guy for reporting facts. If you can prove him wrong you should. He's only putting newbies off, not the kind of people who don't mind playing with Linux scripts!

ASUS is a trusted name. If they release shoddy hardware they'll only be hurting themselves.
    Last edited by AAMP; 07-09-2006 at 17:20.

Just like AAMP, I've ordered this model & am eagerly awaiting the postman's ring tomorrow. Hence my first post on these forums!

I was aware of the problems that people were having with this series of routers before I ordered, but I think that the benefits outweigh the effort that appears to be necessary to get it working properly. It has a fantastic feature list, I can't wait to have my external hard disk connected to it & stream movies off it to my iBook anywhere in the house. Download managing sounds handy too, if it's implimented alright, I'll have to see.

Certainly it is a bad show by Asus if the firmware is buggy, but I'm willing to try out Oleg's firmware if necessary - actually I more than likely will as I'd love to be able to access my hard drive from work.

You'll be hearing from me if I've problems anyway. But I'm not planning to be disappointed
    -Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by AAMP View Post
    I've ordered the 500g Premium router, mainly because there's nothing else like it. I've also got a 250Gb USB drive at the same time, for music etc.

If it doesn't mostly work with the latest firmware it may be going back. Depends whether I expect the faults to be fixed or not (Oleg or Asus, I don't mind, but hardware/design faults shouldn't be tolerated.

I suspect Sabastian is partially right (although a bit picky ) but I'll find out for myself (and I have an AMD notebook not Intel ). This router has 4 features that are the sole reason for buying it instead of the Linksys Linux router:

1. NAS: Network attached HDDs have a whole industry built around them and an extremely large market. It means I can access the same files from any machine on my network.

2. Print Server: Won't be using this function yet.

3. Webcam: This is a big feature that should work out of the box. Although I WILL buy a webcam from the 'supported webcams' list.

4. Download Manager: Leaving my main machine on to download torrents is too noisy. This thing says it can do it. I hope it can.

I've read a few reviews and forum posts and reckon that the user interface isn't that bad. But it should do all the things advertised or it's a con.

Question: Why doesn't ASUS support this website and the contributors. They could use the mods on this forum to make the product better but also add their own updates..... It probably clashes with their bottom line I guess....would be nice to have a partnership (like Rockbox.org and Archos).

And really Eddie, your comments are personal. Why flame the guy for reporting facts. If you can prove him wrong you should. He's only putting newbies off, not the kind of people who don't mind playing with Linux scripts!

ASUS is a trusted name. If they release shoddy hardware they'll only be hurting themselves.

Ofcourse, my response lacks finesse. But his way of showing personal discontent or lack of knowledge about the product is not very civilized.
    I do not intent to defend Asus, I don't give a rat's ass about them. Any other brand will do.

But, more important, discussions on the forum should be correct and informative for newbies and Linux-nerds ( ) alike. The use of grand capitals and the unsubstantiated showing of personal ignorance/lack of knowledge belong on other fora. Who wants shouters in a library?

Don't recall "shouting", but off course you have a point. Shouting isn't very intelligent. But that is a totally different discussion, the thing that I wanted to get across was that the router isn't 100% as it should be. When buying a product from a reputable manufacturer like Asus, you shouldn't have to be a "Linux Nerd" to get something to work........it's should "just work".

I am picky, I know, my friends know.......I think it's called "analy retarded" hehe, I just want things to be perfect (at least almost...)

Right now, I get full speed on the router sometimes. But it's not stable at all. If I load a webpage, i might get over 6000 kbps. When I reload it, I can get anywhere from 980 kbps to 2800 kbps. It's not constant and it's very annoying.

My point is that:

1. A product should work as stated
    2. The produer should show interest in upgrading and fixing bugs rather quickly
    3. Advanced features, requires advanced knowledge....BUT should work rather "hassle free"
    4. It could (or rather SHOULD) be THE best router out there, but at the moment, it is NOT....

At least the design looks kinda nice.....

Shouting or misleading? ... perhaps both

I guess shouting in text mode is using bold, caps and size increase to draw attention to your point. I personally find your latest exclamation:

Do NOT under ANY circumstance BUY this product, because you WILL get dissapointed...

plainly misleading. The product works very well - if you do what is recommended on the forums. Most of the features - firewall, wifi, hdd, samba, download master did work out of the box. With less control you would get from using the command line - so not perfect, but still working.

However the point is - it works really well if you upload customised firmware and operate through command line. I guess it works also via web interface then, but cl is much more convenient.

Most of the people here discuss firmware customization to make the router work well. I wonder if this really is the target audience where you want to moan at length how something is not working exactly how it is supposed to? If everything was working and nothing could be changed - would there be such a forum in the first place?

Bye
    Last edited by r0kanon; 11-09-2006 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78 View Post
    Don't recall "shouting", but off course you have a point. Shouting isn't very intelligent. But that is a totally different discussion, the thing that I wanted to get across was that the router isn't 100% as it should be. When buying a product from a reputable manufacturer like Asus, you shouldn't have to be a "Linux Nerd" to get something to work........it's should "just work".

I am picky, I know, my friends know.......I think it's called "analy retarded" hehe, I just want things to be perfect (at least almost...)

Right now, I get full speed on the router sometimes. But it's not stable at all. If I load a webpage, i might get over 6000 kbps. When I reload it, I can get anywhere from 980 kbps to 2800 kbps. It's not constant and it's very annoying.

My point is that:

1. A product should work as stated
    2. The produer should show interest in upgrading and fixing bugs rather quickly
    3. Advanced features, requires advanced knowledge....BUT should work rather "hassle free"
    4. It could (or rather SHOULD) be THE best router out there, but at the moment, it is NOT....

At least the design looks kinda nice.....
    AFIK the machine perfectly out of the box. Full speed, fast wireless videostreaming without hickups and problemfree configuration thru webinterface and comandline. But I know what I'm doing...

Firmware updates do appear on a regular basis, I have had the WL500gP for one month now and upgraded the firmware 2 times already, immediately when it came out.

And for the price you pay for it, it should not be the best router out there. If yu wanted the best (consumer) router out there, you should have gotten yourself a larger budget to spend...

For your speed problems, you might broaden your view to the rest of your network setup or ADSL/cable stability.

THIS IS SHOUTING......THIS is just MAKINg a point or putting attention to certain words, no?

When I connect to the routers LAN port, I always get from 6000 to 7000 kbps. With my stationary pc, I get the same speed. The low speed is ONLY with WLAN.

• There are no other wlan in the area (Network Stubler)
    • I don't have a microwave
    • No power lines "in air" for over 20 km
    • No mobile transmitters close by

Oh and from what I can gather, most of Asus's new laptops comes with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wlan card.......NOT Atheros......

If THIS is shouting, I WONT do it any more......btw you are just sidetracking the discussion. My guess is that only 10-15% of users here get the darn thing to work without a lot of hasse and most of them have deep knowledge about routers and wlan....most others, ask stupid questions like me.....

Well, I just turned it on and it worked flawlessly...

With WLAN there can be some other fators that influence speed:

Obstructions walls, different floors, a lot of solid concrete walls with steel, steel doors
    Channel: Some channels just do better. Preffered ones are 1,6, 11 (middle of each spectrum)
    Encryption: encryption is designed not to slow down traffic, but it does sometimes
    NIC driver: Use the most basic settings. If reception is < 80% set the NIC steady on the B band. Unstablity is kiling for a good G connection; it keeps switching speeds and that takes milliseconds. Perhaps try to enhance the packetsize and tweak windows/ Intel driver.

In short, I'm 90% convinced that your problems do not originate frome the Asus router.

And I'm sorry that demanding the most out of computers/networks without having too much knowledge is a rare combination. It's like getting myself into a Ferrari F1 for one time and wanting to have the fastest laptime right away..

Printing: Configure the right port and protocol (LPR) and firewalls and every HP should work (generic printerlanguage)
    Last edited by EddieZ; 12-09-2006 at 14:54.

Asus/Intel compliance

Hi,

I can not solve your problem, this is just a intel user report.

I have a laptop with internal wifi card Intel Pro 1450 802.11 a/b/g bands.
    I bought a wl500g 2 years ago, i never had such problems, so for sure i do not use all the BW, i'm using it at work as a nomad and at home.

It happened i used it with ten wifi people with AES 128b, from 1m to 150m and more. I had no remark about wifi but only about external WLAN internet speed
    I was very glad to switch from 1mW to 99mW the Tx PW, to adapt range and slow down radio emissions when unuseful.

So i would like you to make a objective benchmark, with various configurations before posting in big capital to not buy this or this.

I can not say "do not buy a Philips router", because i had only Asus for the moment, i quite satisfied for the moment with its features, and sorry guy i recommended it to IT friends, for instance one who wanted to share its printer with parallel port (funny but true, and i did it also at work with ten people).

The main reason i bought it was HDD FTP and webserver and related stuff with customized FW, and i think it is the step ahead, and so surprised that Asus and competitors did not already officially developped them in order to make them accessible to common people (not fond of as yours (ours ok)

Van harte

The egg or the chicken...

Still having problems with slow speeds, then suddenly no problems, then extremely slow speeds the next second. I Still think "ordinary" people shouldn't buy the Asus WL500gP....

If it's Asus's fault, Intel's, Toshiba or anybody elses fault doesn't matter really, I'm just telling people that if you have a Intel internal wifi car, don't buy an Asus router because at the present time, they don't talk to eachother very well.

Off course there will be sw updates, but not right now.....

People are going to hate me for this, but I think Apple's "It just works" campain is a very good thing. You can say a lot of bad things about Apple or even (gosh) Microsoft....but it seems Apple tests their prodctucts with whats available in the market at that time, making sure it works.......no matter who is to blame for any issue that pops up.

FYI, Apple uses Broadcom chips for Airport products. And they would work fine with WL500gp for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78 View Post
    Still having problems with slow speeds, then suddenly no problems, then extremely slow speeds the next second. I Still think "ordinary" people shouldn't buy the Asus WL500gP....

If it's Asus's fault, Intel's, Toshiba or anybody elses fault doesn't matter really, I'm just telling people that if you have a Intel internal wifi car, don't buy an Asus router because at the present time, they don't talk to eachother very well.

Off course there will be sw updates, but not right now.....

People are going to hate me for this, but I think Apple's "It just works" campain is a very good thing. You can say a lot of bad things about Apple or even (gosh) Microsoft....but it seems Apple tests their prodctucts with whats available in the market at that time, making sure it works.......no matter who is to blame for any issue that pops up.

Considering the fact that you see yourself as an ordinary guy with no knowledge of networking I bet the speedlapses are caused by
    something else than your WL500gP.

Sorry m8, just get yourself another forum to release your anger. You don't want advice, you only want to shout at the world. Reember: the human mind is like a parachute: it only works when it opens up...

Ah yes, the wrath of "locals"....I'll shut up now, but at least when some other piece of fresh wifi-meat strolls into this forum, at least he'll now that it's sometimes a hassle getting this thing to work. (I'm not the only one posting problems here.......)

AND when they do release better FW, it'll do what it says on the box......because it should be an amazing product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast