WL-600g
    Print server
    No download manager???
    ADSL2 modem, support ADSL Max?

WL-566gM
    Print server ?
    Download manager?
    802.11g

Really not sure which I should be after, necessary are the print server and wireless. Benefiscial extras in order of preference: Download manager (inc bittorrent) and then Modem..

So advise please! I'm favouring the WL-500gP at the moment. Feel free to advise something completely different!

Well I am quite dissapointed in my wl-500gP. It has problems in the most basic task of a router, to provide a connection (see my thread).
    Bittorrent the way it's implemented by default is completely useless and there are problems with oleg's firmware for the wl-500gP (people's routers have died). I am pretty pissed of that after more than 100$ I spent, I have to install a custom firmware to even be able to run something that is advertised to work by default.
    I would never recommend an asus router to anyone. I would buy a linksys.

I have bought one WL-500g, WL-566gM and WL-500gP (one for me, one for my parents and one for my sister)!

As for the old WL-500g which I use, I think it is an excellent router! I'm using Oleg's custom firmware and it's just superb. No problems. I'm thinking about buying myself a new version of this, and it will be either the WL-500W or the WL-500gP. Mostly because both of this has USB2 and UPnP Media Server abilities.

As for the WL-566gM, it does not have USB-connections and therefore no media server ability or download manager functionality. It's main features are the pre 802.11n (MIMO) functionality which I must say I havent experienced so much effect of. We've had some stability problems on our network where this router is connected, but havent figured out yet if it's the WL-566gM or it's the ADSL connection.

The WL-500gP, which I bought to my sister, have had no problems yet. I havent tried the download features, she only has a USB printer connected to it, but the wireless connection and the printserver ability works as good as it gets!

So in contrast to Rapsey, I would recommend you to buy an Asus router! I'm about to buy another one myself. I just can't decide if I'm buying the WL-500gP or the WL-500W.

...Although I see that even Oleg is agreeing that the WL-500gP does indeed have problems. See this thread http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6231. Maybe I'm not so sure what to buy after all..
    Last edited by Bertie; 04-09-2006 at 13:59.

Hmm I think i've decided, wl-500w on komplett.no (norway) works out at £130 - or the wl-500gP at £61 on komplett uk!

Bertie, do you use any intel wireless cards? From the other thread I saw that asus routers seem to work like shit with intel cards. My download speed from the HD connected to the router is 1800 kbytes/s, which is 5mbit and the notebook is 1m away from the router.

Ahh.. I guess I read the mentioned thread a little to quickly..
    Oleg's posting comment was of course only regarding Intel WiFi cards.

Nevertheless some my family's computers are using built-in Intel PROSet cards, but I'm not sure what the CAM/PSP settings are on these.. Maybe it's set up for "Maximum performance" as is indicated as a solution in the other thread. But as I mentioned, we hanvent experienced any problems with the WL-500gP.

And, same as you UnreaL, I'm about to buy the WL-500W from Komplett.no! It's a little bit expensive, but as I see it it is unmatched with it's set of features. And even though some may complain about the firmware from Asus, The combination of the ability to replace Asus' firmware, the Open Source strategy, and the extensive info on this forum as well as the excellent work by Oleg and others... Best Buy if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapsey View Post
    Bertie, do you use any intel wireless cards? From the other thread I saw that asus routers seem to work like shit with intel cards. My download speed from the HD connected to the router is 1800 kbytes/s, which is 5mbit and the notebook is 1m away from the router.
    uhm 5Mbit is around 625Kbyte/sec

1800Kbyte/sec is around 15Mbit/sec

I use also a Intel 2200BG in my notebook.. but don't experience problems with neither WL300, WL300g,WL500g, WLHDD,WL500g Deluxe, WL566gM and the WL500gP

wireless speed is all like expected 15-25Mbit depending on the area
    ofcourse WL566gM mimo stuff does not work on the intel card, only on a WL106gM card

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Oh right. I don't know what I was thinking.

What about UPnP. I know WL-700gE supports UPnp, but does WL-500gP and WL-500W support UPnP out-of-the-box?