Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WL500g Premium - 7f-pre6 - URGENT ... now -pre7

Exclamation WL500g Premium - 7f-pre6 - URGENT ... now -pre7

I've updated my firmware to workaround partial nvram loss problem. Everyone, who use my firmware, should upgrade to this latest version: http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre7.trx

With this firmware, your unit would correctly detect RESET button state, regardless of nvram settings. I'm still investigating the reason for nvram loss - this is sort of hardware problem.

Updated to -pre7. Added a new workarounds for flash handling. Flash programing is now much faster, hangups should go away when commiting nvram changes. MirrorBit flash technology hacks added... nvram CRC checks are also added. Only kernel is updated.
    Last edited by Antiloop; 04-09-2006 at 10:56.

Question Is there a possibility to keep settings and USB HDD config?

Hi Oleg, thanks very much for this notice. I have just completed wl-500Gp with HDD, enhanced-ctorrent and stuff like that. It has been working well for a week now. Do you think there is a way to keep customizations or shall I just complete torrents and take everything down, then re-install from scratch?

Cheers and just wanted to say - your work is excellent.

You do not need to reinstall everything. Just flash new firmware and replace /sbin/rc with an updated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I've updated my firmware to workaround partial nvram loss problem. Everyone, who use my firmware, should upgrade to this latest version: http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre6.trx

With this firmware, your unit would correctly detect RESET button state, regardless of nvram settings. I'm still investigating the reason for nvram loss - this is sort of hardware problem.
    Many thanks for your work!

stability / dead router

Hi Oleg, thanks for new release. I've bought 500gP recently and still running Asus firmware. Do you still expect possibility of dead router? Is there any other way how to bring it then back to "life" except the trick with pin inside... I would like to install your firmware but i don't want to lose warranty. I will wait couple days probably to have responses from those braver thx for your work on firmware... P

This is not a firmware problem, but hardware. The router "dies" with ASUS firmware too and DD-WRT as well.

oh, really sorry then... that's good news so I will give it try sooner or later... and what about the reset? just through pin? or any other option?

/sbin/rc

I updated the firmware, (by the way web interface refused to do that but ASUS recovery utility loaded it fine. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I had gx firmware on it before) however ...

You do not need to reinstall everything. Just flash new firmware and replace /sbin/rc with an updated one.
    Oleg I somehow lost you there. What is updated /sbin/rc ?

I understand this is a binary that contains quite a few things (including reboot) and it comes with the firmware. So if I flash a new one on, the /sbin/rc is updated as well? Or is there something that I am just missing?

Many thanks

This is not a firmware problem, but hardware. The router "dies" with ASUS firmware too and DD-WRT as well.
    Can we have some more details about this hw problem?
    Is it something you/Asus can find a software workaround?

BTW I read that wl500gP should have some hw facility to speed up encryption? Does your firmware support it?

thanks and kudos for the great work you're doing

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro83 View Post
    oh, really sorry then... that's good news so I will give it try sooner or later... and what about the reset? just through pin? or any other option?
    Reset should work fine now. I've added a code, which checks nvram validity (this feature does not exist in any other firmware at the moment) and automatically resets to defaults. Also, button is no longer depends on the nvram content. And finally, looks like the problem was due to hangups during nvram commit. Finally, the reason was that this new flash utilize MirrorBit technology which is not directly supported by linux. The flash supplies unexpected values during the query cycle, which are causing extra delays during write cycles. Etc, etc, etc... I've added a "hack" to workaround this issues.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanS View Post
    Can we have some more details about this hw problem?
    Is it something you/Asus can find a software workaround?
    Read above.
    BTW I read that wl500gP should have some hw facility to speed up encryption? Does your firmware support it?
    No tech doc is available for this facility and there is no code utilizing it... Well, perhaps they're using the same arch as for accelerators, but nobody checked this.

Client mode support ?

Is Client mode now working ?

last I tried with release 1.9.2.7-7f-pre4 and client mode it just acted as .... and no possibilities to contact the bricked router. => Pin 9 .....

Should I dare again with 7f-pre6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by P Still View Post
    Is Client mode now working ?

last I tried with release 1.9.2.7-7f-pre4 and client mode it just acted as .... and no possibilities to contact the bricked router. => Pin 9 .....

Should I dare again with 7f-pre6 ?
    Works fine. The latest is pre7.

Oleg, I've experienced a problem with 7f pre6: on the web surface
    if I clicked on save & restart I couldn't log in after restart, but
    had to force a reeboot again from ssh. Does pre7 solve this problem also?
    Thanks for your work!

Bbaccsi

I've updated my firmware to workaround partial nvram loss problem. Everyone, who use my firmware, should upgrade to this latest version: http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre7.trx

Updated to -pre7. Added a new workarounds for flash handling. Flash programing is now much faster, hangups should go away when commiting nvram changes. MirrorBit flash technology hacks added... nvram CRC checks are also added. Only kernel is updated.

pre7 does not fix a problems: it tries to workaround them. Yes, flash pre7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast