Thread: WL-500g + Wl-300g Connection HElp!

WL-500g + Wl-300g Connection HElp!

Hello everyone,
    I recently bought a wireless router and an Access point from asus, because of the good reviews they received. However i am having a problem putting this things to work. And the manual does not help.
    I lost almost 2 hours just to get acess to the router configuration, (they forgot to tell you in the manual you must connect the cable to the LAN1 port insted of the first port WAN). I don't know if the two devices must have 2 different IP numbers or if you just can use them with the assigned default IP numbers, wich are equal in both devices. I have acctually changed the Default Ip in the AP to XXX.XXX.X.2, insted of XXX.XXX.X.1, but after i do that i can't acess it anymore (I changed the Ip in windows too so it matches the new one in the AP) and must reset the AP afterwards to gain acess to it again. And even if i use all the default IP numbers, how am i suposed to detect if there are any wifi devices nearby? The device detector program only finds the one directly connected to the computer by cable (AP or router).
    Please Help!
    Last edited by jehuty; 14-07-2004 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by jehuty
    Hello everyone,
    I recently bought a wireless router and an Access point from asus, because of the good reviews they received. However i am having a problem putting this things to work. And the manual does not help.
    I lost almost 2 hours just to get acess to the router configuration, (they forgot to tell you in the manual you must connect the cable to the LAN1 port insted of the first port WAN). I don't know if the two devices must have 2 different IP numbers or if you just can use them with the assigned default IP numbers, wich are equal in both devices. I have acctually changed the Default Ip in the AP to XXX.XXX.X.2, insted of XXX.XXX.X.1, but after i do that i can't acess it anymore (I changed the Ip in windows too so it matches the new one in the AP) and must reset the AP afterwards to gain acess to it again. And even if i use all the default IP numbers, how am i suposed to detect if there are any wifi devices nearby? The device detector program only finds the one directly connected to the computer by cable (AP or router).
    Please Help!
    please supply firmware numbers as well

also post the IP's used for PC's/notebook/AP/ROUTER etc (yes everyone is using 192.168.x.x it's not a secret )

it's a bit vague

note: every device should have its own IP number (they may NOT match any other)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I did not post the Ip number because i did't remeber it the firmware is the default one, I didn't upgrade it.
    So i need a diferent Ip number for each device. Is it enough to change the last digit of the IP number? I don't understand much about networks, i actually thought the ip number of my pc was the same than my AP... I didn't knew it had a separate one.
    I will try changing all the IP's, again and put everything in auto detect mode.

Thanks Antiloop.

I did not post the Ip number because i did't remeber it the firmware is the default one, I didn't upgrade it.
    So i need a diferent Ip number for each device. Is it enough to change the last digit of the IP number? I don't understand much about networks, i actually thought the ip number of my pc was the same than my AP... I didn't knew it had a separate one.
    I will try changing all the IP's, again and put everything in auto detect mode.

Thanks Antiloop.
    every wl500g has another firmware default.. at moment of production latest firmware will be flashed into the unit.

well if the IP of your PC and AP was the same you would not be able to access it.

for example you should set it up like this:

WL500g: 192.168.1.1
    PC: 192.168.1.2 (dynamic would be OK by setting the connection to assign from DHCP)
    WL300g: 192.168.1.254 (you could also set this to assign from DHCP but you have the chance that it will receive another IP every time, and difficult to find then)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

also see this topic for reference use

https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=624

note: 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X are not connected as 1 network but a WL500g's connect 192.168.1.X to the 192.168.0.X

so you have to use 192.168.1.X OR 192.168.0.X but not both of them

Day 2

OK, i have fixed all the ip numbers, and everything seems to be working fine, except! I can't find the wireless router, I have acess to the AP and router configuration in explorer when i put the correspondent IP number, but only when they are connected via the LAN port. How can i check if there are any nearby acess points when using the PC with the Access point? All i get in my connections is a normal Local Area Network, wich is the network between my PC and the Access point, just like i had when the computer connected directly to the Cable modem by LAN. How am i suposed to discover new wireless network devices? On the setup page of the AP?
    (Asus device detector program, only detects the AP or the Router when they are cabled to the PC, no wireless detection at all)
    My current definitions are:

PC

IP: 192.168.1.3
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Acess Point

IP: 192.168.1.2
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    SSID : default
    Channel : 1
    Authentication: Open System or Shared Key
    Encryption : None
    AP mode : AP only

Wireless Router

IP: 192.168.1.1
    SSID : default
    Channel : 1
    Authentication: Open System or Shared Key
    Encryption : None
    AP mode : AP only / Home Gateway
    Last edited by jehuty; 15-07-2004 at 09:27.

i'm a bit confused right now..

if i'm reading it right you don't even have a Wireless Card !?

asus device detector thing(you don't need it.. ) does detect asus router too when connected wireless.. (i'm almost always working/testing via wireless)

No, i don't have a wireless card, I have a wireless Acess point wich connects to the pc via a normal Local area network, and a wireless Router connected to the cable modem on another room. The reason I bought a wireless Acess point was so i can connect my ps2, and gamecube to it because of the standart lan port.

then u should use WDS ( do not use WPA but WEP or None encryption)

how to? RTFM first please

So WDS on both devices?
    Humm, what "RTFM first please" means?
    Still I don't know how to make search for wireless devices from windows.
    And i thought i knew something about computers...
    Last edited by jehuty; 15-07-2004 at 14:25.

So WDS on both devices?
    Humm, what "RTFM first please" means?
    Still I don't know how to make search for wireless devices from windows.
    And i thought i knew something about computers...
    yes wds at both

RTFM means Read The Fucking Manual

and no you can't search wireless devices because you don't have a wireless card

You just knew I was going to ask you that didn't you. :P
    Ok thanks for your help , everything is working fine.
    I had to add the Mac adress of the AP to the Router, and viceversa. I will try playing with the other options now. At least now i understand a little bit more about networks.
    The range of the signal is incredible, my router is 35 meters away with 3 concrete walls between it and my pc, and surfing the web is smooth. Keep up the good work asus!

Stay cool,
    Ciao!