Thread: No route from wan to lan after Quicksetup

No route from wan to lan after Quicksetup

Hi, I've been trying for days now and I can't get any internet connections from pc's that are connected to the lan ports of a wl-500g. I can connect to the router itself. I have configured the router in home-gateway mode.

I have a speedtouch 510i in dhcp-spoofing mode. When a pc is connected I neatly gets the ip-address from the ISP (xs4all) and all works fine. I mean, I can visit a website.

When I connect the wl-500g to the adsl-modem (yes, via the wan-port) the router gets the correct ip-address/gateway and dns settings. (It is configured in 'automatic ip' mode). I connect my pc to any of the lan-ports of the wl-500g. I refreshed the ip address on my pc so that it can speak to the wl-500g.

Now, I ping a remote site. Then I get a message such as:
    <router ip> no route to host: <pinged ip>

I look at the routing table and see no default route. There should be one there right? How else would it know to route my packets to the wan port? But why isn't it there?

My router-firmware version is 1.7.5.6
    I've done a factory reset -> Quicksetup -> Automatic IP etc. = same (no) results.

Any help in solving my problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

afaik you can't use dhcp-spoof but you have to let the wl500g login to xs4all via pptp/pppoe or something

but i'm not familair,

i've tried dhcp spoofing once at my friends house and that did just not work

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Thanks for your reply. But I can't figure out why it works from my PC directly but not from the wl-500g. That doesn't make sense at all. It would be similar to using the wl-500g in combination with a cable modem.

Any ideas how to setup a default route in the wl-500g without installing telnetd and just typing the command ?

Did you try a
    route add default -i eth0

Well, I tried adding the default route and that did not have any effect. I don't think it actually added the route. The route didn't appear in the routing table.

Is there anyone who has the wl-500g setup in home-gateway-mode connected to the KPN-adsl network? If so, then please tell me how you made it working. Thanks.

I'm about to give up on this router.

1) Restore settings to factory default
    2) Upgrade the router firmware to Oleg's 1.7.5.9-2
    3) Setup the router, do not use the Quick setup, check all options, power down the modem, save&restart router, power up the modem, power down and power up the router (suppose you have the router connected to modem already).
    4) Check if you can ping any Internet site from the router itself
    5) Ask your provider for help if it does not work. Otherwise give us some details about IP parameters of all your devices (IP, mask, GW at modem, router, workstation).

I use the exact same setup

speedtouch 510i configured for dhcp spoofing. Connected to WL-500g WAN port

(Connection directly to pc it works).

WL-500g firmware 1.6.5.3 gateway mode...
    Router gets ip address and dns server address from wanadoo.
    Pc get's ipaddress from WL-500g .

Pinging WL-500g works.
    pinging dns server from wannadoo doesn't work.
    Somehow I don't get to the wan port.

I have setup the WL-500g to be able to be configure from WAN.
    Typing in my ip address from wanadoo on a pc (at work) gives me no connection.

I have also tried pptp. With st510 in pptp mode. This works. I can surf the net. But also in this case I can not connected to wl500G from wan.

I have looked through several forums. I cannot find a descent description of how to setup the WL-500g .

Should I also fill in a routing table somewhere
    Can anyone help ?

I could use the OLEG firmware. But I am unfamiliar with linux so I don't know if that's a smart thing to do :-(

I would like to thank Antiloop, eric_bies and Technik for their help.
    I've tried tried your suggestions wherever possible but I still can't get it work.

My setup is so common and the fact that my PC can communicate with the internet without any problems when directly connected to the modem makes me a bit suspicious. Well, I am probably doing something wrong but I've spent too much time on it now.

Don't take it personally but I also don't think for a common configuration as mine, loading various versions of patched firmware releases to get it all going makes a good impression for the product.

Time to move on, I'm getting another router.

Still I would be interested if someone has a working kpn-adsl + wl500g setup working

Thanks again.
    Wino de Vries

KPN - ADSL not working either

Hi All,

I have the same setup MXstream / KPN from XS4ALL. Cannot get it working with the Alcatel Speed Touch home modem. I opend an other thread to ask anyone who has it running.

I gues, you have to setup a PPtP connection to the modem with username/password. Modem has default ip 10.0.0.138. Router gets or via DHCP or hardcoded 10.0.0.150.

In my situation according to the log the connection is fine and open. But none of the connected PC's to the router can surf the internet.

Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by chagemans
    I gues, you have to setup a PPtP connection to the modem with username/password. Modem has default ip 10.0.0.138. Router gets or via DHCP or hardcoded 10.0.0.150.
    Conrad
    What about workstations? Do you have different LAN IP range set?

Finaly my wl500g working with st510 dcp spoofing

Thanks to a tip of Miki (see this threat http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=599) I got my router working with DHCP spoofing.

The problem was the fact that my ip adres was in a different subnet that the gateway of wanadoo.

This didn't resolve however the fact that I cannot access my wan site of therouter via the internet...

greetings,

Kraai

Set up the WL500G as a Access Point not as a Home Gateway!

The WL500 than bridges all wireless stations to the Alcatel Speedtouch 510 as if directly attached.
    No 510 configuration is required.

I had the WL500G up and running within two minutes and needed some extra time to set up WEP and MAC security.

Success.

I had to put in DNS address manualy

Hi All,

I had to put in the DNS addresses from the provider manualy in the DHCP server settings to get the Wl500 working.