Thread: How do i bridge wan+lan on the wl500gp and still have nat?

How do i bridge wan+lan on the wl500gp and still have nat?

i have internet access from a big LAN (3000 clients), and we all have 192.168.x.y ips

i want my laptop and pc to have access to that network, not just the internet line it provides

so i need both NAT + to have the wireless and the 5 ethernet ports on the router bridged together; Is that possible ? the firmware i have is the oleg -pre4, can't remember the exact version number, from what i can see in the web interface, i can't do it, just in ap mode, but then i don't have nat :\

right now i'm using an extra switch to bridge the lan ports to wan, but it's old and doesn't work very well

also, the max transfer speed i could get over wireless is 2.7MB/s
    is that all this router can do ? it's only half of those 54mbit advertised

do the bridge?

Hiya:

Maybe i dont undertand well but when you have nat active with the web configuration if you do in command line

brctl addif br0 eth1

you have a bridge and nat as well.

sorry with my english

Either you are confused or I am - I think it's you.

First off, bridging _and_ NAT doesn't make much sense. With bridging you are essentially putting yourself on the same subnet as the network that you're bridging to, but NAT can't work unless you're on a separate subnet.

From your description of your internet access, I think what you want to do is use NAT and not bridging. You should be able to access the clients on the "big LAN" as long as you're using a separate subnet from them on the true LAN (with respect to your asus router). If the IPs on the big LAN are all 192.168.x.x, then use some 10.x.x.x address for your true LAN. That way, when your computer tries to access a 192.168.x.x address, the router will know it needs to route them out its WAN port to your big LAN.

Bridging your router's LAN with your big LAN could cause some big problems, especially if your using DHCP.

Quote Originally Posted by astudent View Post
    Either you are confused or I am - I think it's you.
    sure

First off, bridging _and_ NAT doesn't make much sense. With bridging you are essentially putting yourself on the same subnet as the network that you're bridging to, but NAT can't work unless you're on a separate subnet. Ok ok i've a router working like and access point.
    true my eht0 ports are all broken i want to access from wan port to same net of wlan. For this reason i do the new bridge. I should disable nat because i dont need it.

so i need both NAT + to have the wireless and the 5 ethernet ports on the router bridged together; Is that possible ? the firmware i have is the oleg -pre4, can't remember the exact version number, from what i can see in the web interface, i can't do it, just in ap mode, but then i don't have nat :\
    If you need the 5 eht ports and wlan in the same subnet you don need NAT because you only have one subnet. If you need 5 eht ports on one subnet an wlan in other sunet you need to broke existing bridge and do a new bride with
    eht0 and eht1 and do nat with itpables.

Thank you.