Thread: New Oleg Firmware for the gP?

New Oleg Firmware for the gP?

Hi Oleg,

is there any chance you will create an updated version of your custom firmware for the wl500gP? Could you find anything that might have caused several routers to die?

Kind regards and keep up the good work,
    sMiLe

Quote Originally Posted by sMiLe View Post
    Hi Oleg,

is there any chance you will create an updated version of your custom firmware for the wl500gP? Could you find anything that might have caused several routers to die?

Kind regards and keep up the good work,
    sMiLe
    Or use OpenWRT, as that seems to be more stable
    http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=5688&p=1

Another alternative I am using at the moment is DD-WRt which is based on openWRT actually. Unfortunately, it does still not come with USB support right out of the box. On the other hand, it can use all ipkg packages provided with openWRT and I have USB with mass storage support up and running. The only thig that does not work, is USB printing, which is important to me. I instaleld the proper packages but it does not recognize my Canon IP4000 . Anyway, it has a nice interface and features, definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by sMiLe View Post
    Another alternative I am using at the moment is DD-WRt which is based on openWRT actually. Unfortunately, it does still not come with USB support right out of the box. On the other hand, it can use all ipkg packages provided with openWRT and I have USB with mass storage support up and running. The only thig that does not work, is USB printing, which is important to me. I instaleld the proper packages but it does not recognize my Canon IP4000 . Anyway, it has a nice interface and features, definitely worth a look.
    Hi sMiLe ,
    I am considering about OpenWRT and DD-WRT? What do you think What is the better choice? Why are you chose DD-WRT?
    Can you tell me a short description how you installed DD-WRT firmware?(What version of package do you use? Is DD-WRT needs any post work? etc)
    What is your observations about DD-WRT vs. Oleg vs. Open-WRT?

Best regards,
    seaky

Regarding dd-wrt

I tried dd-wrt and I was able to set up everything quite ok - including USB until the need to install samba. The default package repositories do not contain a suitable version, so you can't install samba. I did not try to install form alternative sites as maybe the dependency problems still might be worse. So I did not get to enhanced-ctorrent installation either.

What I like about Oleg's firmware is that it is quite well developed and tested. I just do not see how openwrt would be better.

As regards dd-wrt - the web interface is very nice and polished. But there is no place for USB + the above problem makes it a bit pointless too.

DD-WRT is based on openWRT. It has indeed a very nice web interface, more complex and many more options than openWRTs web interface. Unfortunately, r0kanon is right. Some packages (that were originally compiled for openWRT) do not work If you're experienced with Linux and especially netorking stuff, you can be really happy with openWRT. On the other hand, if you fear a CLI and your expectations aren't too extravagant, use DD-WRT or Olegs firmware.

I also like Olegs firmware, thats basically why I started this thread. There were some issues with bricked routers that were using Olegs firmware. After I personally unbricked mine, the problem did not occur again. I just read Oleg is investigating this hardware problem: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6225
    Last edited by sMiLe; 05-09-2006 at 21:17.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Seaky