Thread: Firewalling/bandwidth managing multiple public IP's

Firewalling/bandwidth managing multiple public IP's

Hi guys,

After hours of reading and searching, I can't seem to find a solution for a problem I'm having.

I have multiple public IP addresses through my ISP, and would like to use these adresses on the clients in my network. Currently my network is configured like this:

Code:
                      +------------+             +------+         PC1 (IP: xxx.99.236.82, gateway xxx.99.236.81)
    Internet  <-----> |ADSL Gateway|    <---->   |Switch|  --->   PC2 (IP: xxx.99.236.83, gateway xxx.99.236.81)
                      +------------+             +------+         PC3 (IP: xxx.99.236.84, gateway xxx.99.236.81)
                     IP: xxx.99.236.81
                     with DHCP server
    The bad thing we see here is:
    1) There is no firewall
    2) We can't use bandwidth control

So, I would like to have this setup (also for wireless):

Code:
                      +------------+              +----+             +---------------+         PC1 (IP: xxx.99.236.83)
    Internet  <-----> |ADSL Gateway|    <----> WAN|Asus|LAN<--->     |Switch+wireless|  --->   PC2 (IP: xxx.99.236.84)
                      +------------+              +----+             +---------------+         PC3 (IP: xxx.99.236.85)
                     IP: xxx.99.236.81           Firewalling
                     with DHCP server            Bandwidth mgmt
                                                 IP: xxx.99.236.82
    How can I do this on the Asus? I already installed the hacked firmware, and have several interfaces (eth0, eth1, br0). There are also two vlan's: vlan0 and vlan1. Shouldn't there be three interfaces? (WAN, LAN-hub (bridged) and wireless?) I think it's the best to make a firewalling bridge between WAN on one side, and the LAN and wireless on the other side. How do I do this? And is it also possible to use bandwidth management between WAN <--> LAN and wirelsss when I have a bridge?

I really don't wan't to use NAT, but do want to take advantage of the advanced functions of the WL550gE.

Thanks in advance,

Byteripper.

I'm not into Linux firewalling, but I'm sure there are scripts available on the internet which can be used to build firewall rules. You can paste these rules into the post-firewall script (you need a custom firmware from Oleg for this to function).

Bandwith management can be achieved by using Wondershaper, also available in the custom firmwares from Oleg.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno View Post
    I'm not into Linux firewalling, but I'm sure there are scripts available on the internet which can be used to build firewall rules. You can paste these rules into the post-firewall script (you need a custom firmware from Oleg for this to function).

Bandwith management can be achieved by using Wondershaper, also available in the custom firmwares from Oleg.
    Hi Styno, thanks for your response.

I know I can use linux firewall scripts and the wondershaper script to do the firewalling and traffic shaping. Only thing I need to know is how to set up the routing in my network, because I won't use NAT. Should I use multiple subnets? Or ARP-proxying? Or maybe make a firewalling bridge or something? Also I don't know which one of these options are available in Oleg's firmware and how I can enable them.

Beats me

Sorry.