Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WL-500gP & WDS

WDS 500g - 300g WPA

Hi there,

I tried to setup WDS with my asus 500g and 300g. The 500g is connected to the WAN the 300g should act as a bridge. Both have newest firmware versions.

Both have the same SSID, same channel, same WPA-PSK (AES) password, 500g has dhcp enabled, 300g has not, both have WDS mode hybrid, both have the bridging MAC address of the corresponding AP in their list, both have connect to AP in the list + allow anonymous == on, ssid is not hidden, 500g runs @Home Gateway operation mode, 300g runs @Access Point operation mode.

I can loopkup the 300g but cant obtain an IP if i connect to it. When I connect to it using a static manualy asigned IP, i can reach it under 192.168.1.1 so I assume it doest get an IP for itself. Do I have to tell the 300g somehow to get an IP address from the 500g and to route through other IP requests?

WDS and WPA still doesnt work

Hi,

with no security enabled I can successfully connect together my two wl500gs. The one connected to WAN runs the DHCP, the second one gets an IP for itself and forwards DHCP requests of clients as it should.

I do not see the routers listed in Status&Log/wireless (router is not even listed and especially not authorized) however in dhcp leases i can find the second router.

So everything runs fine besides no entries in status in unsecured mode.
    As soon as i enable WPA-PSK TKIP+AES nothing works anymore. Second router doesnt fetch itself an IP and hence all clients behind the second routers are not even able to connect to it as they also get no IP.

Both run 1.9.5, same ssid, same channel, macs assigned in the bridge menu. same WPA-PSK properties+pass.

any help?

how can I open that shell again where i can type in wl commands. Is there a way to find out what happens? (whether the routers at least try to communicate and what fails?)

thanks heiner

up. why doesnt it work?

do i have to try ddrwt?

Hi ratzfatz,

I use Olegs firmware but I also have the same problem to get a wds-bridge with WPA-PSK run. But finally I found a way.

Set everything up in the Webinterface except wireless lan Access-Control list (Mac-Filter) and Remote-Bridge-List (Mac-Filter between WDS Clients).

Open a telnet or ssh session on the router an try the following commands:

Setup Mac Filter with:

wl mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy

where xx is the mac of the other wl 500g router and yy one or more wireless lan clients seperated by a space.

Setup WDS-Bridge with:

wl wds xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where xx is the mac of the other wl 500g router.

You have to do the same with the other wl500g router, but then you have to use the macs from the first router.

I did a bash-script which is running in my post-boot script:

!/bin/sh
    wl wds xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    sleep 2
    wl mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Best regards

mmX

Question WDS with more than two WL500gP

I remember ASUS was changing the firmware, so that only two WL-500g Premiums were able to build up a network in WDS/ bridge mode.

Did they change it finally?
    I am trying to use 4 Routers. One is providing the internet connection and forwards it to the other 3, which are working as APs.

Will that work?

Thaks, I appreciate your help

WDS How?

Hi people,

I'm a newbe in this things.

I've a simple question, to make WDS with a WL500G with other router. It's possible to this with any protection? Only MAC ADDRESS it's not suficient, and if i make any other else, the WDS don't work, why? Can anyone help me?

Wink easy

go to the 2nd router and ping the first one. If the answer it's not positive, the bridge is not working

Nobody?
    C'mon, it is weekend

I would say: yes can work, depending to your config and kind of connection between the routers.

I've usually (not yet, because my Asus died and I've to configure all again) up to 3 Routers in a WDS connection.
    Ground floor: Inet-Gateway is my Asus
    Garret: Wrt54gl ddwrtV23SP2 with 2x HGA7
    summerhouse: Wrt54gl ddwrtV23SP2 with a self made biquad, about 400m
    (I tried several self made antennas, most of them are just garbage)

My config works pretty good and stable, even when it's rain

I do not know, how many routers can be connected directly to your Asus, but I think, its more a question of physical limitations due to the fact that a wds connection cuts down the transfer rate to a half. Hence, it does not make much sense to me when let us say 5-10 routers are connected to just one. When really necessary, isn't it much better to use a protocol of a mesh network?

Connecting 2xAsus 500g and Asus 330g together

Hi, I hope I came to the right place since I like to equip both my 500s with DD-WRT23v2 firmware to set up my network configuration as shown in the drawing. At this very moment I am using the Davolink only, but it will change soon . My setup is described below, when all works properly I will move on to enable USB(2) support on both Asus routers, I guess I will have to equip both Asus 500g routers with either the mini or nokaid to enable USB support (also for optware). I noticed "Assign WAN Port to Switch" did not work for the Davolink, but maybe I was to impatient and will sort this out later...

1. TELE2 Davolink modem (192.168.1.1/5) should be functioning as a dumb modem, so no NAT, no wireless and no DHCP, also the Asus 500g will be connected via LAN directly to this Davolink modem, possibly via WAN port as said earlier.

2. Asus 500g (192.168.1.6) should be functioning as a WLAN (bridge) to Asus 500g deluxe thus excluding Asus 330g. Also port forwarding (NAT), no DHCP and SID "TEST" and last but not least two wired PCs.

3. Asus 500g deluxe (192.168.1.7) should be functioning as a WLAN (bridge) to Asus 500g, also the Asus 330g should be able to connect to this router. No port forwarding, DHCP server enabled, SID "TEST", one wired PC and USB2 printer support.

4. Asus 330g (192.168.1.8) should be functioning as a WLAN client connecting ONLY to Asus 500g deluxe to "TEST" and one PC enabled

5. Both my Nokia 95 and laptop should be able to connect via DHCP to the Asus 500g Deluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123