Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WL-500gP with 3G USB Modem and Oleg's Firmware

Oh yes! It works now!

The reason - you may not believe this - was the USB cable! I replaced the Huawei USB lead with one from my USB hub and it works great now.

Very weird indeed. I even got the log writings when connecting to the router, the flashing blue light on Huawei and everything. And the log writing about the "address not accepted" is not appearing anymore.

(I also had problems with the same cable when connecting to PC, and the new one works great there too.)

Glad to hear your system works.

Take the longer cable (usually delivered with your E220) with 2 usb-connectors, maybe it helps......

No, actually the *original*, two-headed Huawei cable is the failing one.

One more question, what would be the best solution to see the modem 3G signal level with WL-500?

In Windows I can start a terminal session to E220 and use AT+CSQ command, but how can I use AT commands with Asus? Or is there some other way to monitor the signal level?

Quote Originally Posted by Anttu View Post
    No, actually the *original*, two-headed Huawei cable is the failing one.

One more question, what would be the best solution to see the modem 3G signal level with WL-500?

In Windows I can start a terminal session to E220 and use AT+CSQ command, but how can I use AT commands with Asus? Or is there some other way to monitor the signal level?
    Well, there are several linux tools under development, so it will take some weeks - but useful stuff is always ported fast to often needed systems.
    Hence it's the best to wait a few days/weeks.

As I know from experience, the signal level does'nt tell you anything, because the speed depends much more to the local cell, I've been at places with full signal and very low speed and with low siganl with high speed. Further, you must consider, that there is just one bandwidth - maybe you have to share the bandwidth with others - without any possibility of getting influence.
    Last edited by newbiefan; 22-03-2008 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Add a 'sleep 30' to your post-boot
    I've got the same problem:

If I power cycle (after power failure, moving to another place, etc) the router I get the folowing error:
    pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'

If then I rebbot the router with a software command ('reset' on telnet, or 'Save&Restart' in the web interface) everything works.

It's becoming very anoying to restart the router by software everytime, and if i'm not at home it doesn't self restart after a power failure so that I can access my fileserver at home.

P.S.: I don't have any "USB device not accepting new address" problemes and I've tried to cahnge the cable too and add sleep 30 and even sleep 60 to post-boot and enabled flashfs, but it doesn't make any difference!

1.) use user defined and upload the attached file 'dial.huawei.tar.gz'
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480
    2.) check out vendor=0x12d1 and product=0x1003
    3.) if it doesn't help, let me know
    (check output of 'lsmod' and post result)
    In any case keep a sleep 30 in your post-boot.
    Last edited by newbiefan; 23-03-2008 at 11:52.

Here is several points to the earlier thread...

Dante, I have the same behaviour with my WL-500 and Huawei E220: Power down, removing/replugging the modem or such keeps the connection down until a software reboot.

As a solution I made a "WAN watchdog" script that pings a known address, and if there is no response, the router is rebooted. Originally I thought to place this in post-boot, but ended up to make a script into 5-minute cron. Thus it may recover from modem freezing other than router power downs too. There is also a log where you can follow if there has been restarts.

Here is the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# WAN  watchdog. If WAN interface is down, reboot.

ping_resp=`ping -c 1 yahoo.com`
    if [ "$ping_resp" = "" ]; then
      echo "Rebooted by WAN watchdog:" >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
      date >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
      echo "--------" >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
      reboot
    fi

Newbiefan, I kind of disagree with you about the signal level topic. Of course it may not matter in a good coverage area, but definitely it matters in the the marginal areas. I am importing/selling 3G external antennas and there is quite a bunch of people definitely believing in signal level. Especially those a little outside the coverage without an antenna.

The third issue was the AT commands from WL-500 to a modem. I discovered a trick to do that, but I think I put it as an instruction to another thread.

Option iCON 225 modem with Asus?

Has anybody got Option iCON 225 modem working with WL-500gP + Oleg's FW?

I can well use Huawei E220 and ZadaCOM 3G+, but the iCON does not work. The modem does not appear at all to /dev/tts/, so it is not an APN or dial script issue.
    The system log shows the modem recognized OK, but the log writing familiar from other modem problems is there: Mar 29 09:52:34 pppd[376]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'. The file /dev/usb/tts/0 is not created at all.

Newbie question

Hi all, my boss bought an assus500gp and asked me to try to connect an huawei E220 modem. Followed the great tutorial from "newbiefan" and excelent firmware from Oleg and Engy and..it almost works. The blue modem light is flashing, witch indicates poor signal.Following the tutorial, i make a telnet connection to the assus, enter user and pass but can't go to /tmp/local/sbin/post-boot with vi to add 'wl antidiv 3'. I dont know much of linux but can anyone help how to work with telnet to make this changes???
    Thank you and rgs,
    José, Portugal

Hey José from Portugal,
    the "wl antdiv 3" affects to WLAN side, so unfortunately that is not going to help to get you connected to 3G.
    If you still want to add that, you do not actually need vi or any other eiditor at all. Just give the command:
    Code:
    echo wl antdiv 3 >> /usr/local/sbin/post-boot
    and the line is added to the end of the file.
    You can check the result with "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot". Remember to save the setting to flash with command set "flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable" before next reboot or you'll lose it.

To ensure that the connection between Asus and Huawei is OK, check "Status & Log" menu and there "System Log" and its end side lines. You should see something like:
    Code:
    Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Serial connection established.
    Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Using interface ppp0
    Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
    in there.

If you have
    Code:
    Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'
    instead, Huawei is not talking to Asus. Do software reboot and check the System log again. If still not there, check if the cable is OK with your PC. If still not OK, drop the tail of your system log to this forum.
    BR, Anttu from Finland

Hi anttu from Finland,
    first of all many tks to the reply to this newbie in Linux :-)
    i did all you said. In the System log, i have this:
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Serial connection established.
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Using interface ppp0
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
    Jan 1 00:02:34 pppd[214]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Jan 1 00:02:40 pppd[214]: Connection terminated.
    Jan 1 00:02:41 pppd[214]: Exit.
    and in Telnet:
    asus login: admin
    Password:
    [admin@asus root]$ echo wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
    wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
    [admin@asus root]$ cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot
    -sh: cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
    [admin@asus root]$ "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot"
    -sh: cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
    [admin@asus root]$
    What a mess, i'm really confused, is it possible any more helps???
    With Oleg firmware, it recognises the modem and also have the blue light flashing but she should kept fix, not flashing to have good signal.
    Many tks to all,rgds,
    José-Portugal
    Last edited by webwolf; 31-03-2008 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by webwolf View Post
    Hi anttu from Finland,
    first of all many tks to the reply to this newbie in Linux :-)
    i did all you said. In the System log, i have this:
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Serial connection established.
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Using interface ppp0
    Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
    Jan 1 00:02:34 pppd[214]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Jan 1 00:02:40 pppd[214]: Connection terminated.
    Jan 1 00:02:41 pppd[214]: Exit.
    and in Telnet:
    asus login: admin
    Password:
    [admin@asus root]$ echo wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
    wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
    [admin@asus root]$ cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot
    -sh: cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
    [admin@asus root]$ "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot"
    -sh: cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
    [admin@asus root]$
    What a mess, i'm really confused, is it possible any more helps???
    With Oleg firmware, it recognises the modem and also have the blue light flashing but she should kept fix, not flashing to have good signal.
    Many tks to all,rgds,
    José-Portugal
    Don't worry!
    Do it step by step.
    Open a console on your router (telnet, att. space before and after >>)
    Code:
    echo "wl antdiv 3" >> /tmp/local/sbin/post-boot
    then (attention there is a space after cat!!!)
    Code:
    cat /tmp.local/sbin/post-boot
    If you see the following (something like this, you are fine):
    Code:
    #!bin/sh
    wl antdiv 3
    Now store your post-boot with:
    Code:
    flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot
    wait until reboot is finished - when your Modem is flashing green or blue, everything should be ok.

Open again a console - if your modem does not connect, do a
    Code:
    killall pppd
    and wait a minute.
    If your modem does not connect (and blue light is solid on), then connect it with your notebook (mobile connect) and search for the best place. Sometimes the signal is very low (dependent to distance aso), hence your modem can't connect.

Tomorrow, I'll post a script which connects without reboot and with the use of different web-addresses for connection-checking.
    Last edited by newbiefan; 31-03-2008 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Anttu View Post
    As a solution I made a "WAN watchdog" script that pings a known address, and if there is no response, the router is rebooted.
    Good job, therefore I've stolen your script and implemented some adjustments.
    Now you can get a new connection without rebooting, or without loosing your wireless connection to your router.
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=91200&postcount=4

Newbiefan, I kind of disagree with you about the signal level topic. Of course it may not matter in a good coverage area, but definitely it matters in the the marginal areas. I am importing/selling 3G external antennas and there is quite a bunch of people definitely believing in signal level. Especially those a little outside the coverage without an antenna.
    Well, nothing to say against a good antenna - I use at my systers alpine cabine an old sat-dish with my Huawei E220 as feeder to get a stable connection and I agree, the signal is sginificantly (unbelieveable) improved. The only thing is that many people do not know anything about cell to cell-connections and for instance, that most of the cells can provide just approx. 2mbit maximum, hence when 10 people using the same cell, the bandwidth is extremly limited - and what I meant - this has nothing to do with a signal level, because it can well be, that you get an excellent signal but a very low speed.

The third issue was the AT commands from WL-500 to a modem. I discovered a trick to do that, but I think I put it as an instruction to another thread.
    Well, it would be good to know all AT-commands which are supported by a huawei modem. Anyhow, I'll do a search for this - if we would find a solution to get signal strength aso, we can write script......or implement it in webif.
    If you find a list, please post it.

Excellent!

But no cigar yet , since there is one but..

Every now and then (read: often) when E220 goes to the "Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'- state", pppd disappears and cannot be killed. It is not shown with ps and killall says: no process killed.

We would need to check somehow if the pppd can be killed or not, and if that is not possible then go to stronger action like reboot. E.g. greping the killall response could be the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anttu

We would need to check somehow if the pppd can be killed or not, and if that is not possible then go to stronger action like reboot. E.g. greping the killall response could be the switch.
    Kiillall or rebooting dependent to running pppd is included in the new watch_wan - have done it on the fly - anyway thx for suggestion.
    Have not tested yet, will do it in the late afternoon......

But what I've done so far:
    Covered several times my modem with my hand until connection is lost -
    within some seconds, connection is back again.
    What remains:
    unplug usb cable and check what happens with the new script

Edit: A check shows, when starting watch_wan in postboot with '/tmp/local/sbin/watch_wan &'
    the script detects a not running pppd and is calling for reboot.
    A sleep 60 right before 'while [true ]' solves this, because the modem is up and pppd is running within the 2 minutes.
    Further, this happens just first time of calling script as it's outside of the endless loop - therefore it has no negative influence.
    Last edited by newbiefan; 01-04-2008 at 15:10.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast