Thread: Internet Radio with WL500g with TwonkeyVision and an USB-Stick

Internet Radio with WL500g with TwonkeyVision and an USB-Stick

To listen to internet radio and some (a few) of my mp3's I have decided to plug in a USB-Stick into my WL500g and install twonkyvision on it. I have recently bought twonkyvision for this purpose. But I really need help. I have already asked in the german section for help, but I think they were unwilling or maybe unable to help me. I don't want a step-by-step tutorial but i have some questions and would be very pleased, when some people could give me some advices. And here are my questions

1) The installation procedure, is it comparable with the procedure with an WL-HDD? Or maybe is it exactly the same?

2) For installing software at all, i need to install the ipkg package at first, right?

3) After this it is need to install an update of ipkg, is this correct?

4) The installation of this stuff happens directly on the stick? Or do I install in this case directly onto the WL500g? BTW: How much memory does the WL500g have ?

5) Then I can make TwonkyVision to automatically start when the router is turned on. This is what you call automounting of the USB stick, am I right? That would mean, TV is installed on the stick ?

6) I have learned, that I have to create an ext3 (linux-readable) partition. Additionally, for the remaining space on the USB-Stick i can create a fat 32 partition. So I can copy some of my mp3's on the fat32. What about this socalled 'swap'-partition. Is this an aditional (a further third ) partition or is the ext3 partition simply called as swap?

7) To copy the mp3's from pc to stick works both over network (samba) and simply plugging the stick into my pc? Both Methods will work?

8) And what is going to happen, when I someday plug off the stick from the WL500g? Is then something is missing and i can expect some malfunction?

9) In the next weeks TV Version 4.0 is going to be released. Is the deinstallation of an older version possible, or better is it too complex?

Maybe this all is somewhat annoying for you but I am really not into this linux stuff. Should I therfore capitulate ? I really would like to have this getting to work.

...thread can be closed. I solved the problems.

Maybe you could share your newly acquired knowledge with the rest of us?

I am also planning to install TwonkyVision and I am looking for other peoples expeciences.

Twonky

Hi,

I'm running Twonkymusic on my wl500gx. Twonkymedia say that it is unsupported/wont work, but it runs fine here, serving 6k mp3s.

Just remember to set up some swap space. Also, get the version built for the wl-hdd.

It wasn't that hard to get it running, though I don't remember the exact details, I just messed around with it until I had it working, took about an hour.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

/Jens

I am still ın Turkey (btw fantastic country), enjoying here still my holıdays. Will make some comments on how to install TV on a WL500g when I am back home. CU