Thread: Next bug in 1.0.42?

Next bug in 1.0.42?

Could someone please verify the following:

Switching from "Password based share access" to "User based share access" results in non-working workgroups on WinXP machines (in XP click on "show workgroup members" in your network neighborhood)

Well, I can tell you that I'm not able to browse my Workgroup computers anymore, so I can confirm it. But I can't be sure if it's a real bug in the router or not. You can still access those computer directly, by typing "\\computername" in the address bar of windows explorer

Remco

@ralam

it's defintitely a bug with the firmware of the wl700gE.
    If you would switch back to password based share access (don't do that unless you like to get rid of all your user accounts you've created), browsing through your workgroup would work again. I tried it several times.

workgroups

I also have the problem of not being able to browse the workgroup any more - I thought maybe the problem was introduced with the 1.0.4.6 firmware.

Even when it was working, the entry for the wl700g did not provide any access - using the ip address as a share name does.

I get this behaviour both from winxp clients and also the xbox media centre.

JOC

Not sure if this helps... i had the same issue on Windows XP but as soon as i turned on my UPnP from firewall, something changed.

Good luck..also waiting for next firmware fix as this one sucks

workgroups and upnp

Turned it on - off - no difference.

Same with the media player option.

Using the User based security makes no difference either.

If you go to Manage in My Computer - Event Viewer - System and look for errors from NetBT you might find something like -

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NetBT
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4321
    Date: 09/24/2006
    Time: 8:45:53 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: CPC-6128
    Description:
    The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.2. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.1 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

I think this is the problem.

JOC
    Last edited by thefoolmonty; 24-09-2006 at 13:39.