Thread: wl700gE modifications

wl700gE modifications

I reconfigured busybox to enable login and telnetd. recompiled and flashed the new firmware. telned for some reason did not start.

then I changed services_ex.c file to start utelnetd (it is inculed in GPL source). reflashed again.

utelned works and even asks for username and password. I logged in as root. without password. tried to change password - unsuccesfully I guess because passw file is read only.

So it seems that if we want to make modifications in firmware, we have to find out where to create writeable filesystem. there are 2 options:

1) use usb memory stick
    2) repartition HDD.

Witch one is better?

Hi, as already mentioned in another thread there is an easy possibility to secure your telnet.

passwd from busybox will not work. You only need to add "login"

the real passwd-file is on hdd

there is a symlink from /etc/passwd to /tmp/passwd and that's a symlink to /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd

(easiest way is to compile the editor vi with busybox - telnet to your router [.cgi-trick] and edit the passwd-file in __pdc [copy e.g. the encrypted password from a share to root]; after that compile login and you will have at least a bit more secure telnet)

USB stick would be a more preferable solution since it will let the hard drive spin down when not been used for samba/etc.

LK

I have successfully compiled the ssh server dropbear for the wl700ge.

Still trying to find out how to add it to the startup scripts.

I also wanted to replace the mt-daapd but I still have serveral errors while compiling libid3tag.

After that I try ipdk. That wouldn't be easy I think^^

Quote Originally Posted by DaNawq
    I have successfully compiled the ssh server dropbear for the wl700ge.

Still trying to find out how to add it to the startup scripts.

I also wanted to replace the mt-daapd but I still have serveral errors while compiling libid3tag.

After that I try ipdk. That wouldn't be easy I think^^
    you can add startup at services_ex.c in function start_misc()?! there is an example how to start utelnetd daemon.

I'm sorry, but right now I'm very busy and cant spend too much time playing with this.

Is the ssh secure? DId you manage to set up login for ssh? how can you change or set password for root account?

Difference to telnet is that the traffic itself is now encrypted too.

It also uses the passwd file from /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/

With apache comes a tool to generate passwords for the .htaccess just paste them in the passwd and compile login from busybox.

After that telnet and ssh work with login.

Hey MoD and DaNawq: Sounds like you know what you're doing with the firmware compilation and flashing. Could either of you be persuaded to write up a tutorial or two for the tutorial section? Maybe one on compiling the available sources and emergency procedures for when the router gets bricked?

I think I could probably work it out on my own, but if you have already worked around many problems then my time would be better spent working from what you have already accomplished.

EDIT: you already did .. my bad. Thx for the guide :$
    Last edited by AverySimonsen; 11-09-2006 at 20:15.