Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Make an expansion board with a serial port(s) for WL-500b/g

Mine AP serial starts with 38.

okay.. if your MAC address is beginning with 00:0E this will NOT mean this is revision 2.40

one of my wl500g's has 00:0e as beginning of the MAC address but is revision 1.40 this one has 3C as starting of the serial

can someone check with serial beginning with 41 if he has got a revision 2.40 ?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I have an old ISA multiport board, I'll check if I can extract the UART
    If I can't, I can use a TL16C550CN (datasheet) available from digikey, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gryle
    I have an old ISA multiport board, I'll check if I can extract the UART
    If I can't, I can use a TL16C550CN (datasheet) available from digikey, right?
    Use a hot-air gun for a chip extraction if you have any.
    You can definitely use the mentioned chip as well.

Hi Technik

Can you make a clearer drawing of the Pinheader ?
    8051 Bus IO Chips are widely avaliable and can controll several things if they can be hooked up to the router .

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi Technik

Can you make a clearer drawing of the Pinheader ?
    8051 Bus IO Chips are widely avaliable and can controll several things if they can be hooked up to the router .
    OK, I am going to make a better schematic image finally. Unfortunately I have detected a problem with Linux console - bidirectional communication is not reliable - characters are garbled so it's almost unusable. I am analyzing what's the problem because in PMON everything works fine. As I am using 16c450 chip without buffer, maybe that's the main reason....

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    OK, I am going to make a better schematic image finally. Unfortunately I have detected a problem with Linux console - bidirectional communication is not reliable - characters are garbled so it's almost unusable. I am analyzing what's the problem because in PMON everything works fine. As I am using 16c450 chip without buffer, maybe that's the main reason....
    Can you use/set parity for your connection? That should eliminate the garbled characters...

Is this supposed to work with wl500gx too?

I don't know much about these things, but why do we need that winbond IC? What's it doing? I saw serveral howtos for wrt54g, which only requires rs232 ic.
    Josephus
    HuWiCo - Hungarian Wireless Community
    http://www.huwico.hu

wl500gx should work in the same way as wrt54g, it does not need an external uart.

Aynone has a better schematics?
    There are some things that I don't understand on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    Aynone has a better schematics?
    There are some things that I don't understand on this one...
    OK, check the updated post here: http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=3312&postcount=3
    The bottom file should be a bit better.
    Last edited by Technik; 13-02-2005 at 23:22.

Hi

I wonder how the Serial port is done on this Microsoft Box with Broadcom Chip. 4702 is the same as in wl500, but the board has only a 12pin connector labelt with rs232 which is not enough for a 8bit Bus interface...

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi

I wonder how the Serial port is done on this Microsoft Box with Broadcom Chip. 4702 is the same as in wl500, but the board has only a 12pin connector labelt with rs232 which is not enough for a 8bit Bus interface...

Greets
    Do you mean MN700 box mentioned in another thread? The 12 pin connector is JTAG and 10 pin connector labeled UART - that's the correct one. It is probably set of UART pins at TTL/CMOS levels. So any MAX232 compatible chip should be used to convert these levels to RS232. You need to explore the board to identify the connector pins assignment (or get a board schematics somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    OK, check the updated post here: http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=3312&postcount=3
    The bottom file should be a bit better.
    that's a lot better, thanx!

Now, question: I have an old board, from an XT i think.
    the UART is a SiS 82C450 and near it it's a 18.432MHz XTAL. Do you think it will work as it should, with a 13 MHz XTAL?

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    that's a lot better, thanx!

Now, question: I have an old board, from an XT i think.
    the UART is a SiS 82C450 and near it it's a 18.432MHz XTAL. Do you think it will work as it should, with a 13 MHz XTAL?

Thanx!
    I am afraid you HAVE TO use a 13 MHz XTAL (in ideal case it should be 12.75 MHz +/- 5%).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast