Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How-to: Avoid those crazy feelings when you have messed up your router :)

I have a big trouble here that my brick seems dead after flashing the openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx . All light gone.

I had follow all the above step with difference combination of EZ-setup button release pattern. Somehow what if I release immediate after first ready flash will give one or two Reply. If i just keep pressing till the Ready light off it just don:t give any reply at all.

here is my ping echo.

Hardware error.
    Hardware error.
    Hardware error.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 << Only if I release the button at the first ready first.
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 << Only if I release the button at the first ready first.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Anything i did wrongly? seems you all could ping the box good during tftp right?

~May

you could try to install the openwrt.trx file again

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/24

or you could try to install the 1.0.4.2 trx file

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/54
    http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8070

turn it on, wait a little bit and then press the reset button for 5-10 seconds...

then try to install the 1.0.4.2.nas file like there is written

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6266 --> the different way --> The original was written by DaNawq

maybe it works

grat182

Kiss you GR. The 20sec reset action did the job.

~May
    Last edited by iczfirz; 19-06-2007 at 02:43.

Angry Failed WL 700 GE - Need to Access Hard Drive

Read everyone's postings and I see I'm not the only one who's gone through this.

My WL 700ge has gone thru the same problems - blinking blue lights - can't load up etc... read all the threads and had difficulty executing the instructions as I'm Mac/Apple based and can't seem to reinstall the firmware.

I then brought my WHITE BRICK over to the ASUS dealer and they were really helpful - and service exceeded my expectations when they whipped out a new WHITE BRICK and gave it to me... told me that that's what they are supposed to do and that they don't do data recovery on the hard drive.... !!!! I broke a cold sweat as I'd just moved some wedding pictures into the drive as TEMP STORAGE and don't have a back up ...

This is what I have:

1. They have swapped an entire new router and loaned me the hard drive so that I can attempt date recovery...

2. I am attempting to use some data recovery tool on PC to try to recover this - but I'm not sure if I can do it as its taken a full day for the computer to read the drive and extract information.

3. I am sure that there is no FATAL ERROR on the drive and that it's not a mechanical failure.

4. The information on the drive is still intact - when we swapped the drive on the router (at the ASUS service center) and tried to re-boot the router, we managed to access the drive for a while - but after that it just failed to boot up again.

So here is my question:
    a. How can I access information on my old ASUS WL 700ge hard drive?
    b. Are there options for me to read and retrieve my information without reinstalling the firmware?

Can someone help me and advice me as to how I can recover this data that had been previously stored on my hard drive - there is nothing wrong with the drive - just that the firmware has corrupted and the WHITE BRICK is unable to boot up and allow me to

Would appreciate any help that I can get with this - cause I'm in deep POO POO when my wife finds out that it was my smart idea to store the wedding photos in the hard drive (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by zuluzee View Post
    Would appreciate any help that I can get with this - cause I'm in deep POO POO when my wife finds out that it was my smart idea to store the wedding photos in the hard drive (sigh)
    What's your level of Linux experience? The more your have, the shallower your POO POO pile.

- K.C.

No Linux Experience - I guess I need to get help

I don't have any experience with LINUX- but can I get clarifications if all the directions provided in the forum based on LINUX and not applicable for my machine running on XP?

The router runs Linux so the easiest way to get your data back is to drop the old HDD into another Linux box and mount the 3rd partitition (it's a Reiserfs). Then copy the data to something more convenient.

If you're unfamiliar with Linux, these steps can be difficult. Perhaps you can find a local Linux user to help you out.

- K.C.

So here is my question:
    a. How can I access information on my old ASUS WL 700ge hard drive?
    b. Are there options for me to read and retrieve my information without reinstalling the firmware?
    I was faced with a similar problem - but not with anything as important as wedding photos luckily!

I came across some utilities that claim to let you access EXT2/EXT3 format drives in windows but didn't manage to get them to work. BUT I am anything but an expert in these things so maybe you could? I tried this tool (there are others too):

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/

Good luck!

In my case I accidentally pulled out the network cable during a FW upgrade and my WL700gE was bricked, I couldn't even ping it. I got a new router and moved on. BUT last weekend I realised I needed some files that were ONLY on the Asus. Damn!

After much messing around, I can say my WL700gE is back up and running thanks to all the advice in this post above. I HAD actually tried this before. But I really needed those files so I gave it another shot today and presto - my routers back!

Thanks for the tips people! Btw I now use a real NAS (Readynas NV+) and use the D-Link DIR 655 router.

Exclamation Where I am With My White Brick's Hardrive

So the saga continues with my ASUS ROUTER.

Let me recap the situation for everyone - in case it might have gotten lost in the thread.

1. Had a ASUS router and was happy to use it as an temp storage drive and started consolidating my information onto router.
    2. Did an successful firmware update and could get the white brick to get going again.
    3. Sent back to equipment dealer and they were extremely pro-active to swap a new working router for me but couldn't retrieve any information.
    4. Have a new router and the old hard drive with my data still on it.

Got a few suggestions:

a. Recovery Tool
    Suggested to use: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/
    To access disk and obtain information. But after 3 days of scanning the drive I got an recovery of the files - but with no file names only numbers - so that's no use at all as it will be "hell" to go thru each and every file to figure out what it is... there's about 80GB of information there.

But at least one consolation - the information is still intact ??? So this brings be back to the same place I started out - a LINUX based hard drive that I don't have access to - or at least access to the information that is not manageable.

b. Access by LINUX
    Suggested by CHIMBORAZO to refer to MUMSOFT's post at:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Suggestion was to download KNOPPIX from www.knoppix.org and re-write partition so that LINUX based application can view and copy folders.

Have a few questions:

a. Downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso - but there were 2 other files that I don't know what they are for:

(1)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc (2)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc

Do I need these files?

b. Instructions from MUMSOFT asks me to backup MBR or first 512 bytes.
    Can someone clarify - where does it back up to? I mean it gives specific instructions to type:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=asus-mbr-original bs=512 count=1"

But I am not sure how/and where LINUX back saves this? I am not a familiar LINUX user so am going with the instructions step by step... and exactly as how the instructions spell it...

c. Restoring MBR
    MUMSOFT says taht we need to restore MBR in order to get it to work...
    - What is an MBR?
    - If the MBR doesn't work in the first place - where do you get it? The saved MBR is faulty isn't it? I'm not clear as to this part of the instructions

Thank you for everyone's patience - the thread is a wealth of resource - but sometimes is quite confusing especially for a newbie like me who has limited resource and capabilities when it comes to LINUX.

d. File Names
    If I am able to recover and open the hard drive for reading will I see the files with names or will it have numbers like the DISK RECOVERY program..

Many thanks in advance to everyone for help and inputs - I really appreciate it if you could walk me thru these questions.... maybe if some kind soul is willing to help speak with me and clarify these questions thru (skype or messenger) and help me thru this I would appreciate it..

So the saga continues with my ASUS ROUTER.
    Got a few suggestions:

a. Recovery Tool
    Suggested to use: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/
    To access disk and obtain information. But after 3 days of scanning the drive I got an recovery of the files - but with no file names only numbers - so that's no use at all as it will be "hell" to go thru each and every file to figure out what it is... there's about 80GB of information there.
    This recovery tool is not useful because the format of the Asus disk is not EXT2 or EXT3, but ReiserFS. You can see it as NTFS or FAT as is used by Windows, but it is of course not the same. It is the way information is stored on the disk.

b. Access by LINUX
    Suggested by CHIMBORAZO to refer to MUMSOFT's post at:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Suggestion was to download KNOPPIX from www.knoppix.org and re-write partition so that LINUX based application can view and copy folders.

Have a few questions:

a. Downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso - but there were 2 other files that I don't know what they are for:

(1)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc (2)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc

Do I need these files?
    They are provided to prove to you that the iso file you downloaded is intact and not a falsification.
    I think that when you burn the DVD your software will tell you the md5 or sha1 fingerprint so you can compare this to the ascii files. It's a matter of trust.

b. Instructions from MUMSOFT asks me to backup MBR or first 512 bytes.
    Can someone clarify - where does it back up to? I mean it gives specific instructions to type:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=asus-mbr-original bs=512 count=1"

But I am not sure how/and where LINUX back saves this? I am not a familiar LINUX user so am going with the instructions step by step... and exactly as how the instructions spell it...

c. Restoring MBR
    MUMSOFT says taht we need to restore MBR in order to get it to work...
    - What is an MBR?
    - If the MBR doesn't work in the first place - where do you get it? The saved MBR is faulty isn't it? I'm not clear as to this part of the instructions
    Okay, first, MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's just the very first 512 bytes of a disk. It's not Linux specific, just a computer term. Google for it and find out.
    Second, dd uses 'if' for Input File, and 'of' for Output File. In the instructions you see only a filename without a directory (asus-mbr-original), so this file goes where you are. Probably in the home directory of your Knoppix session. But you must make sure you KEEP this file, and Knoppix is just only there as long as you use it. You could try a floppy (fd0) or a fat partition on your pc's hard disk. But you need some understanding of the way Linux sees floppies (fd0, fd1,...) and hard disks (hda, hda1, hda2,... hda5 etc).

Remember, if you don't need to use the disk in the Asus anymore, there is no real need to keep the original MBR for restoring.

With FDISK you will write a new MBR, one that is usable for Knoppix, but unusable for Asus. As said, this information occupies only 512 bytes, far out of the way of your own data, that will not be touched.

d. File Names
    If I am able to recover and open the hard drive for reading will I see the files with names or will it have numbers like the DISK RECOVERY program..
    You will see it with names of course. Just as the screenshot in my original posting, or similar. At least, so should it be.

Marc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12