Quote Originally Posted by zuluzee View Post
So the saga continues with my ASUS ROUTER.
Got a few suggestions:

a. Recovery Tool
Suggested to use: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/
To access disk and obtain information. But after 3 days of scanning the drive I got an recovery of the files - but with no file names only numbers - so that's no use at all as it will be "hell" to go thru each and every file to figure out what it is... there's about 80GB of information there.
This recovery tool is not useful because the format of the Asus disk is not EXT2 or EXT3, but ReiserFS. You can see it as NTFS or FAT as is used by Windows, but it is of course not the same. It is the way information is stored on the disk.

b. Access by LINUX
Suggested by CHIMBORAZO to refer to MUMSOFT's post at:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Suggestion was to download KNOPPIX from www.knoppix.org and re-write partition so that LINUX based application can view and copy folders.

Have a few questions:

a. Downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso - but there were 2 other files that I don't know what they are for:

(1)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc (2)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc

Do I need these files?
They are provided to prove to you that the iso file you downloaded is intact and not a falsification.
I think that when you burn the DVD your software will tell you the md5 or sha1 fingerprint so you can compare this to the ascii files. It's a matter of trust.

b. Instructions from MUMSOFT asks me to backup MBR or first 512 bytes.
Can someone clarify - where does it back up to? I mean it gives specific instructions to type:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=asus-mbr-original bs=512 count=1"

But I am not sure how/and where LINUX back saves this? I am not a familiar LINUX user so am going with the instructions step by step... and exactly as how the instructions spell it...

c. Restoring MBR
MUMSOFT says taht we need to restore MBR in order to get it to work...
- What is an MBR?
- If the MBR doesn't work in the first place - where do you get it? The saved MBR is faulty isn't it? I'm not clear as to this part of the instructions
Okay, first, MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's just the very first 512 bytes of a disk. It's not Linux specific, just a computer term. Google for it and find out.
Second, dd uses 'if' for Input File, and 'of' for Output File. In the instructions you see only a filename without a directory (asus-mbr-original), so this file goes where you are. Probably in the home directory of your Knoppix session. But you must make sure you KEEP this file, and Knoppix is just only there as long as you use it. You could try a floppy (fd0) or a fat partition on your pc's hard disk. But you need some understanding of the way Linux sees floppies (fd0, fd1,...) and hard disks (hda, hda1, hda2,... hda5 etc).

Remember, if you don't need to use the disk in the Asus anymore, there is no real need to keep the original MBR for restoring.

With FDISK you will write a new MBR, one that is usable for Knoppix, but unusable for Asus. As said, this information occupies only 512 bytes, far out of the way of your own data, that will not be touched.

d. File Names
If I am able to recover and open the hard drive for reading will I see the files with names or will it have numbers like the DISK RECOVERY program..
You will see it with names of course. Just as the screenshot in my original posting, or similar. At least, so should it be.

Marc