Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WLAN Connection speed A716 / Wl500g

Hi Antiloop

Did some testing on wrt54g too, indeed most of the time connection drops to 2 or 1 mbit, although i had some stable connections at 11mbits, once connected at 11 mbits it stays connected at that speed, used channels 9 and 13.
    I also did some testing on my Cisco AP342 and connection is always 11 mbit, with or without WEP, 64 and 128 bit, on all channels, both with long and short preamble, so it is possible
    Could it have anything with the broadcomm chip, as far as i know, used in both the WL500G and the WRT54G ?
    No comment from Asus yet ?

Hi Antilloop

Today I could finally lay my hand on the WL-HDD ,btw great machine, and guess what, the A716 connects , even at channel 6, with 11 mb, beats me, I'm quit sure the WL-HDD is using the broadcomm chip too,

I rearranged the whole sysstem to channel 10 and now the A716 connects always at 11mb

Still no solution from Asus yet, allthough the present situation is workable, i still like to solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by ceesmf
    Hi Antilloop

Today I could finally lay my hand on the WL-HDD ,btw great machine, and guess what, the A716 connects , even at channel 6, with 11 mb, beats me, I'm quit sure the WL-HDD is using the broadcomm chip too,

I rearranged the whole sysstem to channel 10 and now the A716 connects always at 11mb

Still no solution from Asus yet, allthough the present situation is workable, i still like to solve the problem
    OT: can you make some pics of the inside of the WL-HDD or is it warranty sealed?

anyway it's strange though..

and may i ask what you've paid for it? and where you got it in holland

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Antiloop,
    I can do that after the weekend, bought it without hdd, so "no seal" got it from Mycom, most shops of them stock them now (afak the only in the Netherlands) paid 129 excl HDD, the USB (2.0 !) port automatically copy's the content of a memory stick to the hdd, every time to a subsequent directory, guess you guys can transform it to a "real" usb port
    The user interface is almost identical to the wl500g in AP mode, except for some changes for access control of the HDD

nice.. can you make some pics of the UI too?

also weird price 129,- we even don't sell it for that price.. and we are normally more expensive than mycom

price should be approx 105,- at this moment

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Antiloop,

Here are the photo's
    seems I can only attach one at a time
    Attached Images Attached Images  

next,
    Since yesterday, the A716 refuses to connect to either the wl500g and the Wl-hdd with WEP enabld, even after a hard reset. Connection without WEP, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by ceesmf
    next,
    Since yesterday, the A716 refuses to connect to either the wl500g and the Wl-hdd with WEP enabld, even after a hard reset. Connection without WEP, no problem
    very strange?? haven't had any of this issues yet (atm i'm owner of 2 A716's)
    does this happen with other AP's too?

ceesmf

Re: WL-HDD
    I've been waiting for these to come out...
    Would you mind answering a couple of questions?
    What is the size and weight of the unit?
    Does it have a built in battery?
    What voltage does it run off?
    Is there an easily accessable on off switch?
    Is connection pretty much instantaneous at switch on?
    I can't find a listing for the WL-HDD anywhere in the world except the Netherlands???
    Comptech World
    MyCom 40GB
    MyCom 60GB
    Do you know of any English sites that might ship to Australia?

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Holo

I searched a long time too , till I found Mycom stock them (Comptech not !)
    AS you can see from the photo, pretty small, slighty bigger than the 2,5 inch harddisk, it runs on 5V, 2A adapter, I use it in my car on a Ipaq adapter no problem, sure Mycom will ship to Australia against costs, though it should be available soon everywhere
    Bought mie without HDD (E 129)
    You can swith it off via the webinterface, all switches are at the front,
    power on by recycling the power or by the switch; nice if you do'nt use your car for a long period as it will drain the battery after 1 to 2 weeks
    Only problem I found, when connected both wired and via WDS , your whole network performance goes down, which is logical, has even it's own DHCP server build in

Thanks ceesmf!

Much appreciated!
    I've done a few enquiries with some Asus dealers in Australia and I am waiting to hear back from them - else I'll try Mycom. I couldn't find a listing for the bare unit on the Mycom site but that doesn't matter too much I guess.
    Just making sure...
    No built-in battery? Yes?
    It can be used as a stand-alone wireless harddrive - no access point required? Yes?
    Typically, how are you using yours?
    Can you load files and play MP3s directly from it?
    My use would be to have a heap of PDFs files on it - 6 to 10GB - to access from it from both desktop and PDA - would this be what it is designed for?

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Holo,

no, unfortunetely no battery, and also no space to add one,
    Its , at your choice, an AP and bridge at the same time
    I even managed to run my tomtom navigator maps from it albeit a little bit slow for that.
    I have mesured the start-uptime, but it's less then 10 seconds
    I do the same wirh mp3's ' in the neighbourhood of my house I can upload / download files, using the wds link to my asus wl500G, it reconnects automatic when I return in the neighbourhood, you have to give your ipaq a fixed ip and also the wlhdd, although it has it own dhcp server, it will conflict with your regular dhcp server

Thanks again ceesmf!

No luck in Australia :-(
    I'll try MyCom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12