Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WLAN Connection speed A716 / Wl500g

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WLAN Connection speed A716 / Wl500g

Antiloop,

In one of your topics you mentioned that your A716 only connects at 1 or 2 mb ; I have the same problem, although when I disable the wlan and insert a CF card (Symbol) it connects at full speed ( same AP/WEP keys)
    To other AP's (cisco,linksys) I can connect also full speed
    Other Wlan card's like Cisco PCM342 ,linksys 54 Mbit and Orinoco cards can also connect to Wl500g at full speed (beit 11 Mbit or 54 Mbit)

Only the combination A716 / Wl500g causes trouble (2 Mbit is too slow to play mp3 or read tomtom cards (I use the wl500g in my car together with usb hdd en A716 , the whole combo connects via wds to my "home" in order to download new music overnight ; probably the first mobile wl500g ?)

yes indeed, i don't have problems with other cards for instance PCCard (PCMCIA) the WLAN of my A716 connect without problems at 11mbit to my antique WL300(not G!!), the weird thing is when resetting the wl500g and my mypal is turned on it reconnects at 11mbit untill i disconnect and reconnect again. So out of that theory it seems something during startup or some negotiating whatever is causing the 2mbit problem

i also own a Asus WL110 card, but haven't tried it yet in my A716. And my A620 is at asus for mainboard replacement. IF i have time i'll try the wl110 in my a716 and we'll see at which speed it will connect

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

okay i've figured out how the A716 will connect at 11Mbps

you have to perform this command (set it as bootCmdX if you are using a Custom FW)

i've tested this with FW 1.8.1.3, are wireless settings are default in the WL500g

Code:
    wl suprates 11
    Definition:
    suprates
    Returns or sets the 11g override for the supported rateset
    With no args, returns the rateset. Args are a list of rates,
    or 0 or -1 to specify an empty rateset to clear the override.
    List of rates are in Mbps, example: 1 2 5.5 11

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hi Antiloop,
    tried your solution (fw 1.8.5.2) but same problem
    first connect 11mb (after reboot of both devices), after a re-connect only 1 or 2 mb
    I think the problem lies in the A716, not the wl500g, as all other cards connect and reconnect with 11mb
    I will try to get support from Asus

sorry typo in fw must be 1.7.5.9-2

Quote Originally Posted by ceesmf
    Hi Antiloop,
    tried your solution (fw 1.8.5.2) but same problem
    first connect 11mb (after reboot of both devices), after a re-connect only 1 or 2 mb
    I think the problem lies in the A716, not the wl500g, as all other cards connect and reconnect with 11mb
    I will try to get support from Asus
    asus is already occupied with it... i'm testing it with them

are you sure the suprates was set correctly?

check it with

Code:
    wl suprates

i've just discovered something weird..
    when connecting to my other wl500g (that one had always been in WPA-PSK TKIP+AES mode, turned it back to test this)
    IT PERFECTLY connects at 11Mbps!?!? without performing the wl suprates command..

this is very strange... i'll try to find out why now..
    Last edited by Antiloop; 18-07-2004 at 00:20.

HI Antiloop
    To make things worse , I have four WL500g's, 1 central as gateway, the others as accespoints and bridging to the central one, by using different SSID's you can have 4 "different networks " the suprates trick works on the wl500g in "gateway mode", it connects and reconnects at 11mb but refuses to authenticate after reconnecting, neither with the asus utility nor with cironds winc for pocketpc (wich seems to use the profiles, created by the asus utility). In accespoint mode still the some old story (1 or 2mb only),
    I checked with "wl suprates" and it reported "11" ; so that's ok
    When I switch off Wlan and insert my Symbol CF card, no problem at all
    Because of the brdiging I can only use WEP, WPA is not supported (yet?)

Hi Antiloop

Did some testing on wrt54g too, indeed most of the time connection drops to 2 or 1 mbit, although i had some stable connections at 11mbits, once connected at 11 mbits it stays connected at that speed, used channels 9 and 13.
    I also did some testing on my Cisco AP342 and connection is always 11 mbit, with or without WEP, 64 and 128 bit, on all channels, both with long and short preamble, so it is possible
    Could it have anything with the broadcomm chip, as far as i know, used in both the WL500G and the WRT54G ?
    No comment from Asus yet ?

Hi Antilloop

Today I could finally lay my hand on the WL-HDD ,btw great machine, and guess what, the A716 connects , even at channel 6, with 11 mb, beats me, I'm quit sure the WL-HDD is using the broadcomm chip too,

I rearranged the whole sysstem to channel 10 and now the A716 connects always at 11mb

Still no solution from Asus yet, allthough the present situation is workable, i still like to solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by ceesmf
    Hi Antilloop

Today I could finally lay my hand on the WL-HDD ,btw great machine, and guess what, the A716 connects , even at channel 6, with 11 mb, beats me, I'm quit sure the WL-HDD is using the broadcomm chip too,

I rearranged the whole sysstem to channel 10 and now the A716 connects always at 11mb

Still no solution from Asus yet, allthough the present situation is workable, i still like to solve the problem
    OT: can you make some pics of the inside of the WL-HDD or is it warranty sealed?

anyway it's strange though..

and may i ask what you've paid for it? and where you got it in holland

Antiloop,
    I can do that after the weekend, bought it without hdd, so "no seal" got it from Mycom, most shops of them stock them now (afak the only in the Netherlands) paid 129 excl HDD, the USB (2.0 !) port automatically copy's the content of a memory stick to the hdd, every time to a subsequent directory, guess you guys can transform it to a "real" usb port
    The user interface is almost identical to the wl500g in AP mode, except for some changes for access control of the HDD

nice.. can you make some pics of the UI too?

also weird price 129,- we even don't sell it for that price.. and we are normally more expensive than mycom

price should be approx 105,- at this moment

Hi Holo

I searched a long time too , till I found Mycom stock them (Comptech not !)
    AS you can see from the photo, pretty small, slighty bigger than the 2,5 inch harddisk, it runs on 5V, 2A adapter, I use it in my car on a Ipaq adapter no problem, sure Mycom will ship to Australia against costs, though it should be available soon everywhere
    Bought mie without HDD (E 129)
    You can swith it off via the webinterface, all switches are at the front,
    power on by recycling the power or by the switch; nice if you do'nt use your car for a long period as it will drain the battery after 1 to 2 weeks
    Only problem I found, when connected both wired and via WDS , your whole network performance goes down, which is logical, has even it's own DHCP server build in

Thanks ceesmf!

Much appreciated!
    I've done a few enquiries with some Asus dealers in Australia and I am waiting to hear back from them - else I'll try Mycom. I couldn't find a listing for the bare unit on the Mycom site but that doesn't matter too much I guess.
    Just making sure...
    No built-in battery? Yes?
    It can be used as a stand-alone wireless harddrive - no access point required? Yes?
    Typically, how are you using yours?
    Can you load files and play MP3s directly from it?
    My use would be to have a heap of PDFs files on it - 6 to 10GB - to access from it from both desktop and PDA - would this be what it is designed for?

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Holo,

no, unfortunetely no battery, and also no space to add one,
    Its , at your choice, an AP and bridge at the same time
    I even managed to run my tomtom navigator maps from it albeit a little bit slow for that.
    I have mesured the start-uptime, but it's less then 10 seconds
    I do the same wirh mp3's ' in the neighbourhood of my house I can upload / download files, using the wds link to my asus wl500G, it reconnects automatic when I return in the neighbourhood, you have to give your ipaq a fixed ip and also the wlhdd, although it has it own dhcp server, it will conflict with your regular dhcp server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast