Thread: WL-550gE USB port ??

Question WL-550gE USB port ??

Has anyone tryed to connect a USB port to the WL-550gE router ??
    I'm using WL550gE-1.9.2.7-7f-pre4 firmware from Oleg (Thx Oleg) and it suports USB storage.
    I would like to know if I can connect a USB port via some moding on the PCB to connect a USB hard drive or memory stick

Excuse my poor english

Best regards
    Renegate
    Last edited by Renegate; 06-07-2006 at 08:55.

I have no WL-550gE so I can't try this...
    The internal pictures clearly show (filled) solder holes for a 2x4 pin header marked with +5V, D1-, D2+ and GND (and D2-, D2+, of course). So just connect your usb device there (in my opinion, additional current limiting/filtering on the data lines isn't necessary; maybe you want to include a fuse between +5v and your device) and it will most probably work. Standard usb wire colors should be: red for +5V, white for D-, green for D+ und black for GND. Just in case you need them.
    Bear in mind that neither ASUS nor this forum nor I are responsible for any damage, so use common sense and only try this if you can afford to lose your router...

thx wtzm

I will try to connect a cheap memory stick to the +5V, D1-, D2+ and GND and see what happens whish me luck

Renegate did u try this?

I tryed, but some strange stuff is happening. As soon as a wire at 15cm is connected to D- it will say:
    hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?

and keep posting that in system log.

So my guess is they have made a kind of protection for this mod, but still can't see how they can detect a simple wire ?

Renegate did u try this?

I tryed, but some strange stuff is happening. As soon as a wire at 15cm is connected to D- it will say:
    hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?

and keep posting that in system log.

So my guess is they have made a kind of protection for this mod, but still can't see how they can detect a simple wire ?
    update to this firmware http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp.old/WL550....7-7f-pre4.trx and ceck the wires (be shure that they are connected right > red for +5V, white for D2-, green for D2+ und black for GND) then try again it will work for shure.
    I use a 4 GB stik and it works.
    Good luck !!!

Best regards,
    Renegate
    Last edited by Renegate; 26-10-2006 at 08:05.

Well thank you so much ! I got it to work, but I now assume that only 1 of the usb ports works ? (the one closest to the cpu). It is meant to be this way right?

Edit:
    Got both to work now, its just because there is only 5v at 1 of the pins.

cheers
    dkn
    Last edited by dkn; 28-10-2006 at 12:54.

Is it work now?
    Whitch contacts should I use? The ones, what closer to CPU, or another ones?
    Thanx for reply,
    Kirill.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
    Is it work now?
    Whitch contacts should I use? The ones, what closer to CPU, or another ones?
    Thanx for reply,
    Kirill.
    Yes it works download and update to tis firmware http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-7f/W...1.9.2.7-7f.zip connect the wires > red for +5V, white for D2-, green for D2+ und black for GND (the port closest to the cpu) but if you want to make the both ports work then you have to connect the +5V wire for the firs port to the +5V on the second USB port It has been tested and it works. Now I have one USB stik (4GB) and a printer connected to the router.
    Best regards
    Renegate.

PS. Thx Oleg for this firmware

Oleg also told me, that some kind if USB equipment would not work until 15kOm resistors on each data pin (D+ , D-) are connected.

Can show us some pics of the soldering? Thanks!

Hellou guys.

I have just done the modification of WL-550gE this weekend.
    USB ports are working quite fine. I can also post here some pictures of complete work.

devices working are: USB external disks(with external supply), webcam is working. i am still testing another devices...

BUT !!!

there is a problem with flash sticks or card readers.
    this is the only error i get:

"hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?"

it is a problem of unsufficient power supply?
    is here someone who has the same problem.
    how can i solve it ?

thanks for your answers.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Duri View Post
    Hellou guys.

I have just done the modification of WL-550gE this weekend.
    USB ports are working quite fine. I can also post here some pictures of complete work.

devices working are: USB external disks(with external supply), webcam is working. i am still testing another devices...

BUT !!!

there is a problem with flash sticks or card readers.
    this is the only error i get:

"hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?"

it is a problem of unsufficient power supply?
    is here someone who has the same problem.
    how can i solve it ?

thanks for your answers.
    Some kind of USB equipment would not work correctly until 15 K Ohm resistors on each data pin (D+ , D-) are connected.
    Also download and upgrade this firmware http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-8/WL550gE-1.9.2.7-8.zip it's quite stable and it contains newer drivers.

Best Regards,
    Renegate ™
    Last edited by Renegate; 03-12-2007 at 12:15.

Duri, I have the same error msg like yours when I try to connect a SD card, and I didn't add any resistor as suggested. Please let me know if adding resistor will fix it, and really appreciate for some pics of your great work.

about resistors:
    You simply need to add one 15kOhm resistor between D+ and GND, and a second 15kOhm resistor between D- and GND.

btw my router is dead by now, but it has nothing to do with soldering or so. i pissed it off when i played with nvram settings. so if anyone could help please add your post here : http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12483

and of course the pictures (sorry for low quality):
    Attached Images Attached Images