Thread: Which Firmware to select for WL-HDD

Which Firmware to select for WL-HDD

I am currently running the 'standard' Asus 1.2.3.4 on my WL-HDD.
    This works OK, but has some limitations:
    == ..... whatever is mentioned on this forum.. probably true (e.g. performance, limitations DHCP, FTP, access control, ..)
    == Disk is always spinning (No sleep mode)
    == Needs specific wlan 'start sequence' to have predictable behaviour.
    When it's used at home, I want it to become effectively a signal-booster:
    - I have a sitecom-wlan-ap in the study (2nd floor), wired to my network
    - The wired network's gateway is an adsl2 modem to my telco-internet provider (tele2).
    - I set the wl-hdd to 'hybrid' and "become an AP if no AP can be found"
    - I disable the DHCP (als my adsl2 modem already does DHCP)
    - I have to start it =while my sitecom-wlan-ap is switched off=, to let the wl-hdd become an AP.
    - Then, when i connect my sitecom-wlan-ap, it 'mates' with the WL-HDD, and my wlan's range has been extended (because wl-hdd is at ground floor)
    =
    However, when I use it 'in the field', I still want it to become an AP, but WITH the DHCP switched ON.
    =
    The device(s) I use to access the wlan can then always be set to DHCP. At home the get the ip/gateway info from my wired network, in the field they get an ip to access the wl-hdd.

Questions:
    1)Is 1.2.3.4 (asus) a subset of 1.2.3.9 (asus) ?
    2)Is then 1.1.2.8 (JockYW2001) is a subset of 1.9.2.7-7e (Oleg) ?
    3)Does ANY of the versions have the intelligence to -only/automatically- start DHCP when it sees no 'other' AP ?
    4)What (pref minimal) version would I need to stop the disk from spinning always ?
    5)It seems there's a lot of 'tweaking' involved in the setup of 1.1.2.8 or 1.9.2.7 ..... nobody developed a script for those actions ?
    6)Can any of the firmware-updates be done while keeping the user-data on the wl-hdd's internal disk 'safe'. Or is always a re-formatting needed ?
    7)Is there a 'comparison' page anywhere between the various firmware versions ?

Thanks for reaction on some of these questions. I'll need some directions and info before I'm ready to start muddling in my WORKING configuration.
    Gerard.

My own reply

[QUOTE=gdraanen;32398]I am currently running the 'standard' Asus 1.2.3.4 on my WL-HDD.
    [....]Questions:
    1)Is 1.2.3.4 (asus) a subset of 1.2.3.9 (asus) ?
    2)Is then 1.1.2.8 (JockYW2001) is a subset of 1.9.2.7-7e (Oleg) ?
    3)Does ANY of the versions have the intelligence to -only/automatically- start DHCP when it sees no 'other' AP ?
    4)What (pref minimal) version would I need to stop the disk from spinning always ?
    5)It seems there's a lot of 'tweaking' involved in the setup of 1.1.2.8 or 1.9.2.7 ..... nobody developed a script for those actions ?
    6)Can any of the firmware-updates be done while keeping the user-data on the wl-hdd's internal disk 'safe'. Or is always a re-formatting needed ?
    7)Is there a 'comparison' page anywhere between the various firmware versions ?
    =====================================
    8 Months later... my answers would be
    1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: No .... you'll need a DIY script
    4: Oleg's firmware plus hdparm package
    5: No .... read and DIY. No 'packaged functions' available
    6: No .... Firmware update & Install scripts all tend to want Ext3 fs, and fdisk
    7: No .... Simply select Oleg's firmware

Me