Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be possible to implement wondershaper?

Would it be possible to implement wondershaper?

I have big problems with download speeds and ping while uploading. Wondershaper can fix these problems. WL-500g would be great if it could run this, is it possible to implement in firmware?

Or making it able to run from usb-memory.

I forgot the link.

Wondershaper

I'm not good at all with linux. But it seems like this is just a script of somekind, I hope the router got everything the script wants. The script asks for bash, which we don't got. But it doesn't look like a big problem or? I don't know. Would be very kind if someone looked on it. It can do miracles with my bandwidth.
    Last edited by Snigel; 22-03-2004 at 23:15.

I guess that in theory it is possible to add wondershaper, BUT, it requires a kernel with extra options.

As far as I know, Asus is witholding the kernel source they're using, so we can't recompile it yet.

What wondershaper does, is using a few rules for the Linux firewall (and extra 'add-on' modules like 'fair queueing') to reduce the 'waiting queue' for important data packets.
    This reduces network latency to the minimum.

I'm VERY interested in adding this feature as well, because I believe it would make the WL-500G the first affordable router with packet shaping options. (which is GREAT!)

I'm running a game-server. But when more people join, the demands for upload rises. When upload rises the ping rises, and then it's totally unplayable. Not good.

Originally posted by Booster

As far as I know, Asus is witholding the kernel source they're using, so we can't recompile it yet.
    No, we can do that. Kernel itself is build on the stock broadcom sources. I've already posted the patches for building the kernel from wrt54g sources.

Ah, then I was wrong after all.

So what you're actually saying is that implenting wondershaper is more a matter of the kernel becoming too large when fair-queueing (and etc) is compiled?

But if you need kernel for 1.7.x.x series - you need to make it from v2 wrt54g/wap54g sources.

The problem is that my skills in this area are close to zero. I have no clue what to do. Is it hard for you that is familiar with this? Would be very nice if you or someone else could help me out.

As soon as I've got my Linux box back, I'll start making custom firmware. Trouble is, it'll take a while before my box is back

Oh, that was too bad. You can't get a shell or something until then?

What a dream, the new firmware with wondershaper, Oleg, can't you try anything out?

Well, people. I finally got some time for my linux games and I finally got WORKING firmware with support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic. I will test it in few days and if it works I will post it here. But USB flash disk is needed due to staticly linked binaries that are about 20MB. Big THANKS goes to Oleg, who is the king ! His help was really great !!!

Thumbs up WOW! It sounds good!

Originally posted by frodik
    Well, people. I finally got some time for my linux games and I finally got WORKING firmware with support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic. I will test it in few days and if it works I will post it here. But USB flash disk is needed due to staticly linked binaries that are about 20MB. Big THANKS goes to Oleg, who is the king ! His help was really great !!!
    I am really hungry to test it!
    Just a few short questions - is it based on 1.7.5.6 firmware? Does WL module support client mode (AP=0)? Is there also SSH support included? What will be the limitation without USB flash disk - will it ever work?
    Thanks for your effort!

I just have 16mb usb, I hope there will be a possibility to squeeze down a bit, or remove some things, for example is QoS really needed?

Originally posted by frodik
    could you pack the shit? and mail it to me.. ( forum@chupa.nl ) size doesn't matter..

or publish it somewhere..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast