Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

hmm.. the same problem with a crossover cable.
    I hate Asus: they do not answer!

Quote Originally Posted by dark-sha
    hmm.. the same problem with a crossover cable.
    I hate Asus: they do not answer!
    Cable is not the key, Speed is.
    Use 10Mb will fix wan port dead.
    If u will not use Oleg's firmware, use 10Mb hub is the only way can do that.
    Of course, maybe you could fix your ADSL modem to 10Mb......

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by chase
    Cable is not the key, Speed is.
    Use 10Mb will fix wan port dead.
    If u will not use Oleg's firmware, use 10Mb hub is the only way can do that.
    Of course, maybe you could fix your ADSL modem to 10Mb......

Well, I am sorry m8, but in my case (with my hardware) CABLE makes a big difference when I lock the speed with the nvram commands. If I fix the speed to any value and I am using a straight UTP cable (have tested more than 5 ones with different sizes) when booting the router the port NEVER comes to live. It doesn't matter if I pull the cable and connect it again. I have wait until 5 minutes and the link is plain dead, BUT if I change the cable for a CROSS LINK one, after +/- 60 seconds the link comes to live. I have tested and confirmed this for these fixed speeds:
    -10full
    -100full

It can be an issue related to my ADSL modem (Zixel Prestige 600 series) when it is linked with the Asus router tough (as I have posted before the modem doesn't have any problems when connected directly to my PC, it changes speed without delay when linked to my 3Com LOM NIC), but the cross cable did fix it in my situation m8 (the "devices not linking" problem).

I will test with a new modem that I am expecting this week and will post then.
    Last edited by Thorz; 17-08-2004 at 23:33.

Arrow With new modem

I have received today an Speedstream 5100 ADSL modem from my ISP. It appears to be working ok but I still cannot use a straight cable between my Asus and the modem if I am using a fixed speed, the link simply never comes up after the router turns off the WAN port for executing the respective commands at boot. If I use the crosslink cable I get the normal disconnection time (arround 1 minute) and the connection comes nice to live after this.

I have detected an improvement since I have fixed the speed to 100full, but I am still testing and don't want to draw any conclussions yet. At least the WAN port has not died on me 2 days ago. I will download some heavy torrents this weekend and will try to not turn off the router for see how it behaves. If everything goes ok the next things that I like to try are:

1. UPnP ON again.
    2. WPA istead of WEP128.
    3. The wondershape firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorz
    Have you activated wondershaper?

I have received today an Speedstream 5100 ADSL modem from my ISP. It appears to be working ok but I still cannot use a straight cable between my Asus and the modem if I am using a fixed speed, the link simply never comes up after the router turns off the WAN port for executing the respective commands at boot. If I use the crosslink cable I get the normal disconnection time (arround 1 minute) and the connection comes nice to live after this.

I have detected an improvement since I have fixed the speed to 100full, but I am still testing and don't want to draw any conclussions yet. At least the WAN port has not died on me 2 days ago. I will download some heavy torrents this weekend and will try to not turn off the router for see how it behaves. If everything goes ok the next things that I like to try are:

1. UPnP ON again.
    2. WPA istead of WEP128.
    could you make a picture of that straight cable you are using?
    i need picture of both Connectors so i can see the coloured wires

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    could you make a picture of that straight cable you are using?
    i need picture of both Connectors so i can see the coloured wires
    I am sorry that I have not come back to you with the info, but I have just seen the reply, don't know what happened with forum reply notification.
    I will take a pic of the cable and attach it here.

I am going to try the wondershaper now, I have just downloaded Oleg FW 1.7.5.9-5, I guess this is the correct one. Please of there is a better FW than this one tell me.

Router has been working OK, but when I have bittorrent open with 3-4 popular torrents my connection gets saturated and I cannot even ping and it is immposible to surf because I don't get answer from DNS requests I guess. I hope Wshaper helps me here. I am still figuring out what are the correct steps that I need to migrate my NVRAM commands and to activate the WShaper, this is very new stuff for me, I am reading a lot in the WIKI and in http://wl500g.dyndns.org/, but I am still very confused.

I am going to try the wondershaper now, I have just downloaded Oleg FW 1.7.5.9-5, I guess this is the correct one. Please of there is a better FW than this one tell me.
    1.7.5.9-CR5 is the best firmware for using Wondershaper.
    Router has been working OK, but when I have bittorrent open with 3-4 popular torrents my connection gets saturated and I cannot even ping and it is immposible to surf because I don't get answer from DNS requests I guess. I hope Wshaper helps me here.
    Yes, Wondershaper will help you get your ping and browsing up to speed. I have ppl up- and downloading stuff while I'm playing games with 30ms pings . Check this topic for more info on Wondershaper: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752
    I am still figuring out what are the correct steps that I need to migrate my NVRAM commands and to activate the WShaper, this is very new stuff for me, I am reading a lot in the WIKI and in http://wl500g.dyndns.org/, but I am still very confused.
    Yes, it takes time to sink in. But when you get he whole picture, you'll see how powerful it is .

Cable pics

Here are pics of the cable that works, it is a cross-link cable. All the other cables that I have tried and that don't work are straight ones, they are from different sources (came with different cable and adsl modems, other ones were bought, etc).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here are pics of the cable that works, it is a cross-link cable. All the other cables that I have tried and that don't work are straight ones, they are from different sources (came with different cable and adsl modems, other ones were bought, etc).
    i can't see it clearly but the the cable with 2.jpg as name is not a straight one

the one with OK.jpg is perhaps the cross one, but I never work with cross cables

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hi

I had the same problem.
    I tried firmware 9.8.2.1 and the problem is solved

Grtz Driek

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    i can't see it clearly but the the cable with 2.jpg as name is not a straight one

the one with OK.jpg is perhaps the cross one, but I never work with cross cables
    They are both from the same cable m8. It is a cross one.

My actual problem is not related anymore to WAN port speed auto-negotiation but with the router rebooting itself when hammered by heavy number of connections, look here http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=806

Is there a hope that the next version of the router (WL-500gx) will deal better with heavy traffic and specially connection number like when you are using bittorrent? I have not found feedback of a home router that doesn't have problems with bittorrent specially (and maybe eMule) that can really stress a device with the amount of connections that it does (easy on the 300-500 value). The estrange thing is that the problems are visible even at a connection # of 320-360 that is way below the 1024 that I have read here the WL500g should support.
    Last edited by Thorz; 16-10-2004 at 04:09.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567