Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Re: This is a no go

Originally posted by Thorz
    Hi m8s.

This is definitely not working. Now after letting the thing working all the night I have found it again dead, but I get contact with the Asus router then it means that it is the known issue. The big problem is that I cannot change the port speed! As I have told the port dies immediately after writing the command, only giving the command for auto revives the port again.
    This has been a nightmare, what can I do guys?
    As last resort try the following - flash your router with ASUS 1.7.5.6 firmware and then try setting the port speed using the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp. If this works for you - let me know.
    You can also try using wlanutil stuff like this:
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 0 ---- for auto
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 1 ---- 10 half
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 2 ---- 10 full
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 3 ---- 100 half
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 4 ---- 100 full

Re: This is a no go

Hi m8s.

This is definitely not working. Now after letting the thing working all the night I have found it again dead, but I get contact with the Asus router then it means that it is the known issue. The big problem is that I cannot change the port speed! As I have told the port dies immediately after writing the command, only giving the command for auto revives the port again.
    This has been a nightmare, what can I do guys?
    do you have the possibility to try another wl500g unit?

very strange that none of the commands except auto work, as auto negotiates and sets a speed for a certain time

I'm having the same problem as others here, WAN port is instable and often dies after heavy network traffic. Hardware version is 1.0, firmware version is the newest custom one. Can I return the faulty device to ASUS to get a working one that has no problems like that? Always having to hard-reset the router is really bugging me.

Re: Re: This is a no go

Originally posted by Technik
    What is your router's HW revision? 1.0?
    Did you try to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure again?

You can also try to connect some hub between the router and modem.
    Hardware version 1.0 (taken from the firmware page).
    I have done the reset already after installing your firmware.
    I have no hub available. Aren't almost all new hubs auto sensing too (the cheap ones).
    I really like to meka this work without adding more hardware.

Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: This is a no go

Hardware version 1.0 (taken from the firmware page).
    I have done the reset already after installing your firmware.
    I have no hub available. Aren't almost all new hubs auto sensing too (the cheap ones).
    I really like to meka this work without adding more hardware.
    Thank you.
    Sometimes you need some additional hardware for TEST purpose only - if you can't even borrow it for few days, that's a problem.
    Many hubs works fine with the ASUS in autonegotiation mode. But maybe the problem is somewhere else - it's strange to me that connection is restored after the workstation restart.
    If you connect the modem to the workstation directly - does it work OK?

Perhaps you can also contact your provider and ask for the modem:
    - firmware upgrade
    - bridge mode deactivation
    - replacement

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a no go

Sometimes you need some additional hardware for TEST purpose only - if you can't even borrow it for few days, that's a problem.
    Many hubs works fine with the ASUS in autonegotiation mode. But maybe the problem is somewhere else - it's strange to me that connection is restored after the workstation restart.
    If you connect the modem to the workstation directly - does it work OK?

Perhaps you can also contact your provider and ask for the modem:
    - firmware upgrade
    - bridge mode deactivation
    - replacement
    The modem works perfect if connected directly to the computer. The wprkstation restart is not working anymopre, this has worked one time in the past but could not reproduce the thing. Renewing the IP via the router interface does work.

I don't have another WL500g for testing, not a hub either, very difficult.

Will flash with official firmware and try the commands. Thank you guys

Re: Re: This is a no go

Originally posted by Oleg
    As last resort try the following - flash your router with ASUS 1.7.5.6 firmware and then try setting the port speed using the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp. If this works for you - let me know.
    You can also try using wlanutil stuff like this:
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 0 ---- for auto
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 1 ---- 10 half
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 2 ---- 10 full
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 3 ---- 100 half
    wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 4 ---- 100 full
    I have flashed to the Asus firmware and could not make it work either. Port dies inmediately after any command but the auto one.

I have tried also wlanutil, port doesn't die but every command from 1 to 4 gives as a result 100 in the system command answer box. No change in the lights of the modem indicating a change to 10Mb/s. I have tried also with "reboot" command without any difference. Damn! What is wrong with this £#@%@ router?

Re: Re: Re: This is a no go

I have flashed to the Asus firmware and could not make it work either. Port dies inmediately after any command but the auto one.

I have tried also wlanutil, port doesn't die but every command from 1 to 4 gives as a result 100 in the system command answer box. No change in the lights of the modem indicating a change to 10Mb/s. I have tried also with "reboot" command without any difference. Damn! What is wrong with this £#@%@ router?
    Take it easy... What happens if you unplug the eth. cable from the modem and try to configure the WAN port? The same behaviour (result 100 answered)? I would also try to connect the WAN port to your workstation and test the connectivity and speed change by this way...
    IMHO the problem lies in the modem more likely...

Just for testing: try to connect your WAN port directly to LAN port and check does it work for you. I.e. it should start blinking after the speed changes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a no go

Take it easy... What happens if you unplug the eth. cable from the modem and try to configure the WAN port? The same behaviour (result 100 answered)? I would also try to connect the WAN port to your workstation and test the connectivity and speed change by this way...
    IMHO the problem lies in the modem more likely...
    O am sorry, I am really pissed about this issue. This is the 2nd. router that presents this kkind of issue (dropping connection), first it was an smc. The modem works ok connected to the pc. I will try all this things tomorrow (your advice and Oleg's), now I am really tired. Thanks for your help m8s.

Report guys:

First thanks a lot to all that have give me ideas, specially Oleg and Technik that have give me super good tips to diagnose the problem. I have made it to work, this is what I have done:

All this was first done with last official firmware:

1. Using Oleg's idea I connected a normal network cable (the one that came with the router) between WAn port and a LAN port in the router, after giving the speed command I could see the light going off but it returned and stayed O, that was nice.

2. For testing that the change was real and that the speed was the one of the command I connected the WAN port as Technik said to my PC and could see that the speed was 10Mbps indeed. Things were going better
    There was always some delay when the WAN port was not put in auto, 10 and 100 full took some time but kicked in at the end (maybe 20-30 seconds delay after the command the light started to blink again)

3. Everything was indicating a problem in the modem, then I decided to test it connecting it directly to my PC and changing the speed of the 3Com network card from Windows, the modem answered without any delay and I could change the speed (without needing a restart or physical cable disconnection between the devices) several times between 100 and 10 full, it always worked.

4. I decided to try again between modem and router without any success, and connecting the WAN port to the PC always worked (with the small delay).

5. For testing proposes I decided to change to a cross-link cable (I was using a normal one) because both devices support this type of cable also. To my big surprise this time the speed change worked, but it takes a big delay (around 1 minute) for the link to become active (lights in both devices indicating a 10Mbps connection)

6. I decided to flash the router again with Oleg's last firmware. I used the permanent speed change commands:

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full"
    nvram commit

and power cycled the router. First it links at 100Mbps (auto) and after 30 seconds the link goes down. After 1 minute the link comes up at 10Mbps

Now I will configure the router again and will backup it to a file.

I hope that this resolves the WAN port dieing problem, at least I can rest a little for now.

Questions:
    a) When you flash firmware do you need to enter again the nvram commands?
    b) When you save the configuration to a .cfg file, do this file also contains the nvram commands? Or do you need to input them again after a restore?

Thank you very much for your patience and good ideas guys.

Hi guys,

I just bought the WL-500G for a few days. Again, I found myself suffer from this "WAN port dies after a while" symdrome. I tried upgrade to the ASUS 1.7.5.6. I didn't try the
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100half
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10half

commands yet. But I did try setting the speed of the WAN through the ASUS web interface. Are they the same? Or do I really have to enter those Linux commands? (as I am not linux experties, I am afraid to try).

I found that my connection works fine when traffic is low. But when I use some high traffic appz like BT, it dies down after an hour or 2.

Is my device defective?

PS: I just reflash the firmware to Oleg's 1.7.5.6-2 and still suffer the same problem.

Originally posted by hcurreem
    Hi guys,

I just bought the WL-500G for a few days. Again, I found myself suffer from this "WAN port dies after a while" symdrome. I tried upgrade to the ASUS 1.7.5.6. I didn't try the
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100half
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full
    /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10half

commands yet. But I did try setting the speed of the WAN through the ASUS web interface. Are they the same? Or do I really have to enter those Linux commands? (as I am not linux experties, I am afraid to try).

You have to enter the commands, it is not difficult if you use the web interface (read the hole thread) and use the refresh button. The setting in the web page doesn't work.

Questions:
    a) When you flash firmware do you need to enter again the nvram commands?
    No, you don't. The configuration is preserved but the recommendation is to reset the router to factory defaults after the upgrade anyway.

b) When you save the configuration to a .cfg file, do this file also contains the nvram commands? Or do you need to input them again after a restore?
    Yes, it does. Just explore the saved file...

Thank you very much for your patience and good ideas guys.
    You are welcome. And thanks for your detailed report! It may be very helpful for somebody else with the similar problem.

Unhappy

Hi!

I have the same problem like other people with downloading larger files and then WAN is timed out for this connection...

I tried the last firmware... and all 4 options for port forceing. But it doesnt work... my cable modem is Lancity.

I really don't know what to do

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast