Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

I'm having a similar problem, running the ASUS in AP mode and linked a 8 port SMC EZ 10/100 switch via uplink port to the LAN side of the ASUS. when copying files from a server on the SMC to a PC on the ASUS LAN the AP locks up if the data is larger than about 20MB.

Originally posted by Tanguero
    I'm having a similar problem, running the ASUS in AP mode and linked a 8 port SMC EZ 10/100 switch via uplink port to the LAN side of the ASUS. when copying files from a server on the SMC to a PC on the ASUS LAN the AP locks up if the data is larger than about 20MB.
    lock your port then to a fixed speed.
    I assume that crappy smc thing is autosensing, at least the 5 port version is

Yup, the crappy (but stable (+1 year uptime w no reset)) 8port SMC is autosensing and cannot be locked. But I can't find the page on the ASUS to lock the speed.

Originally posted by Tanguero
    Yup, the crappy (but stable (+1 year uptime w no reset)) 8port SMC is autosensing and cannot be locked. But I can't find the page on the ASUS to lock the speed.
    Enter the command (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) here: http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp + click Refresh (ENTER does not work).
    For permanent speed change follow instructions on previous page: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&postid=394#post394
    Last edited by Technik; 17-03-2004 at 14:59.

I tried the (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full) command on my wl-500g connected to a D_Link DI-604, and the Asus Wan port died...

I had to set it to (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) before it worked...

I can't figure out why it didn't take the full 100 speed, as the D-Link shouldn't have any problems with that speed, but it doesn't matter... At least I'm rid of the wan port dying on me...

Royan

Originally posted by Royan
    I tried the (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full) command on my wl-500g connected to a D_Link DI-604, and the Asus Wan port died...

I had to set it to (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) before it worked...

I can't figure out why it didn't take the full 100 speed, as the D-Link shouldn't have any problems with that speed, but it doesn't matter... At least I'm rid of the wan port dying on me...

Royan
    Well, I am sorry for the confusion - I did not remember the difference between WAN and LAN ports of WL-500b/g. I saw somewhere that WAN port supports only 10Mbit transfer speed (despite the fact that 10/100 is specified in most sources). It's strange as I have seen WAN/LAN speed test results at about 14Mbit/s.
    I have edited my previous post anyway.
    Last edited by Technik; 17-03-2004 at 15:34.

No confusion intended...
    It was just an observation on my behalf, and maybe a warning to others who had their wan port die using the 100full command.

Anyway the spec on the uk.asus.com site says:
    WAN Ethernet Port Support: Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100 Mbps with auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
    Connector: RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT

so it should work at 100mbps...

Royan

Any command in telent could force WAN port into 10Mb/s?
    It's more and more difficule to find a 10Mb hub.....
    Olag could help about this?

Reply by myself:

New ASUS 1.7.5.6 include "WAN Connection Speed: " option in "IP Config - WAN & LAN" menu.

But even set to 10Mbps half-duplex, the ADSL modem still show 100Mpbs......

chase: reboot both devices (router and modem as well).
    Telnet is not running by default on 1.7.5.6.
    The telnet command for WAN port speed setting in customized firmware was published few lines above - just open your eyes to see it...

Originally posted by chase
    Reply by myself:

New ASUS 1.7.5.6 include "WAN Connection Speed: " option in "IP Config - WAN & LAN" menu.

But even set to 10Mbps half-duplex, the ADSL modem still show 100Mpbs......
    did you try restoring configuration defaults already ?
    maybe some data is fucked, because of the differences in the firmwares

Originally posted by Royan

WAN Ethernet Port Support: Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100 Mbps with auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
    Connector: RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT

so it should work at 100mbps...
    Yes that's true. But there was a note in original manual rev. 1.0 that only 10mbps speed was supported on WAN port...

Originally posted by Antiloop
    did you try restoring configuration defaults already ?
    maybe some data is fucked, because of the differences in the firmwares
    Yes, before reset defaults, I can't change WAN port speed.

Arrow

I'm starting to doubt whether the 'WAN Connection Speed: ' option in 'IP Config - WAN & LAN' currently (firmware 1.7.5.6) actually does anything at all .

Like some of you I've also been experiencing reliability problems when sending large files through the WAN port on my WL500g, which is usually connected to an inexpensive unmanaged home switch. So I plugged it into a Cisco 2950 and tried ftping a 3 GB file repeatedly using various port setting combinations. I observed the following:

Asus set to 100 FD / Cisco set to 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
    Asus 100 FD / Cisco 10 FD: ~980 KB/s
    Asus 10 FD / Cisco 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
    Asus 100 FD / Cisco Auto: WAN port dies after a while
    Asus Auto / Cisco 10 FD: ~980 KB/s
    Asus Auto / Cisco 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
    Asus Auto / Cisco Auto: WAN port dies after a while

In other words, it doesn't really appear to matter what speed I set the Asus at. It will still do faster than 10 Mbit even if set to 10 (ie it will do 100, though I hesitate to call it that ). And having the Asus set to auto is not necessarily a problem. But if the switch is set to auto it will eventually kill the WAN port. And if your switch has no way to enable a fixed port speed setting that may be a serious problem.

Now, the transfer can take a long time to fail (once it made it all the way to 2.3 GB) and unfortunately I don't have time to verify these results with many repeated tests. So who knows - maybe I was just lucky for the other transfers to complete. But as it is the trend looks to me like the Asus port settings means dick all.

I have yet to try Oleg's telnet firmware to see if changing the setting that way does anything. I'm hoping we might see a 1.7.5.6-based version at some point
    Last edited by Biff; 28-03-2004 at 23:08.

Smile

- never mind -
    Last edited by Biff; 28-03-2004 at 23:09.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast