Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Question WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Hi!
    I have connected my WL-500g wan port to a 10/100Mbps Switch (UNEX NexSwitch SD080s), the switch has two other computers connected and a connection to a 100 MB LAN. I have connected one computer to one LAN port (on the router) and also a wireless one connected. My problem is that when i try to download large files, the WAN port hangs and looses connection. I have tried a couple of times with the router standing and lying down. I can download for a longer amount of time when it's lies down but it still disconnects and i have to reboot the router (it's only the WAN port that dies). As long as the download does not exceed 10MB it works fine, but as fast as i get 20MB or more the WAN ports dies after a little time.
    Anyone have the same problem or have a solution.

The reasons may be caused by overheating of the chipset, a problem with hardware or a software problem.

On more little thing... i have never exceed 50MB when doenloading from WAN to LAN on the router.

is this when you download from wan to lan (a pc connected with wire) or wlan ?

i've regular downloaded like 95 x 50mb files from wan to lan, and no problems occured

recently i have not done this anymore, at that time i was using firmware 1.6.4.8

ps. i'm at chello (150kb/sec max) and dhcp, no pppoe

it's when i download from WAN to LAN (WAN to wire), but i have got the same problem with WAN to WLAN

Firmwire i use is 1.6.5.3 (but have got the same problem with other firmware)

btw: i don't need to reboot the router but release and renew the ip for the WAN

If the UNEX switch is manageable, try to set the port connected to Router's WAN port to fix speed.

It's a tabel switch, not manageable

OK - so I would try to replace the switch then (or change the topology if possible to eliminate the switch at all).
    I have never opened my own router so I don't know what's the current chipset temperature but I don't think the overheating is causing that problem. Maybe you can try to open it and check...

Re: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Originally posted by Phantome

On more little thing... i have never exceed 50MB when doenloading from WAN to LAN on the router.
    Maybe the size of the file does not matter, but the transfer time. I have seen this problem with other routers as well, especially with ftp; when the NAT-table was expired and updated during the transfer, causing the connection to die. Also seen; if the DHCP lease time is low, the connection can crash while concurrently updating the IPaddress and transferring.
    Hopefully this information can help you to find the root of your problem.

The same thing. After getting an IP from DHCP the gateway stops responding to ping. I have to release/renew several times to get it pinged, some tricks dances and musing helps, all the sympthoms are the same but one about continious downloading - I've got no problem with downloading if the connection is already established.

i haven't tried in router mode yet, but in Home Gateway both setting a static ip or getting it from a dhcp server the wan port dies. Everything else works, it's only the the WAN that stops responding. And there is nothing in the logs.
    Another thing is that if i do not download files, only surf around then there is no problem. But when i start to download files the WAN port stops responding after some time. (Last time i tested i downloaded 3 files (15MB each) with no problem, but when i started on the 4 one, the wan port died. Did only get 4400kb/s from a server i usualy get 100MB from)

(When the WAN port is dead i mean that i have lost all connections from outside ).

OK. I have just tested with the customized firmware and was playing around in the telnet session.
    By using the command <et> you can change the speed of the wan port. ex: et -i eth1 speed 100full
    This works fine for me at least my wan port don't die.
    So the solution is to set the wan port speed to 10half, 10full, 100half or 100full. As soon as i put it to auto the port dies again.

But i still can't get more than 4300kB/s (WAN to LAN(wire))
    (Transferred 1 file totaling 805.77 MB in 03:11 (4,308.99 KBps))
    And when i'm downloading at this speed i have trouble to do anything else... pinging an ip (ex: www.vg.no) will just time out.

(ksoftirqd_CPU0 is using around 80% of the resources and 7-8% is used by 7 other things that uses resources at that moment)

By the way, you have to run <et -i eth1 speed 100full> everytime you reboot the router, but i think you can save it by running these commands. So it's done automaticlly after it reboots.
    (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full"
    nvram commit

At least it's a temporary solution for this problem.

OK. I have just tested with the customized firmware and was playing around in the telnet session.
    By using the command <et> you can change the speed of the wan port. ex: et -i eth1 speed 100full
    This works fine for me at least my wan port don't die.
    So the solution is to set the wan port speed to 10half, 10full, 100half or 100full. As soon as i put it to auto the port dies again.

But i still can't get more than 4300kB/s (WAN to LAN(wire))
    (Transferred 1 file totaling 805.77 MB in 03:11 (4,308.99 KBps))
    And when i'm downloading at this speed i have trouble to do anything else... pinging an ip (ex: www.vg.no) will just time out.

(ksoftirqd_CPU0 is using around 80% of the resources and 7-8% is used by 7 other things that uses resources at that moment)

By the way, you have to run <et -i eth1 speed 100full> everytime you reboot the router, but i think you can save it by running these commands. So it's done automaticlly after it reboots.
    (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full"
    nvram commit

At least it's a temporary solution for this problem.
    Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link. As for performance, seems 4308 is maximum that you can get from the unit... But that's not bad for the 125 MHz box. It's utilizing 40% of the ethernet link.
    BTW, there is a little chance that we can impove the performance by changing the et driver - they've ifdef for the code which queues the interrupts to the softirq or dispatch them immediately(btw, this can also reduce the performance) - just try...
    As for nvram commands - you are right.

Think it's stupid from ASUS side to say that the WAN port is 10/100Mb when you can't get more than around 40Mb.

"Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link."
    If you meen it's the switch the router is connected to , i can't agre with you. that switch has had a dozen of devices connected to it, and there is more than 4 TB each month running true it. And the only device that has failed to stay "connected" is the asus router. So i'll rather think that this is an error from the router.

Btw Oleg your custome firmware saved my day. Thank you

Think it's stupid from ASUS side to say that the WAN port is 10/100Mb when you can't get more than around 40Mb.

"Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link."
    If you meen it's the switch the router is connected to , i can't agre with you. that switch has had a dozen of devices connected to it, and there is more than 4 TB each month running true it. And the only device that has failed to stay "connected" is the asus router. So i'll rather think that this is an error from the router.

Btw Oleg your custome firmware saved my day. Thank you

my opinion it that it's caused because BOTH devices are auto-switching

this happends when connected with some cablemodems too (motorola if i'm right)

Originally posted by Antiloop
    my opinion it that it's caused because BOTH devices are auto-switching

this happends when connected with some cablemodems too (motorola if i'm right)
    And US Robotics also.
    But in USR you can go to the web administration and set the port to whatever you want. and in this way the router behaves right.
    I had this problem also.

Bye

Originally posted by njs
    And US Robotics also.
    But in USR you can go to the web administration and set the port to whatever you want. and in this way the router behaves right.
    I had this problem also.

Bye
    yes well.. now we know why some units do this... (becoz of the autosensing shit at both sides) and it's fixable by entering the command like phantome said above

so it should just be a matter for asus to add this somewhere in the menus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast