Thread: Questions questions questions

Lightbulb Questions questions questions

I am realy confused about the wl700gE. So many features, but almost nothing seems to be documented.

1. How can I use the embedded gnutella client?
    2. Does it have UPnP media streamer, yes or no?
    3. What about itunes, how to set-up, use?

4. When will the sources be available?
    5. Does someone have inside pictures of the component side of the wl700g, before I have to dismantel it myself
    6. Is asus thinking of the following features:
    a. real integration of the download manager into either Firefox or IE
    b. embedded mail server
    c. embedded news leecher
    d. bluetooth, so you can object push your mobile phone camera pictures to the box

etc etc

I think you'd have to ask most of these questions to an ASUS representative, not on a hobby board like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    1. How can I use the embedded gnutella client?
    I guess you feed it a .torrent file via URL or file upload.

I'd like to know that, too. According to some packaging photos, this is the case.

In response to both questions above: See http://www.computerdiy.com.tw/module...id=1814&page=4

5. Does someone have inside pictures of the component side of the wl700g, before I have to dismantel it myself
    Google for it, duh...

Now, some more questions on my behalf:

This unit is quite expensive. It's certainly not a cheap all-in-one solution anymore. How does it compare against the Viewsonic WMG120, for example?

Can I easily compile and install software for it? For example, would it be possible to run a DC++ hub (opendchub) or a small xwindows server (xfce) on this or is that too much to ask?

Does the system die if it has to be running at full capacity over a longer time? I am using the original WL-500g and I don't want to have these router resets whenever I start a big download from the local network again...

Quote Originally Posted by narcis
    I think you'd have to ask most of these questions to an ASUS representative, not on a hobby board like this one.

I guess you feed it a .torrent file via URL or file upload.

I'd like to know that, too. According to some packaging photos, this is the case.

In response to both questions above: See http://www.computerdiy.com.tw/module...id=1814&page=4

Google for it, duh...
    thank you for your answers.

However, I think the download manager including bittorent is not the same as a gnutella client.
    Secondly the photos on the mentioned site do NOT show the component side of the PCB, i.e. the back of the PCB where all network and wireless stuff can be found. The only IC I see on the picture is the Promise, correction Broadcom, P-ATA controller . So please google further ;-)

Meanwhile the UPnP media server is running in conjuction with windvd. Thanks.
    Last edited by bramfm; 09-06-2006 at 09:52.

MAybe you must use KCeasy for gnultella client. in setup you shoul set a remote giFT server IP to IP of your wl700g and port 1213

It can act as a UPnP media server... I have a Buffalo LinkTheater which is able to play mp3 among other audio formats and also plays XViD and DivX movies.

When starting up the LinkTheater I get a list of available UPnP media servers on the network.... and the router is one of them!!! I can navigate through the folders on the router and can play the movies and audio directly from it as well.

So this is at least one thing that works very nice (and was one of the reasons for me to buy it).

..... now if only my player would understand WPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviter
    It can act as a UPnP media server... I have a Buffalo LinkTheater which is able to play mp3 among other audio formats and also plays XViD and DivX movies.

When starting up the LinkTheater I get a list of available UPnP media servers on the network.... and the router is one of them!!! I can navigate through the folders on the router and can play the movies and audio directly from it as well.

So this is at least one thing that works very nice (and was one of the reasons for me to buy it).

..... now if only my player would understand WPA.
    Thanks for your confirmation. In the mean time I have a Philips iStreamium SL300 working with the WL700gE, after upgrading the Streamium to the latest firmware.
    Last edited by bramfm; 13-06-2006 at 16:16.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo
    MAybe you must use KCeasy for gnultella client. in setup you shoul set a remote giFT server IP to IP of your wl700g and port 1213
    Thanks, that's it. I should have known this, since I used it on the WL500g as well. Does someone know why I can't connect to the gnutella network (only fasttrack)