Thread: problem Linksys wmp54g

problem Linksys wmp54g

My Linksys wireless G adapter (WMP54g) does not detect any wireless network, although my Asus WL-500g is connected to my cable modem (WAN port). A fixed connection (UTP cable to port 1) from the Asus to a normal network card does work, wireless doesn't. I did try the "How to" written by Antiloop, it just doesn't work.

Is there anything known about problems with the Linksys adapter in combination with the Asus? Does anybody else use this combination? Any ideas? Help...

One reason could be that you have WEP encryption enabled, but not the proper key in your Linksys card setup. Try with WEP off and SSID broadcasting on first.
    -jcw

I tried that too of course (when I just got it), but unfortunately that didn't work. But thanks for the reply.

Alexander

turn on SSID broadcasting, then re-check
    WMP54g is known to work fine with wl500g so should be no problem at all

eventual try the WL100g driver at the board instead the linksys driver..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I have experienced something similar with my combination of a WL500g and a FS CONNECT2AIR AP-600RP-USB. I can only get them to talk when my WL500g is on channel 6 and the other one on channel 8. If I change either one, they cant find each other.

It was pure luck that I found that combination early on. Initially I thought they had to talk on the same channel, but that didnt work.

However, the speed at which they are communicating is very poor (<1Mb), so something is still wrong.

check your antenna first.. try another if possible

try eventual configuration defaults for your wl500g..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

To inform you how my problem was(n't) solved: I could not get the Linksys PCI card to work together with the WL-500g, although it did connect in another system to another wireless network. I don't know why it didn't work, it could be due to my rather old system (AMD K6-2 450 Mhz).

I returned the Linksys to the shop and bought the new ASUS WL-160g wireless adapter, which is a USB version. This one does work together with with the WL-500g, although I still have problems with the signal strength and thus losing and reconnecting to the wireless network... annoying. I have more or less accepted this and hope the signal problems will be only with this computer and not with the notebook I am going to buy.

the WPM54g does work with the wl500g anyway.. i've seen it with my own eyes.. but did you replace your antenna already ?

furthermore i'm not familair with wl160 so i don't know if it's stable or not