Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I solder a JTAG connector to Asus WL-500

Exclamation How do I solder a JTAG connector to Asus WL-500

I've done it.

No power LED. No failsafe mode.

Pushing the Reset Button while powering on doesn't work (of course).

I know there is a trick where I have to shortcircuit some pins on the mainboard?! Can someone give me a link to a confirmed HOWTO??? That would be great...

A HOWTO how I can solder a custom JTAG connector to the mainboard would also be welcome!

But?... Why did you destroy it? Whats the point?!!?

Heres a link anyway, found by searching for "pmon"
    http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.ph...highlight=pmon

The JTAG tutorial, however, I cant help with. But I didnt do any search either...

Best regards
    Vidar (Z)

Quote Originally Posted by zainka
    But?... Why did you destroy it? Whats the point?!!?

Heres a link anyway, found by searching for "pmon"
    http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.ph...highlight=pmon

The JTAG tutorial, however, I cant help with. But I didnt do any search either...

Best regards
    Vidar (Z)
    Thanks, for nothing!!! That was a comment written by ME...

So is there someone who can tell me _which_ pin of _which_ chip I'll have to shortcircuit to enter a failsafe mode in spite of a messed pmon?

Or to which pins I'll have to solder the JTAG cable?

Well sorry for that one, however, this time nothing is everything you need, because if following the thread mentioned by responder in your other thread on same topic (why post two similar topics anyway?) it will bring you right to the source, but heres a direct link for you... Direct link for you

AND even a quote:

Antiloop wrote:

eventual do a very risky thing
    just put the WL-HDD into recovery modus:

be sure unit is powered off
    be sure LAN cable is connected
    be sure your PC has a STATIC IP
    be sure to have to firmware restoration tool at hand

do the following

shortcut PIN10 of the FLASH (AMD) chip with GROUND while powering on, release immediately. The unit should now enter recovery modus
    (power led wil flash)

start firmware restoration of a old firmware 1.1.2.8 or something
    Hopes THIS helps more

Once again
    best regards
    Vidar (Z)

Well sorry for that one, however, this time nothing is everything you need, because if following the thread mentioned by responder in your other thread on same topic (why post two similar topics anyway?) it will bring you right to the source, but heres a direct link for you... Direct link for you

AND even a quote:

Hopes THIS helps more

Once again
    best regards
    Vidar (Z)
    Yeah it does. But there is no chip from AMD on the board... A Picture that shows which chip is meant would have been nice...

Well, now I have to add a disclaimer. DO IT ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

First, the link is for the wl-hdd device from asus but the wl500g roter are using much of the same technology when it comes to firmware and linux sub system. Now, second, DO IT ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. Third, the amd package is named AM29LV320 and is the flash/NVRAM used by system. This can be found youst beneet the leds (link wl500g pinup) and above the big Broadcom package and the shiny crystal. Pin number one is remarked with a bump in the corner of the package and is allocated at the top left corner of the flash.

NOTE: I have not followed these steps my self but have by curiosity found the datasheet from amd today to see which pin this is. This is an address pin for the address bus and by my knowledge I do not know why shortcircuiting this pin to ground would help (nor on the Wl-hdd device or the wl500g thingy) but according to link above this MIGHT solve your problem. but once again DO IT ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. Shortcircuiting this device might damage your flash completely and you need service, or atleast the router does. If you anyway decide to do it, follow the steps given on reffered link above completely.

Good luck and best regards
    Vidar(Z)
    Last edited by Omega; 11-06-2013 at 01:43. Reason: fixed

OK, thanks! On my board it's not AMD.. it's a chip from "MX"... however...

I'd connect pin 10 with GND while powering on... but nothing happened (Power LED is still dead)...

Connecting PIN 12 with GND resets the whole unit (but Power LED remains dead).... Any other ideas? Anyone?
    Last edited by Omega; 11-06-2013 at 02:09. Reason: fixed

Thats make sense, that connectin pin 12 to GND, resets the whole device since this is the reset pin of the memory. I guess that reset of main processor and memory share logical net. However, the datasheet of the memmory can be found here...http://www.spansion.com/products/Am29LV320D.html. The MX part number you reffere to is youst another brand of the same memory, fully compatible. I have seen this been used in some wl-hdd devices as well.

If this trick should work, i guess it have to be by using pin 12 in stead of pin 10, but I still dont see how. Best thing is to get some utilities to flash the device through JTAG but this is out of my knowledge.

Best regards
    Vidar (Z)

Thats make sense, that connectin pin 12 to GND, resets the whole device since this is the reset pin of the memory. I guess that reset of main processor and memory share logical net. However, the datasheet of the memmory can be found here...http://www.spansion.com/products/Am29LV320D.html. The MX part number you reffere to is youst another brand of the same memory, fully compatible. I have seen this been used in some wl-hdd devices as well.

If this trick should work, i guess it have to be by using pin 12 in stead of pin 10, but I still dont see how. Best thing is to get some utilities to flash the device through JTAG but this is out of my knowledge.

Best regards
    Vidar (Z)
    The ASUS doesn't have a JTAG connector. If it had one it wouldn't be a problem for me to revive him.

So... does anyone know to which pins (of IC's, whatever) I have to solder a JTAG cable? I have a Linksys router here but I rather ask first before I "reverse engineer" the Linksys JTAG mount...

Exclamation How do I solder a JTAG connector to ASUS WL500

The only way to revive it. I know there have had been efforts in the past to make this possible, but the explanations are too sloppy.

So how do I solder JTAG to my Router mainboard?

Where can I get information about how to solder JTAG to the mainboard?

No, failsafe mode doesnt work.
    No, connecting PIN 10, 12, etc of the flashrom did never work.

Thanks,
    Dirk

Thumbs up EJTAG BCM5365P

There is a CE report document in the files section containing the schematics and PCB layouts of the wl500gx device.

http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500gx/document/ * http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g%20deluxe/document/

On page 10 you'll find that TDI/TDO/TMS/TCK are connected to resistor network RN21 and resistor R77, respectively.

Now go to page 23 and search for RN21. It's left of the processor chip. I haven't tried it but I'm curious if it works.

At least, EJTAG DeBrick Utility has some support for BCM5365 from version 4.4 on. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php..._WL500g_Deluxe

Good luck!

fritz
    Last edited by Omega; 10-06-2013 at 23:44. Reason: fixed

Thanks!

> There is a CE report document in the files section containing the schematics and PCB layouts of the wl500gx device.

Which files section? I can only find a file section containing firmwares....

Could you give me a link?

I'll definately try this... If it works I'll report back here... If it doesn't and I trashbin the router I'll report too...

Which files section? I can only find a file section containing firmwares....

Could you give me a link?
    I meant this: http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500gx/document/

Hi noisyb,

i have the same problem
    i can't help you at that moment but maybe later
    when you found a solution earlier please let me know

Best regards
    Tomek

I'll definately try this... If it works I'll report back here... If it doesn't and I trashbin the router I'll report too...
    Sure, where is the 'report' then?
    If i would have been writing this, i would have 'reported' back, why promise otherwise?

I can't get to that part of the site to find that document, as the link gives a 'forbidden'.
    What should the filename be?
    Is this really for a WL-500G-deluxe, as the broadcom chip differs from the non-deluxe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast