Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The IDE Drive...replaceable?

The IDE Drive...replaceable?

Only the quickstart guide was on the asus website. I just want to make sure you can definitely open the router and change the ide drive without affecting the warranty.

Thanks,
    LK.

@LeperKing

Yes it is ! But you will lost the warranty !
    The disk is labled with a stickers ! If broken ....

But you need no tools to open it .

cu

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by PXP52
    @LeperKing

Yes it is ! But you will lost the warranty !
    The disk is labled with a stickers ! If broken ....

But you need no tools to open it .

cu

Dirk

Thanks Dirk

Stickers

Hi,

What I read on the stickers that was that harddisk warranty is void when the seals are broken.

Or did I read this wrong?!

Talking

Yes you can, but kills the waranty. It is easy to open. see pics:

Greetings,

Alex

Hi,
    wich Format run at the internal HDD. I replace the Original HDD with a new bigger one but nothing happens. Can anybody help me?!

BlueEye

BlueEye: you can find out when you plug in the drive into your computer and boot it up either under linux or under windows with a program like Partition Magic Installed. If you do not happen to have linux somewhere, I suggest you use GParted LiveCD(it is very easy and should do it very straightforwardly); download it from here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...5.iso?download burn it to a CD (might be rewriteable), then boot up with the CD in your CD drive, wait about a minute and then hit enter several times (or select something that is not default, for example your language might be supported if you are not comfortable with english) - if it does not work, you might try to change either graphic driver or colour resolution. It then should display a simple graphic environment with a single window open - I hope you will be able to learn from it which filesystem is on the disk.
    If you do not know what you are doing, do not press anything like apply - you could irreversibly erase data on your disks.

Hi sup!
    Thank you for your reply.
    Partition Magic say... no readble Partition at the HDD and Linux is not for me.
    I send ASUS an eMail and i hope that the support help me.

BlueEye

It's very easy to change the HDD...

1. Change the HDD at the WL-700gE
    2. Put a Networkcable to the WL-700gE and the PC
    3. Start the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool and select a Firmwarefile (WL700gE_1.0.4.1.nas) and put the Upload-Button.

Now the Firmware is uploading and after ~2-3 Minutes the new HDD is ready to use
    For the first Test i use a 400GB HDD

For the permanent use now i put a 40GB 2,5" HDD into the WL-700gE. The Samsung HDD works super silent and now the Box is perfect.

Sorry for my bad english!

BlueEye
    Last edited by BlueEye; 22-05-2006 at 18:46.

Talking

Great! I thought so, that it was so easy.
    But why a costly 2,5" HDD and not a cheap 3,5" HDD?
    But now the waranty is gone. can you not make pics from the inside (close ups from the board..)? That would be great..
    Last edited by Fixma; 22-05-2006 at 19:39.
    Greetings,

Alex

A 2.5 " HDD is much quieter than a 3.5 " HDD
    I would have to screw the box apart around the photos to make and that am somewhat too pedantic me

BlueEye

Thanks for the pictures BlueEyes. What did you use to facilitate the use of the 2.5 hard drive?

LK

Can somebody tell me if the firmware restauration tool formats/erases the disk? I have important existing data on it!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEye
    It's very easy to change the HDD...

1. Change the HDD at the WL-700gE
    2. Put a Networkcable to the WL-700gE and the PC
    3. Start the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool and select a Firmwarefile (WL700gE_1.0.4.1.nas) and put the Upload-Button.
    After pushing the upload button I get a dos window telling "Attempting to download firmware to local subnet" and that's it. Tried it on 2 different PCs with XP Prof. Of course the nas-file is stored locally on both PCs and I've disabled all other network connections except for ethernet. The router is connected directly to the PCs by ethernet cable. And again the whole thing turns out to be a perfect example for time destroying machines.....

Quote Originally Posted by fraho
    After pushing the upload button I get a dos window telling "Attempting to download firmware to local subnet" and that's it. Tried it on 2 different PCs with XP Prof. Of course the nas-file is stored locally on both PCs and I've disabled all other network connections except for ethernet. The router is connected directly to the PCs by ethernet cable. And again the whole thing turns out to be a perfect example for time destroying machines.....
    Same thing here..

Are there any preparation you have to do before switching the disks ?
    Are you supposed to get a "Ready" light on ofter switching disks ?
    Must you do a reset before you starting uploading the firmware ?
    What TCP/IP settings should you use ?
    Are the process supposed to take long time ?
    Are the "HDD" light going to be active during firmware upload ?

UPDATE: Figured it out. You have to reset WL-700
    And you have to put in a static IP 192.168.1.2 and Gateway 192.168.1.1 in you network card's TCP/IP Setting in Windows.
    After this remove powercord and set it in again when the unit us up then start the firmware repair tool.
    You should now see som action in the cmd windows about device requesting firmware

This worked for me.

PS: Do not enter any DNS server in the TCP/IP config.
    Last edited by NismoC32; 14-07-2006 at 23:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast