Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WL-500g Premium aka WL-500gP Info

WL-500g Premium aka WL-500gP Info

Hi everyone,

I am from Romania and the guys at the store here told me that WL-500g is no longer available , and it will be replaced by "WL-500g Premium".

I wanted to buy a WL-500g but that is no longer possible so now I have to buy a WL-500gP. But before I do that I just wanted to ask if this model also supports firmware upgade like WL-500g did ??

What are de differences between WL-500g and WL-500gP ??

I need this router to perform QOS in my lan ... is this still possible ??

Thanks in advance
    Mircea

I have no knowledge of an upcoming device called wl-500gP, but there will definately be the wl-700gE coming. Think it's safe to say that this one will do EVERYTHING you ever wanted to do with a router (cept flying to the moon, that might need a firmware upgrade or two )

This is the link for the router ...

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...21&modelmenu=1

Oh cool, thx for the link. Didn't know they are continuing the 500 series.

The obvious differences are "UPnP Media Server (whatever that is)" and the "Download Machine" (for example a Bittorrent client I expect, like the wl-700gE), a 0.3A more powerful DC adaptor (i think the wl-500gx had 2A), that would be good for USB devices without own power supply. I'm trying to download the manual to check for QoS ability, but DL speed is SLOOOOW!

Edit: Yes according to manual it has the "Bandwith Management" known from the wl-500g(x).
    Last edited by TheEagle; 09-05-2006 at 22:39.

UPnP mediaserver is a media streaming server that supports the UPnP standard, like the Twonkyvision server for example.

For an (incomplete) list of hardware players that support this standard, chek out this link :
    http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/devices.html
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

More info on WL-500gP

Googling around, I found http://www.cloetens.be/indeling/WLANMarch06.pdf: "WL-500gP is the latest router from WL-500g series. Equipped with much faster CPU power (300MHz) and 8MB flash memory, enhancing performance, stability, and more possibility of putting customized firmware."

I remember reading something like having 64Mb of RAM on the device... Can anyone confirm this?

And it seems to have the same price as the older WL-500g's here in The Netherlands: from about E86,- (http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/137102). Sounds like a really good price-performance ratio (in contrast to the WL-700).

I don't know if anyone has uploaded any custom made firmwares to it.

Add an USB-VGA adaptor and a USB keyboard, and you've got a very-low-end competitor for the EPIAs

So in fact it's a wl-700gE without the built-in HD. Same CPU and so on ... too bad there's not much known about the inner life yet.
    And the price makes me hope I'll get my hands on one of those (at least much sooner than I could afford the wl-700gE).

First actual impressions

Accidentally bought it yesterday.

1) Management interface is terrible and unreliable, still the same look and feel as 3 years ago when I briefly owned a WL500g. Unline Linksys, it needs restart for every change and you never really know if it's coming back or not. Sometimes the web interface doesn't come up, usually the DHCP IP assignement failes and I need to 'repair' my wireless connection. Really annoying.
    2) There is NO WAY to increase the power output beyond its default value (9 in the scale 1-84) - router simply ignores the setting. Coverage in my appartment is therefore pretty bad. Hope this gets fixed with firmware update.
    3) Managed to hook in an USB device (Flash key), can browse it with my Windows Explorer, but DownloadMaster can't detect the settings no matter what I set in the management interface. So the potentially cool feature does not work. Next firmware update, perhaps?
    4) Biggest problem: power plug of my wl500gp is badly built. So just by slightly moving the device, the power gets cut off. When I was playing with USB, this happened a lot and router managed to lose all my settings. It took 3 restores and reconfigurations to get everything back.

ASUS, I am not happy!

If you're going to install a custom firmware these aren't probably serious problems, are they?
    Can you check the amount of ram the device has and the cpu clock?
    What about the performance of an attached hdd with an usb2.0 enclosure?

USB works beautifully, it's really fast.

----------------
    MEMINFO
    total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
    Mem: 14651392 13529088 1122304 0 749568 4759552
    Swap: 0 0 0
    MemTotal: 14308 kB
    MemFree: 1096 kB
    MemShared: 0 kB
    Buffers: 732 kB
    Cached: 4648 kB
    SwapCached: 0 kB
    Active: 4760 kB
    Inactive: 4436 kB
    HighTotal: 0 kB
    HighFree: 0 kB
    LowTotal: 14308 kB
    LowFree: 1096 kB
    SwapTotal: 0 kB
    SwapFree: 0 kB

-----------------
    CPUINFO
    system type : Broadcom BCM4704 chip rev 8
    processor : 0
    cpu model : BCM3302 V0.6
    BogoMIPS : 262.96
    wait instruction : no
    microsecond timers : yes
    tlb_entries : 32
    extra interrupt vector : no
    hardware watchpoint : no
    VCED exceptions : not available
    VCEI exceptions : not available
    unaligned_instructions : 13
    dcache hits : 67633165
    dcache misses : 256
    icache hits : 524800
    icache misses : 0
    instructions : 0

i am indeed an asus rookie. just discovered the infamous "/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr 84" command and surely it is ignored by the router the very same way as in the management interface. strange.

i have one of this baby too :P
    I installed dd-wrt on it (first what firmware version u have on urs as i made backup of mine ) .Now compiling the dd-wrt to have the usb support inbuild

florin, my firmware version is 1.9.6.2. have you managed to enable usb support? where do i get this distro?

wl-500g premium

Hello!

I ned some firmware to upgrade radio power on asus wl-500g premium access point for bridge! Can someone help me?

Well it's been reported OpenWrt is running on wl-500g, don't know if the power setting is working tho. Don't know about Oleg's FW yet. BUT ... you know increasing the power is rarely the best solution, using better antennas instead (even the ones ou can build yourself ) will usually give you real improvements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast