Thread: wl500gx and power problem

wl500gx and power problem

The router is attached with power supply 5V and 2A !!! ????
    Is it possible, the small power supply can support this big power for this device ?

I see I have 3.3V in router (not 5V). The samsung 80G hard drive uses 2.5W for 5V . Is it possible to use it and use internal usb for use it inside with powering over usb ?

I suppose , I will not buy better power supply for it. I have 3 size like attached and is only for 0.5A .

If samsung hd is not the best, maybe is other for 3.3V with smaller power consumption ? I need it for build-in to inside router.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom0000
    The router is attached with power supply 5V and 2A !!! ????
    Is it possible, the small power supply can support this big power for this device ?
    The powersupply is probably a switchmode type, so it doesn't have to be big to deliver the needed power.

I see I have 3.3V in router (not 5V). The samsung 80G hard drive uses 2.5W for 5V . Is it possible to use it and use internal usb for use it inside with powering over usb ?
    Is it a 2,5" drive ? Since most 2,5" external harddisc drives with can be fed from a laptops usb port, I guess it would work. A 3,5" drive ? Probably not.

[....]

Leif

Yes, I am writeing about 2.5"
    How much power this usb can prepare for external device ?

Sorry, I don't know the specs, but after searching in the forum a bit (you did this too, of course.. ? , it seems a bit of hit and miss. Sometimes it spins up, sometimes it leave the router temporary dead. If I were you, I would power it externally, to be sure.

Now, the big issue it really to make it spin down (power management), to save your ears.. This seems a bit tricky also.

I only plan to plug in a USB stick myself.