View Poll Results: WHERE WOULD YOU PREFER TO THROW YOUR WL-HDD TO?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • THE SEA

1 50.00%
  • THE SPACE

0 0%
  • THE GARBAGE BIN

0 0%
  • ASUS OFFICES

1 50.00%
  • NOWHERE...I'D SELL IT

0 0%

Thread: Wi-fi Lan 10/100 Mess Because Of Wl-hdd???

Post Wi-fi Lan 10/100 Mess Because Of Wl-hdd???

Hello there guys!!!

I cannot tell you how much happy I feel now that I've found your forum, so that I hope to get (and offer) all the support I may need!!!

I have just got dissapointed by ASUS support for my WL-HDD, since there is NO official support site in my country and the closest support site, to which I should go to in case of troubleshooting, is in Italy!!!

Now, with my problem:

I have 1 desktop, 2 laptop, and 1 PDA using my home network...
    The Desktop PC is using both Wi-Fi & Ethernet 10/100 interface for networking. Through Wi-Fi, I get access to My D-Link 900AP+ Wi-FI AP/Router, which, through an Ethernet cable is connected to my Thomson Speedtouch ADSL Modem (pretty good one!)...
    The IP range for Wi-Fi set-up is 10.0.0.xxx, with net mask 255.0.0.0. The gateway used, is my ADSL modem's IP address.

The Ethernet network, using a D-Link switch, uses the range 192.168.1.xxx, and is used (for the moment) only to access my Ethernet capable Hewlett Packard 2610 Multi-Printer-Scanner...e.t.c...machine.

I have bought the WL-HDD, only to use it as a Wi-Fi hard drive, accessible by all computers.

Unfortunatelly, after using the Ethernet cabling to set it up, I either will, have the ability to access my WL-HDD through Ethernet (ofcourse), but, I will loose all my access to Internet (through Wi-Fi) ofcourse.

If now, I disconnect my Ethernet cable from my WL-HDD, I can get access to Internet, but, no longer to my WL-HDD...

Funny huh???

...Now, the realy funny part:

I have noticed that keeping messing up with my network had just resulted in not allowing me to access (AT ALL!!!) my Wi-Fi network, but, only if I was choosing to completely de-activate the Ethernet connection on my desktop PC!!!

Anyway, now that I am that close to throwing my 40 GB WL-HDD to the sea, is there anyone to help me out?

Many thanks for your time and help!!!

Wild guess: your WL-HDD does not get access to the wireless LAN (eg. due to WEP-settings or MAC-filtering), so it will go into AP mode and through DHCP screw up the wireless settings of the clients in the network if they are auto-roaming?

Unhappy Wll Messing Up My Network!!!

Thanks very much for your interest!!!

The only DHCP server active in my network, is my ADSL modem. It only assigns my AP/Router (of D-Link with a single IP address!!!).

No MAC, WEP or any other filtering or access control method is used, as I just wanted to keep things simple, till I find a solution....

All other clients in the network are using static IP...

Any other Ideas????

Thanks!

...wireless Mess Un-messed Up!

...Thanks to the post of another member of the forum (for a similar case of his) I managed to make it work.

Anyway,

Thanks a lot for the help,.

Exclamation

It would be nice to future people having this same problem, if you gave a short description of what worked for you (or at least to another post that does)...