Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wl 500g and ipv6

wl 500g and ipv6

Hello

It is possibile to write a ipv6 module for the wl-500g ?

I assume it's enough to cross compile a kernel including the ipv6 module, and install ipv6-compatible IP utilities. If someone has tried this, I'm interested too

Can somebody say if it possible or not with the resources on the 500g

Yes, it's possible. Why not?

Not so much resources !? I don`t know how much the 500g can do.

Question: Can you implentate the IPv6 module in you next firmware release?

Not at this time, sorry. This requires number of changes, including recompiling the toolchain (namely c library).

adding busybox applets (for ipv6 support)

Hello,

I would like to add the 'awk' (not for v6 but for some powerful scripting facilities ), 'ip', and 'ping6', applets to the OLEG 1.7.9.5 firmware.

I succeeded in adding IPv6 support (changing wl500config) and recompile kernel. The ipv6.o module is not created, so I use an openwrt version for that. using the busybox executable on http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware/app/ I can use the 'ip' applet to set and look at ipv6 addresses (ip -6 a). I can create 6over4 tunnels to a ipv6 tunnel broker. That works. However ping6 is lacking, and another of (for my purpose useless) bunch of applets are included generating a busybox of 2.6M.

I'd like to create a lean and mean busybox myself. How should I proceed? Make changed in respective config files (editors, network) of busybox and make a new patch file using diff? Or making the changes in the 1.7.9.5. busybox.patch file? Same question for the native 'ip' executable of the iproute2 package: how can I have that compiled as well?

Any suggestions? Any other users of this forum interested in ipv6 support?

Quote Originally Posted by sodb
    Hello,

I would like to add the 'awk' (not for v6 but for some powerful scripting facilities ), 'ip', and 'ping6', applets to the OLEG 1.7.9.5 firmware.
    awk is way to big for custom firmware... Also, uclibc was compiled with no ipv6 so, there would be probably some problems.
    I succeeded in adding IPv6 support (changing wl500config) and recompile kernel. The ipv6.o module is not created, so I use an openwrt version for that.
    Check your config, you should not use any precompiled stuff.
    using the busybox executable on http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware/app/ I can use the 'ip' applet to set and look at ipv6 addresses (ip -6 a). I can create 6over4 tunnels to a ipv6 tunnel broker. That works. However ping6 is lacking, and another of (for my purpose useless) bunch of applets are included generating a busybox of 2.6M.

I'd like to create a lean and mean busybox myself. How should I proceed? Make changed in respective config files (editors, network) of busybox and make a new patch file using diff?
    The sequence could be as follows - compile the firmware using make, once done reconfigure busybox and make new patch:
    Code:
    make
    cd build/busybox
    make menuconfig
    cd ../..
    make busybox-diff
    cp build/busybox*.patch .
    make
    you should then save resultant patch in the safe place. ;-)
    Or making the changes in the 1.7.9.5. busybox.patch file? Same question for the native 'ip' executable of the iproute2 package: how can I have that compiled as well?
    It's compiled but not installed. Consult firmware Makefile on how to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodb

Any suggestions? Any other users of this forum interested in ipv6 support?

Yes!

(I need only the routing, no TB)

Cool Seeing ipv6 module would be nice.

Since SP2 for XP has come out it feels like a lot more people are getting into ipv6. Or back, as it were. SixXS and other players, are providing more services too. In holland the first native ipv6 IPSs are starting to starting to appear for the general public...

It would be nice if you beat Asus to it...

Conrado.

Eeek

I dont know whar all World wants with IPv6, it breaks compatibility, and this tunels gateways and so and look all like crazy hacks . Itīs nice to have an IP for every molekule on earth but it could had been enough to rip away some of the big unused subnets from the companys and countrys they had granted to in the early years ...

You say, V6 Providers come up ? do they grand you one IP or a small subnet of, say, 10 ipīs to your connection ? This would ne the only nice thing to have, direkt internet ipīs for more than one device, 2nd PC, maybe the frigerator or so on. But as long as you have to use NAT it is useless and v4 would be enough.

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Eeek

I dont know whar all World wants with IPv6, it breaks compatibility, and this tunels gateways and so and look all like crazy hacks . Itīs nice to have an IP for every molekule on earth but it could had been enough to rip away some of the big unused subnets from the companys and countrys they had granted to in the early years ...
    Correct, but no way that's gonna happen. Thats why IPv6 is coming...

You say, V6 Providers come up ? do they grand you one IP or a small subnet of, say, 10 ipīs to your connection ? This would ne the only nice thing to have, direkt internet ipīs for more than one device, 2nd PC, maybe the frigerator or so on. But as long as you have to use NAT it is useless and v4 would be enough.

Greets
    NAT is a hack too, designed to cope with the limited IP addresses available.

IPv6 is the way forward because there's no way the US or the big companies are giving up their rights to a disproportional amount of IP addresses. Its all about power... Thats why the Asian countries are promoting IPv6 so much and the US is doing nothing with it.

Question Which firmware would be appropriate ? (ssh + ipv6) ?

HEllo,

I am running official firmware v 1.8.1.9 on my wl500g, but I previously (before I got my asus router) had an account for a 6-to-4 tunnel with my isp which was very helpful (i am university student!).

Could you please prescribe me with the appropriate firmware version to set up ?

Moreover, I tried to downgrade to Oleg's firm v. 1.7.5.9-5 to access console using ssh, but I did not manage to open a session. This is because actual firmware has empty login field, and only password (which will not function using telnet).

Thanx in advance

just for these feature, openwrt. In fact, I have justed packaged such a customized build of openwrt(ipv6+dropbear). It is pretty easy. I just use the 6to4 tunnel through 192.88.99.1 which surprising works with my ISP(and I believe many other ISP too).

However, you also lose a lot of the nice feature of ASUS(and the customized one by oleg which has even more).

Out of the box, ASUS is the most feature rich comparing with those from linksys etc. Just wish the guys behind openwrt use the ASUS firmware as a starting point rather than the linksys :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    IPv6 is the way forward because there's no way the US or the big companies are giving up their rights to a disproportional amount of IP addresses. Its all about power... Thats why the Asian countries are promoting IPv6 so much and the US is doing nothing with it.
    There is some improvement though. The Pentagon announced last year that they are migrating their infrastructure to IPv6 and they want to have finished the migration in 2005/2006

But indeed, Asia is the major IPv6 drive.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast