Thread: Cannot share files via wi-fi - can anybody help?

Cannot share files via wi-fi - can anybody help?

I have two PCs connected to Asus wl-500g de luxe router (one Win ME desktop PC via LAN, one notebook Win XP via wi-fi). The router itself is connected to cable modem. I have set up internet connections for both PCs and everything works fine (both via wi-fi and network cable).

My problem is that when my notebook is not connected to the router via network cable, I cannot use the shared folders (one shared folder on both computers - windows reports the folder shared on the other computer is inaccessible, I can obviously use the folder located on the same computer) on the desktop PC and vice versa. When I plug the network cable into the notebook (i.e., have a cable connection from desktop to router and from router to notebook), I have full access to both shared folders on both computers. Unpluging the cable will disable it again.

I use automatic IP pooling on the router, all connections have the same subnet mask.

I tried everything I could and ran out of ideas. Can anybody help me how to set-up the connection so that I do not have to plug in the cable everytime I need to share files on both computers?

Thanks,

AlesCz

FYI, I use Asus firmware 1.8.2.1 (did not need it to change so far).

Strange - it partially works

After reading some stuff at this forum, I tried to enter in win XP the \\192.168.1.2 address. Now the Win XP on the notebook can access the files at the desktop even if network cable is not plugged in. The desktop however cannot access the notebook's shared folder no matter what I do (similar order executed on the Win ME desktop does not work - windows still cannot locate the desktop).

Strange, very strange... I suppose it is one of the Bill Gate's incompatibility issues...

Anyway, is it possible to set-up the file sharing so that I do not have to enter the \\ command everytime I reset the notebook? And is it possible to run file sharing from Win ME notebook?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCz
    I suppose it is one of the Bill Gate's incompatibility issues...
    Do not mention Billy and read Windows Networking / File Sharing. It's realy great resource with tons of explanation, how-to and useful diagnostic utilities concerning notorious Windows File Sharing. And there is nothing to do with Asus Linux box, just concentrate all your efforts on Windows machines.

I already know it has nothing to do with ASUS. I found out that if I do the \\ command from notebook (win XP), than I can share files both way from/to the notebook. This is very strange.

AlexCz

Thank you for giving me the link. I think I found the problem - master browser must be turned off on either one of the computers (Win ME x Win Xp incompatibility issue).

Although I did not have a time to test it, I have the feeling that this is it.

Could also be you set the "AP isolated" option in Advanced Wireless Settings in the router?

Problem

Hello Alex,
    I have the same problem as you have. Two PC connected to router (desktop an NTB - both Win XP) and router to cable modem. When computers are connected via network cable - everything works fine. if NTB is connected via wifi - I cannot see shared folders. I can only see shared folders in desktop through search fuction.
    I think problem is in wifi section on router. Try to ping your computers. If computers are connected through network cabel, I have no problem to ping any of computers. If NTB is connected via wifi - I can ping to desktop PC from NTB but I cannot ping NTB from desktop - It seems very strange to me. I have tried three different NTB´s with wifi card and the same result.

Maybe there is problem with firmware of router - have the same as you 1.8.2.1.

Further I have problem with forwarding ports on this router (e.g. for emule). I have also tried to follow these instructions http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=333
    but without success. I will appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Last edited by MassaroCZ; 28-02-2006 at 10:27.

Forwarding ports

Hello again,
    I fixed the problem with forwarding ports by loading new firmware 1.9.5.6. It works fine now. But the problem with connection remains.

I can only confirm your observations. When I ping from ntb to desktop, I get response. It however does not work the other way, I cannot ping from desktop to ntb.

Nevetheless, I learned the way to bypass this problem. When I dial command \\192.168.1.2 (where the IP number is IP of my desktop) in the Win XP order line of my ntb, I can ping both ways and also share files. The computers still do not show in the network neighbourhood, but I can get access to shared folders.

As I have only 2 comps and do not share files frequently, I do not consider this issue to be such a big deal. For me, it is one of the Bill Gate's mysteries which usually disappear next time I buy a new system... As it is possible to get the two comps to communicate both ways, I do not blame the router.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCz
    Nevetheless, I learned the way to bypass this problem. When I dial command \\192.168.1.2 (where the IP number is IP of my desktop) in the Win XP order line of my ntb, I can ping both ways and also share files. The computers still do not show in the network neighbourhood, but I can get access to shared folders.
    I fixed this problem with LSP/Winsock fix in XP SP2. After all you should retype all IP addresses in connection properties window.