I have two PCs connected to Asus wl-500g de luxe router (one Win ME desktop PC via LAN, one notebook Win XP via wi-fi). The router itself is connected to cable modem. I have set up internet connections for both PCs and everything works fine (both via wi-fi and network cable).

My problem is that when my notebook is not connected to the router via network cable, I cannot use the shared folders (one shared folder on both computers - windows reports the folder shared on the other computer is inaccessible, I can obviously use the folder located on the same computer) on the desktop PC and vice versa. When I plug the network cable into the notebook (i.e., have a cable connection from desktop to router and from router to notebook), I have full access to both shared folders on both computers. Unpluging the cable will disable it again.

I use automatic IP pooling on the router, all connections have the same subnet mask.

I tried everything I could and ran out of ideas. Can anybody help me how to set-up the connection so that I do not have to plug in the cable everytime I need to share files on both computers?

Thanks,

AlesCz

FYI, I use Asus firmware 1.8.2.1 (did not need it to change so far).