Thread: Confusion regarding WL-500g Deluxe V

Question Confusion regarding WL-500g Deluxe V

Hi all.
    I have replaced my WL-500g with WL-500gx router, however there is one item which worries me.
    The model name of my new router is WL-500g Deluxe V, and this V letter at the end is strange for me.
    It came with firmware 1.9.5.4.
    Does anybody know the difference between WL-500g Deluxe and WL-500g Deluxe V.
    May I use a software developed for WL-500gx in my router?
    Thanks in advance.
    Adam

There are several reports on this forum that there's no obvious difference to the normal "gx" ... and they also say you can use Oleg's FW for the gx on it. Feel free to use the search and read yourself

"500g Deluxe", "Deluxe V", "520g-X", ???

Update: Finally I found this:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...uxe+difference
    The guess now is "V" is only a software difference. As to what ASUS published on the website 500g-X and nothing at all published on "V", I guess we'll have to wait for some info to _leak_.

---

I recently bought a "WL-500 Deluxe" (model name according to the sticker) and just read of one person having problems running Kismet on the "Deluxe V" version.
    Nervous I got such a newer model with some features disabled, I tried figuring out how to distinguish variations of "Deluxe" and what differences they have.

I tried advanced search on "Deluxe V" (including quotes) which matches almost every forum post, while "Deluxe V" difference gives nothing useful. Googling on this second term gave two chat logs:

http://openwrt.org/logs/openwrt.log.20060209
    [20:31] <scandium> are there any infos what the difference between the asus wl500g deluxe and deluxe V are, or if there are any?!
    [20:31] <macsat> brb
    [20:33] <nbd> scandium: unknown. both work well with openwrt
    Fri Feb 10 2006

[18:43] <bastardo> hi, I have an ASUS WL500g deluxe V, currently firmware 1.9.5.4 is installed. I'd like to use openWRT,OpenWRT or OpenWrt, however the currently installed firmware is not available anywhere and I'd like to have it as a backup plan if I mess up badly. Does someone know how to get it?
    [18:44] <Flyashi> bastardo: not on Asus's website?
    [18:45] <bastardo> seems like it's too new. they don't even list the V model yet
    [18:45] <Flyashi> i'm sure it's probably similar to some other model... find the most similar one and get its firmware
    [18:45] <bastardo> I actually ordered a Wl500g deluxe. I got this different model. I don't even know the differences
    [18:46] <bastardo> It should be similar to the wl500g deluxe, however the current firmware for the wl500g is 1.9.5.0
    Wed 22 Feb 2006

On asus.com, downloads section, there's a model WL 500g-X with firmware version 1.9.5.4 dated 2005/11/10. The downloadable manual for 500g-X, when opened, says "WL 520g".
    The asus.com, product section, shows "Deluxe" without mentioning any "Deluxe V".

* It seems some people write 500gx for the "500g Deluxe". Maybe we'd better use the model names as written on the sticker under the unit.

* Are ASUS shipping two modifications of Deluxe - V and X aka 520g - or what's up with this?