Thread: No DHCP in Hybrid mode?

No DHCP in Hybrid mode?

Hi fellow WL500 users!
    I'm trying to create a WDS bridge to my neighbor's wireless.
    I would like to configure my WL500Gx as WDS, but I would like to be able to keep AP functionality, so I'm trying to use the Hybrid mode.
    I use factory defaults, the latest Oleg firmware, no security/encryption (yet) and only changed my SSID and Wireless bridge mode (AP Only => Hybrid).
    As soon as I change the mode to Hybrid, DHCP doesn't seem to work in my WL500. Normally I connect and issue an ipconfig on the client I receive the IP address 192.168.1.2 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1.
    When I put the WL500Gx in Hybrid and connect to it, connecting takes much longer and an ipconfig shows 169.254.218.235 and no gateway. This leads me to believe that DHCP is not working in Hybrid mode. Is this correct?
    Thank you very much for any help!!!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric van Loon

A 169.x.x.x would indicate that DHCP is not working. 169.x.x.x is an address that Win XP assigns itself if it can not get an address from a DHCP server. I am a noob myself so I do not know too much about the custom firmware. Possible in hybrid mode the DHCP functions are given to the other access point which is not running DHCP? Or maybe the other AP is running DHCP and you have conflicting address ranges, like you said if every thing is default, this is very possible. Maybe you should attempt to set different LAN IP address range.

tokyoturnip

No conflicting IP adresses. My DHCP range is 192.168.1.x, the other access point is 192.168.2.x. I can imagine that DHCP is disabled when you select the WDS only mode, but the hybrid mode is WDS and AP mode combined, so my would expect DHCP to work in this mode...
    I hope that someone with WDS experience can verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by evanloon View Post
    No conflicting IP adresses. My DHCP range is 192.168.1.x, the other access point is 192.168.2.x. I can imagine that DHCP is disabled when you select the WDS only mode, but the hybrid mode is WDS and AP mode combined, so my would expect DHCP to work in this mode...
    I hope that someone with WDS experience can verify this?
    DHCP works with me in hybrid mode. But I use the original firmware...