Thread: WL500gx - Oleg's FW 1.9.2.7-7b and centrino notebook problems

Arrow WL500gx - Oleg's FW 1.9.2.7-7b and centrino notebook problems - wl-100gx

first of all, i would like to thank everybody here in the forum, for the good answers and help.

i' ve read a lot in this forum but can't figure out how to setup the recent Oleg FW correctly.
    i' ve got a centrino notebook with an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (802.11b/g) and a WL500gx. it is not possible for me to get an stable wireless connection with the Oleg FW 1.9.2.7-7b, with asus 1.9.5.0 no problem! i get a very poor connection, 10 sec. later it's gone. i can't reconnect. 30 sec. i'm online again for 10 sec.... and so on.
    i've allready updated the intel software (10.1.0.3) and driver (9.0.3.9). no changes.

what are the differences (wireless- part) between the Oleg and the asus FW??? what can i change in the setups (router or notebook)?

MARCO
    Last edited by mako2077; 13-02-2006 at 17:42.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mako2077
    30 sec. i'm online again for 10 sec.... and so on.
    i've allready updated the intel software (10.1.0.3) and driver (9.0.3.9). no changes.
    Try to switch off power saving in driver page for Intel device. Problem is well known, search forums in Broadbands Reports with "Intel 2200".

Unhappy

i 've allready done so... without success.

i've read about the update on the asus- site:

WL-500g Deluxe English Firmware Version, version 1.9.5.0
    1. Remove console message
    2. Fix Table editing bugs
    3. Update wireless driver
    4. Update et driver

is it possible by downloading the "GPL source code for firmware version 1.9.5.0" AND the Oleg Linux file to compile a combination of both (copy/ paste). #3 is for me the most important update. i really don't know, maybe its absolutely impossible and i have to wait for Oleg's new FW...

MARCO

Unhappy

thanks for your hints,

i followed your installation- steps, using the "old" driver (version: 8.0.12.20000), but i still got a very unstable connection. it is now 5 minutes stable, then i loose the connection again! this is very strange. BUT it was working very good with the Asus FW 1.9.5.0! i have got really no idea!

("Intel software" was 9.0... now 8.0.... is just the program in the system tray, next to the speaker icon and clock.)

looking for new solutions...
    MARCO

BTW, everything else is is working very well... samba, hd with one fat32 and one ext3 partition.
    Last edited by mako2077; 06-02-2006 at 23:54.

Question

looking for new solutions...
    Did you try to change channel number?
    Looks like radio part suffers from strong interference caused by new wireless network nearby, neighbour's wireless phone or microwave oven.

i tried severeal channels now, set the radio power up to 50mW, without solving the problem. i realy don't know.
    there are up to 7 other wireless networks in my area, maybe this is a problem!?

MARCO

There are up to 7 other wireless networks in my area
    I think this bunch of nearby networks is a big problem. Besides simple radio interference this wireless mess constantly forces wireless client to establish new connection. It is strange but this is weak point of Wi-Fi network model. Beeing connected and even transferring data wireless client may find another network and attempt to connect to it. I've read several reports about it.

Try to find in Intel driver property page all parameters connected to the so called Roaming strategy and play with them. Probably it will help you. To have clear picture of your wireless environment use network scanner, for example, this AP scan utility.

your problem...

... in addition to my entry at the German part of this forum:

If there is more than one WLAN near to you. Try to use network stumbler on your laptop to find out the frequences/channels already in use. Then select one of the free channels with the highest distance to an occupied one. Don't use the automatic feature. In my neighbourhood there are 3 WLANs and I'm working fine on channel 2 without any probs. Same at my office.

I'm working with more than one WL500 g and g deluxe. WLAN is definitely no problem of this device. So let's try to fix your problem.

By the way yes there is a new WLAN driver integrated in 1.9.5.0, yes it is working much better than the one in 1.9.2.7. Yes there are a lot of bug fixes ( WDS WPA-PSK) included. Unfortunatelly it is developed by broadcom the chipset manufacturer and it is not open source. AND it is not compatible to the 1.9.2.7 structures

It is not possible easily exchange the wl.o :-(

Working with 1.9.5.0 is still no option for me. Oleg software is simply to good and offering to many additional useful features. (Thanks again Oleg and all of you investing time to improve this firmware!!) To do a step back to the official software is no feature for me.

Had the same issues:

1. Get rid of the Intel software, use the default WXP zero wireless configuration stuff
    2. Install the latest Intel driver (driver only!!)
    3. Adjust the Power Management level of the network card to maximum
    4. Use a free channel

Worked for me.

Unhappy wl-100g deluxe

hi Masimo and everybody else,

today i bought a wl-100g deluxe card, to get rid of those Intel2200bg problems! google for "intel 2200 problems" and you' ll get >650.000 hits.

BUT this one is NOT working neither! i really don't know what to do! i like this Oleg FW 1.9.2.7-7b so much. i m not going back to the Asus 1.9.5.0 FW!

but now with the 100g deluxe i can't even see my ssid! very strange!

i' ve got the last drivers for the card, reinstalled them, reinstalled them without the asus support utility, set the 500gx to the factory defaults...

what else can i do??

MARCO

sorry, for my bad english, i'm german living in the netherlands!

Question

What Win XP Service Pack is installed on your notebook?

Win XP Service Pack 2