Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WL-HDD in client mode (wireless)

WL-HDD in client mode (wireless)

I want to share my WL-HDD over the lan. I want to connect it only with wireless (I have a router ZyXEL 660HW). Can someone tell me the correct configuration to do this with firmware version 1.2.3.9?

Thanks.

In its factory configuration, the WL-HDD should automatically connect to your wireless router unless you have MAC filtering or WEP encryption. If that is the case, then you need to connect it via cable so that you can enter the configuration menu and make the changes necessary to enable MAC access or WEP.

Once that is done it should connect without any problem.

WL-HDD in client mode (wireless)

Thanks sjdigital, I have no MAC filtering or WEP encryption. In attachment you can see my configuration.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think your problem might be that you have enabled MAC access control in the WL-HDD. But when using it as a wireless client you don't want this - it's really only applicable if you are using the device as an access point. So I suggest you try disabling MAC access control and see if that helps. I seem to recall that I discovered this the hard way myself!

Removed MAC access control in the WL-HDD. Nothing changes.
    HELP !!!!!

At the moment I am connected via Ethernet cable, but I've compared my configuration with yours and the only obvious differnce I see is that you have set AP mode to WDS only - mine has always been set at AP only and I have used it wirelessly in the past without any problem. So try changing that. Also try removing the MAC address from the Remote Bridge list as well.

You might also check via your router's configuration page that the Wl-HDD is getting an IP address. The problem may be with the router not providing a wireless IP address rather than with the Wl-HDD

ZyXEL 660HW = no WDS!! so its not a problem of the WL-HDD

Greetings
    rolano
    ASUS WL-HDD, DBOX2-SAT

Thanks

Many many thanks to all. I've solved my problem with the configuration in the attached zip file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile

Looks like it was the wireless bridge setting that did the trick, although I'd be inclined to set it to AP only, especially if the router you have doesn't support WDS.

The WL-HDD is by no means the most user friendly device, but once you get it set up to do what you want, whether wireless or not, it really is great. I use it as my mp3 library both for my iPod and for my wireless media player, and as a back up file server that I can access via the internet from anywhere. And with 2.5" hard drives getting bigger and bigger, what more do you want?

Glad you got sorted out.

Hi sjdigital,
    thanks again for your help.

You wrote:
    > mp3 library both for my iPod and for my wireless media player
    what kind of wireless media player do yo have ?

> what more do you want?
    I'd like the same device for 3,5" hard disk

My wireless media player is the Acoustic Energy Wi-Fi radio - see www.acoustic-energy.co.uk. It really is brilliant. It simply plugs into the mains power supply and automatically connects wirelessly to my router. It can then access just about any radio station in the world that is available on the internet, and that includes the 'on demand' option that the UK BBC offers to enable you to listen to radio programmes up to seven days after they are broadcast. But not only that, it can play any non DRM audio files on any shared folder on the network. It scans the network, finds the WL-HDD, finds the iTunes library, and can search by album or artist. It can be either self contained playing through its own high quality speaker (A-E are primarily a loudspeaker company) or you can hook it up to your hi-fi. Awesome!

As for being able to have a 3.5" HD - why? You can already get 120GB 2.5" ones and the WL-HDD is so slow that the benefits of SATA 3.5" disks are wasted. Certainly I don't need more than 120GB of storage for what I use it for and the 2.5" form factor keeps it small.
    Last edited by sjdigital; 20-01-2006 at 21:44.

Off-Topic

1) Acoustic Energy Wi-Fi radio is really a fantastic device!!

2) I've an unused 3,5" disk (Maxtor) and I'd like to use it for sharing my data over the lan. So, probably I'll buy this ethernet (and non wirless but with USB 2.0) box for 3,5" disks. See http://tinyurl.com/cyn7x.

Yes, the AE WiFi radio is brilliant!

If you have an old PC lying around, then have a look at www.serverelements.com. They do a free network storage programme that turns any old PC (I use a 10 year old Pentium 90!) into a network storage device. It's basic - no ftp access, no security controls - but works just fine on a LAN with no need to have the main PC running - just the NAS box.
    Last edited by sjdigital; 20-01-2006 at 22:47.

hi sjdigital, i hear shoutcast is supported in acoustic energy. is it possible to run shoutcast server in wl-hdd? btw, what music server are you using in wl-hdd to stream in your acoustic energy?

According to the FAQs on the AE site (see http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Cus...%20Support.asp) the radio supports shoutcast.

But for the WL-HDD you don't need to bother trying to set up a shoutcast server, or indeed any sort of music server. The AE radio simply plays whatever music files it finds, anywhere on the network. So it isn't streaming, simply file sharing using Windows media player and Realplayer. You'll find more details of the underlying technology at http://www.reciva.co.uk/internet_radio/ as it's Reciva who provide the technology.

One of the consequences of this is that if you had two AE devices in different rooms, they could each access the same song track independently. I'm not sure if that is possible with streaming.

But it is apparently possible to install Twonkymedia on the WL-HDD - see http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/faq.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast