Thread: wl500gd: no response after cable modem connect

wl500gd: no response after cable modem connect

I have been using wl500g Deluxe for couple of weeks with Oleg's FW and for about a week with latest 1.9.2.7-7b. It has served as print and disk server, but was currently not connected to internet.

Today I got internet connected over cable modem (Thomson) and everything worked nicely after initial install from ISP. It worked from wired PC as well as from wireless notebook (using hidden SSID and WPA).

Then I have powered down everything in order to move equipment around and now it seems that my wl500gd does not response to anyithing (even ping)!?
    I have also tried FW recovery procedures, but with no success as it seems that router is not seen as 192.168.1.1

Some observations:
    - I did not reboot router or cable modem after install, therefore this was first power off after initial installation
    - if cable modem is connected to WAN, then WAN and both LAN (w/ cables) flash all the time
    - if I disconnect WAN (cable modem), no flashing anymore
    - two LAN's can see each other - I can even copy files over shares - this means that the switch function of the router is working
    - after reset+power-on, power LED blinks every second, but I cannot ping the router
    - I have scanned the network with nmap, but it does not find router on any 192.168.1.x address

I am using XP SP2 on PCs with firewall disabled. I also have Linux (Kubuntu) if recovery would be easier from there.

Any idea how to get this router back to normal condition?

Solved: I got new router under warranty. Hope this one will survive more than a month...