Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About my WL-HMD

Media server & client

1) to get the DiXiM media client software to run correctly, I had to edit a .ini file in the application dir (on the WinXP computer running the client application. Change the 1 in the before-last line to 2 and copy the last line & edit the IP address there to reflect your WL-HDD IP address. It now detects the WL-HDD, IF the media server is running on it. So much for uPNP :-)
    2) to check if the media server is running, do a ps -aux in the "backdoor" or telnet window. If there are a few entries like
    95 0 S /tmp/dmsf/dmsf root /tmp/dmsf /tmp/dmsf.pid
    your media server is running I think. I believe this because I compared two WL-HMD's, one that was detected by the DiXiM client and one that was not. In the one that was not detected, the /tmp/dmsf directory exists but it is empty, and probably there should be a difference somewhere in the init scripts. Alternatively, check the "DMS Version" field in the firmware upgrade page in the web manager; this field ("1.1" in one of my boxes) is taken directly from a file in /tmp/dmsf/ .

If the server is running, it appears to listen on port 30001.

The DiXiM client software is not fantastic, by the way: the interface is (probably in large part due to communication with the WL-HDD) very, very slow and too dumbed down for a PC screen (but will probably work reasonably well on a TV).
    Last edited by Zpottr; 16-03-2006 at 01:46.

Welcome on board ZPottr
    And thank you for this information ! I will have a look at it immediately.

Here is my latest answer to Penny :
    I understand that the WL-HDD2.5 doesn't support media server function.
    But my device is a WL-HMD. And it has a built-in media server.
    Moreover, this week, I sent a complaint about the technical support to their commercial support... And two days ago, I have got some news from Asus :
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Sally and I would be assisting you today.
    We are checking your circumstances. Please don't worry. We will help you to solve problem together. ^_^

It is maybe not hopeless

O.

Lightbulb A tad more info

Hi,

One more thing: the media software seems to reside in partition 2 on the disk, which is mounted to /tmp/dmsf :
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on /tmp/dmsf type ext3 (rw)

The partition available for my stuff is partition 5:
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on /tmp/harddisk/part1 type ext3 (rw)

Which probably explains why my second box does not run the media server anymore: I repartitioned the disk

So contrary to a WL-HDD, repartitioning a WL-HMD can impair some of the functionality... beware if you want to keep it.
    Last edited by Zpottr; 19-03-2006 at 13:13.

As Penny told me to reformat the drive, it has actually already been done several times... Now, I have 4 partitions... (Formatting has been done through the web manager's interface). part1, part2, part3 and part4 have all been added in the "Shared Nodes List". And I have a user (in lower case) named as my Windows user, with the same password.

A Telnet can't connect to the device. I have tried the port 23 as well as 30000 and 30001. Any connection failed. (Notice; I can detect the WL-HMD with the Asus' "Device Discovery", open the Web Manager or connect to the ftp server...)

I have double checked that both "Media Server" and "UPnP Advertisement" are enabled in the page "Storage Setting - Shared Nodes". But “ps –aux” via the backdoor shows no processes named “dmsf” :
    PID Uid Stat Command
    1 0 S init noinitrd
    2 0 S [keventd]
    3 0 R [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    4 0 S [kswapd]
    5 0 S [bdflush]
    6 0 S [kupdated]
    7 0 S [mtdblockd]
    46 0 S infosvr br0
    51 0 S httpd
    63 0 Z [nas]
    85 0 S stupid-ftpd
    90 0 S upnp -D -L br0 -W br0
    104 0 S [khubd]
    119 0 S udhcpc -i br0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc
    121 0 S smbd -D
    123 0 S nmbd -D
    137 0 S sh -c ps -aux > /tmp/syscmd.log
    No Telnet daemon, no Media Server ?!? Nevertheless, I have modified the DmClient.ini according to the IP address of my WL-HMD (the IP displayed by the Asus' Device Discovery):
    [StaticMediaServer]
    Entry=2
    1=http://127.0.0.1:30000/
    2=http://192.168.0.100:30000/
    But as expected, The DiXim Media Client detects no Media Server (There is "No Media Server Standing by" and the Media Server List displayed by DiXim is empty).

Typing “df” in the BackDoor, I get:
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 7460 7460 0 100% /
    /dev/root 7460 7460 0 100% /
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 155555 4115 151440 3% /tmp/dmsf
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 15124868 32812 15092056 0% /tmp/harddisk/part1
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 15124868 32812 15092056 0% /tmp/harddisk/part2
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 15124868 32812 15092056 0% /tmp/harddisk/part3
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 12088692 32812 12055880 0% /tmp/harddisk/part4
    But I have checked the “DMS version” field in my “Firmware Upgrade page”… And it is empty !? So… Is the Media Server Installed or not in /tmp/dmsf?

Via the BackDoor, I typed “pwd” and got the current path. It is /www. Then, I tried to go up to / (I typed “cd ..”), but it does not work. Neither “cd /tmp”, “cd /dev”, …
    Why? Should I mount something manually? Which command may I use (I am not an expert with Linux).

Mhhh… Should I try to explain all of this to Sally

O.

Quote Originally Posted by OgeGOon
    A Telnet can't connect to the device. I have tried the port 23 as well as 30000 and 30001. Any connection failed. (Notice; I can detect the WL-HMD with the Asus' "Device Discovery", open the Web Manager or connect to the ftp server...)
    See http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=42 ; by default, there's no telnetd running.
    I have double checked that both "Media Server" and "UPnP Advertisement" are enabled in the page "Storage Setting - Shared Nodes". But “ps –aux” via the backdoor shows no processes named “dmsf” :
    Same probl;em as my second box, I guess. What I find curious is that partition 2 still exists, but somehow got wiped while making the extended partitions.
    But as expected, The DiXim Media Client detects no Media Server (There is "No Media Server Standing by" and the Media Server List displayed by DiXim is empty).
    This is normal if no server is running.
    But I have checked the “DMS version” field in my “Firmware Upgrade page”… And it is empty !? So… Is the Media Server Installed or not in /tmp/dmsf?
    I thin you'll find this directory is empty.
    Via the BackDoor, I typed “pwd” and got the current path. It is /www. Then, I tried to go up to / (I typed “cd ..”), but it does not work. Neither “cd /tmp”, “cd /dev”, …
    This doesn't work through the web interface. Either use telnet or ls the complete path (ls -alF /tmp/dmsf/ for example)

If you destroyed the files belonging to the media server and Sally doesn't solve it, we'll arrange for a way to get a copy to you.

Telnet

By the way, when 'installing' the telnetd:
    You have a few Ext2/3 partitions available, which means you can put the binaries there and change permissions. this wouldn't work with Fat or similar, hence the copying to /tmp in the link I pointed to. Also, for me just running telnetd was enough (busybox is already there). So
    * copy telnetd from post linked above to e.g. /tmp/harddisk/part1/ ; you can do this from your PC.
    * "chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/telnetd"
    * "/tmp/harddisk/part1/telnetd &"
    * On PC: Start -> Run -> cmd -> telnet 192.168.1.whatever
    Good luck.

Indeed, /tmp/dmsf/ is empty (Checked wiht ls -alF /tmp/dmsf/)

Well.. At least, telnetd is now installed and running ! (Binaries copied from my USBKey into the /tmp... ). There is so much to read and learn on this forum

I have sent this piece of information to Sally and asked her to get the Media Server's files and the procedure to start it automatically...

Thanks again for you very valuable help !

O.

Yes... I can nearly see the light...

At least, I really appreciate the help from Sally!

We have tested WL-HMD and then it is no problem.

Please follow the steps to try to test.
    1. Please upgrade firmware 1.2.3.9. You can find it in the attachment which I send.
    2. Please format the hard disk drive with disk tools on WL-HDD (note: it will lose your data in the disk, please copy the file to another disk before format)
    3. Then please copy the media file (.tar) to part1 and then click “reset” to default configuration
    4. Please use DMA to find the media server
    5. The media files are to placed in part1/dmsf_share folder
    Now... I am waiting for a response to my new request :

I am sorry, but there was no attachment in your email ?!
    (Notice : I use Outlook 2003 and usually have no problem receiving attachements)

Could you resend them ?

O.

Edit on 24/03/2006 : Everything is now OK !!! I have received the files and just followed the instructions given by Sally to reinstall the media server.
    Notice :
    - At step 5, the media files (sounds, pictures, videos, ...) have to be placed in a existing folder named "media_server".
    - the Drivers 1.2.3.9 for WL-HDD won't install on the WL-HMD. It really needs this version 1.2.3.9 sent to me by Asus (Not available on their web site, apparently ?!)
    Last edited by OgeGOon; 24-03-2006 at 20:55.

Good stuff!

Nice to hear that it worked, OgeGOon!

I am, by the way, very much interested in the files she sent you. Could you forward her mail to me, so I can upgrade my HMD? Thanks!

For information,

Antiloop has placed these files for the WL-HMD in the wl-hdd sections : http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4934

Regards,

O.
    Last edited by OgeGOon; 30-03-2006 at 21:34.

Hello,

Did somebody found a way to flash the firmware from a WL-HMD with oleg firmware??

Is this possible,or not?? Because I want to use my WL-HMD with a d-box2 and I would need oleg´s firmware (WL-HDD) for that.

thanks for help !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12