Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About my WL-HMD

About my WL-HMD

Hi,

I have bought a WL-HMD ! (NOT WL-HDD). But I can't see this "WireLess Home Media Drive" on the Asus' web site nor in Google's results ?

Is there anybody knowing something about this box ? Is it compatible with your customized firmware ?

It is really closed to the WL-HDD (same box, same web interface), but it has a media server "on board". My problem is that the Dixim Media Client delivered with it does not detect the server (*). So, I am looking for some additional documentation (nothing usefull has been delivered with the box )

Thank you very much in advance for any information.

O.

(*) Everything else is working fine.

As Asus has not yet been able to help me, I have tried to upgrade the firmware, both with the latest WL-HDD firmware from Asus (1.2.3.9) and with you latest custom firmware.

Unfortunatly, I get a fatal error while uploading any of them on the WL-HMD.

Firmware Upgrade Fail !
    Firmware upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect image, error transmission, or low memory level. Please check the version of firmare, reboot system and try again.

It's probably normal, as it's a firmware for the WL-HDD and not for the WL-HMD.

I hope a true help from Asus. Currently, their answers are quite useless.

O.

Here is my conversasion with Asus. Just for information is another user like me visit your website, looking for information about the WL-HMD.

Indeed... it has a "Linux format"...

But I thought it was normal, as the WL-HMD's firmware is based on a Linux system! Moreover, Windows is able to access the drive through Samba (As I explained, I can copy/paste files to the drives)...

I have also to confirm again that the Wifi connection works fine and I can use the Disk Share (opened through the http://192.168.1.220/firstpage.asp page of the WL-HMD) to access the share folders.
    Only the Media Client cannot connect to the device. It's the reason why I wonder if the Media server is well running!

Anyway... I did as you asked!

But as there is no configuration page on the WL-HMD to format the drive with a Windows partitions, I have removed the disk from the WL-HMD and I have connected it on my PC (with a HDD 2.5 USB case).
    Then, I have formatted the disk with the FAT32 (LBA) mode. (I didn't format with NTFS as a Linux system cannot write on it. It can only read a NTFS partition, isn’t?).
    Finally, I have put back the disk in the WL-HMD box and I have plugged the power.

My PC has immediately detected the Wifi Access Point of the WL-HMD. So, I have run the DiXim Media Client... But again, it does not see any Media Server?!?

Again, I am sure that the drive is accessible from my PC, as, through the Wifi connection, I am able to copy MP3 files on the WL-HMD's drive.
    Through this Wifi connection, the WL-HMD gives me the IP 192.168.1.100 and gives a default gateway = me 192.1168.1.220 (its own IP).

I bought the WL-HMD instead of the WL-HDD BECAUSE it has a Media Server included. Therefore, I really want make it works.

Thank you for your help,

O.

PS. : The GeexBox is a LINUX media client ! According to your explanation, it should have been able to connect to the WL-HMD without any problem... But it couldn't...

---------- Original Message ----------
    Date:2006-01-24 15:08:35

Dear Customer,

The hard disk is formatted using Linux partitions(EXT2). It cannot be connected directly to a Windows system without reformatting. Reformatting will erase all your data. Please back up the data before reformatting.

Penny
    ASUS Customer Service Center (Shanghai)

Date:2006-01-20

You mean FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, or ... ???

I don't have to choose such a partition format.
    I just press the button "Apply" on the configuration page titled : "Storage Setting - Disk Tool".
    Here is a screenshot of this configuration page : http://www.alisce.be/OgeGOon/DiskTool.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the formatting process : http://www.alisce.be/OgeGOon/Formatting.jpg
    A screenshot of the confirmation : http://www.alisce.be/OgeGOon/Commit.jpg
    And finally, the drive restart : http://www.alisce.be/OgeGOon/End.jpg

These are screenshots of the 4 steps I have to accomplish in order to format the WL-HMD.

Even if the drive is not well formatted, I should be able to detect the WL-HMD's Media Server, isn't it
    ?!

Regards,

O.

I have tried to detect this Media Server with the GeexBox (Another Media Client). It does not see the
    Server neither.

Date:2006-01-19 17:42:22

Dear Customer,

Could you please tell me which format do you use on the WL-HDD?

Penny

Date:2006-01-18

Hi Penny. Thank you for your answer !

To be sure, I have rebuilt the partition with the WL-HDD disk tool. I have seen the progress status
    message: "formatting part1: xxx%". And at the end, I have clicked on the "Save & Restart" button.
    Then, I have checked the Status and there was the message "File system ready" as expected.

Finally, I have started the "DiXiM Media Client" (installed from the bundled utility CD). Unfortunatelly, I
    still had the message "Cannot find any Media Server standing by."

On the WL-HDD's configuration page "Shared nodes", both "Enable Media Server?" and "Enable
    UPnP Advertisement? " are set to "Yes".
    As there was no "shared nodes", I have added "part1" and "part1/shared_media" as "shared
    nodes" with read and write rights for the Guest user (I finally clicked on the "Finish" button). Next, I
    have restarted the DiXim client. But again, no Media Server was found

In order to be sure that the drive is reacheable, I have transfered some pictures on its part1 and I can
    see these pictures using IE. So, I am sure that the drive is running fine. The problem is just with the
    connection between the DiXim Media client and the drive...

How can I be sure that the Media Server is well installed and running on my WL-HMD ?

regards,

O.

Date:2006-01-17 19:23:59

Dear Customer,
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Penny and I would be assisting you today.

Please make sure that WL-HDD is formated by WL-HDD disk tool. Also, check the "Status&Log"
    and make sure status is "File system ready". Then please have a test again.

Hope it will help!

Happy New Year!

Welcome to refer FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) for ASUS products in ASUS website:
    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

If you have any other problems, please don't hesitate to let me know. Let's discuss together.
    Thank you for using ASUS products and enjoying services!

Penny

Apply date : 1/16/2006 12:45:12 AM

[Product Information]
    *Product Type : Wireless
    *Product Model : WL-HDD2.5
    *Product S/N : 5BIME14690
    Place of Purchase :
    *Date of Purchase : 2005/12/28

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]
    I have installed the Media Client delivered with my WL-HMD (firmware 1.2.3.6).
    I can access the web interface on 192.168.1.220 and see the part1 folder on \\WL-HMD. I have
    created a "media_share" folder there.
    But, when I start the Media Client, It displays "Can not find any Media Server standing by".
    I can not find any documentation on how to make it works ?! Could you help me ?

O.

If it's any consolation to you I got exactly the same answers from 'Penny' when I had some queries recently about my WL-HDD! As far as I can tell he/she/it is only able to offer two or three suggestions that all hinge on formatting!! Useless!!!

But I'm afraid can't offer any suggestions for solving your problems.

could you supply us with some photo's of the Box and device please?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Here are some pictures (Choose the best ones or you give me some advices to take better pictures if needed ). Bigger sizes should be available "on click".

Sjdigital, Asus does as many other manufacturers. They have a first level helpdesk "for dummies". After a while, you go to the next level... Yesterday, after quite a long conversation with another helpdesk (NOT ASUS), I finally received this message (Ie. :I go to next level) :

Dear Customer,

We will like to bring this new issue to the attention of our Research & Development department for a extended test.
    We request you to give us the time to improve this. We will contact you with more information about it.

Sorry for the caused inconvenients.

I know, it’s not related with the current topic… but it was such a funny answer!

O.

OgeGOon,

Have you got your WL-HMD working again (apart from the media server) after the firmware upgrade problem?

And out of curiosity, what is the benefit of having mediaserver software on the storage device? Can you not simply play the music or video file stored there from the client PC using whatever player software you like? At the moment I use my WL-HDD to store my mp3 files and simply play them either using my laptop or using my separate media player device. I can't work out what additional benefit having mediaserver software would bring.

Yes, my WL-HMD is still working fine. Fortunately, the upgrade of the firmware didn't start.

And I totally agree with you; I could watch movies and listen music just by mounting a shared directory on my laptop.
    But I insisted on this feature mainly because I don’t want a answer like “At least, the other functions are working“ from Penny

Moreover, I think that a media server gives some advantages, at least as soon as several users are connected:
    - More efficient network throughput (using UDP connection)
    - So, better audio and video quality

Therefore, I intended to make some tests... just to “see”.... As the HD 2,5” inside the box is slow, there should be a difference between the “streaming” and the "mounting" solutions.

O.

PS. : No news from Penny :/

Quote Originally Posted by OgeGOon
    As the HD 2,5” inside the box is slow, there should be a difference between the “streaming” and the "mounting" solutions.

O.

PS. : No news from Penny :/
    I still can't get to grips with the streaming versus file sharing business. Why would streaming potentially offer better performance in the circumstances where the device is so slow. And surely it's the WL-HDD that's slow, not the HD. Is the constraint not the bandwidth of the device?

And I think you've probably heard the last of Penny!!

Well, I am really not an expert in IT... But I guess that the protocol of media streaming has been optimized to send data on demand with a better throughput, including optimize compression, error control, ... ??!!

People are often speaking about reducing the bandwidth of video and audio across networks be using a streaming server... but maybe that divx and mp3 are not concerned as far as they are already compressed?...

At least, I know that streaming is based on the UDP protocol instead of TCP. Probably that the Media Client and the Server Client have to take care about the delivery guarantee of the packets... But UDP has better performances than TCP and is less CPU consumer (1.5 faster and 10% less CPU… but I am not sure).

O.

Indeed, no news from Penny.. But I know two guys who have also the WL-HMD. I am waiting for their feedback...

is there any difference in hardware between wl-hmd and wl-hdd? is the wl-hmd superior than wl-hdd? or is it just that the wl-hmd has a different firmware installed?

When I go on the first page of this WL-HMD (I.E.: 192.168.1.220/firstpage.asp), the name "ASUS Wireless HDD" is displayed.

Nevertheless, on the home page (I.E.: 192.168.1.220/index.asp), I read the title "Asus WL-HMD". And on the page "Upgrade Firmware", in the "System Setting" (I.E.: 192.168.1.220/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp), I can read : "Product ID: WL-HMD"

So, I guess it's only a modified version of the WL-HD's firmware...

O.

One month after my last query, Penny sent me a latest answer. This one is very very interresting for you... Indeed, she told me :

Dear Customer,

I'm sorry to reply your letter so late. Sorry for any inconvenience that caused to you. After a testing about media server of WL-HDD2.5, I'm sorry that WL-HDD2.5 doesn't support media server function. Sorry for any inconvenience that caused to you.
    That's such a great news! So guys, don't lose your time to try to connect to your HL-HDD2.5 with the Dixim media Client!

Mhhh.. now, I will try to explain that 2 monthes ago, I told her I had a WL-HMD (and NOT a WL-HDD), and I will send a copy of the manual where it's written that the WL-HMD HAS a builtin media server

O.

Priceless! Keep us posted.

Fellow HMD owner

Hi OgeGOon!

I am playing with the same box atm. They sold it as "ASUS 40GB Wireless LAN HDD 802.11G,54Mbps", for a very good price (Eur 50,- incl. a 40GB 5400RPM hdd).

From searching Google and this forum, it seems we are pretty unique

Penny and her colleagues have not answered to my question for a new rubber "foot" for the device (this is missing) yet, so my experience is not much better.

I would like to play with a firmware upgrade, but it seems there is no official way to get firmware 1.2.3.6 (incl. the media server) back after that (see my other thread for more info). Once I have tat sorted, I'll go experiment.

See WL-HDD Firmware Releases -> WL-WHD Change to WL-HDD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast