Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Info update: WL-700gE

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PXP52
    1. BT downloads works only if the filesize <2 GB.
    If the file lager then the Download Master will not load the file.
    Maybe the 2Gb filesize limit of FAT32? Firmware update doesn't work then.
    You need then a other file-system in it.

But thanks for the info and pics!! Please keep us up-to-date!

@Fixma

No i think it´s not the filesystem. You can copy files to the windows explorer to the disk of the wl-700g lager the 3 GB. I test this yesterday.

It must be a problem of the firmware. And i think it is not a FAT system.
    The router runs under a linux.

cu

Dirk

@All

FTP the same problem with 2GB size but the download starts.

I send a E-Mail today to Asus about this problem with the filesize and the diskspindown.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

@Fixma
    It must be a problem of the firmware. And i think it is not a FAT system.
    The router runs under a linux.
    You are right! Good then not a big problem.. Lets see how good the Asus support is
    Keep us up to date..
    Hopfuly I get mine in a week time..

Quote Originally Posted by random
    In case anyone is interested --

There is a USA reseller of Asus products called ajump.com. Their web page at

http://www.ajump.com/ajump/product.a...2D99%2D4240165

shows the WL-700gE as being back-ordered; but I placed an order last Wednesday and received a shipping notice yesterday evening. Their price is $246, which is startlingly lower than the Euro prices that have been quoted here from other resellers.

Cheers,

random

Hey, they're right nearby me... If they've shipped to you, I might be able to pick one up Will-call on monday.

Please tell us when you receive yours, I've been patiently waiting for this router since november

To the others who already have their units:
    What kernel is it running? Does it have an SSH server? How hard would it be to get to a command line? Has anyone dared to remove the drive, void the warranty, and connect it to a PC yet? How about some good screenshots of all the web interface?

Thanks for all the information!

Thumbs up

Well I bought my WL-700gE friday at Zercom (Eindhoven, Holland).

My first impression: w00t !!!! A lust for eyes and great features.

The package contains of the router, the external antenna, The Quick Start Manual (English), 2 types or powercable, installation cdrom, and router-stand.

When we look at the back of the device, and we push the little white thingy's outward (as pointed out on the picture in red) we can lift the top off and see the inside of it.

At first I had some real bad reception in the livingroom (where the WL-700gE is located), not to mention on the first floor in my bedroom. But adjusting the angle of the antenna did the trick and reception is OK now.

When I set it on the tv-cabinet I can hear some noise as the harddrive spinning seem to make a resonating sound. The dampening on the stand clearly is not enough. I need to come up with a solution for that. I improvised a little by putting the whole thing on a towel which seems to work for now (but clearly is not a permanent solution as it looks stupid).

Extreme, are you an @Home user ? Because I had the same problem here. I finally figured it out but I must say I rather see WL-700gE in my network environment instead of CPxxxxxx-a

Now about that BT. I can't confirm about the 2GB problem (yet), but I noticed something odd. As a trail-run for BT I picked an MP3 and I pointed the Download Manager to the torrent file on my computer after which it started the download. But lateron it was not in my list anymore as I have configured the Download Manager to Automatically clear downloads after transfer. So I looked in the Complete folder. Well, that looked OK, but when I played the MP3 it was incomplete. I then looked in the Incomplete folder, and there was the torrent file for the MP3-download. Complete but then also Incomplete ???

FTP-download sounded OK when I first read about it, but in real-life it is unpractical for me. I usually download complete folders with 20+ files in it. If I were to do it by using the Download Manager I have to download every file seperately. Also there is no way to browse on an FTP to select files with this thing. You have to type in the URL's completely by hand. To bad, but I'll stick to my server with Remote Desktop for FTP downloading.

Even tho the specifications did not mention it, I still wanted to know if the thing supported SNMP, but it doesn't so I'll have to read the input of the port in the mainswitch here to see the statistics. 2 bad the wireless statistics can't be read in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilion
    To the others who already have their units:
    What kernel is it running? Does it have an SSH server? How hard would it be to get to a command line? Has anyone dared to remove the drive, void the warranty, and connect it to a PC yet? How about some good screenshots of all the web interface?

Thanks for all the information!
    As for the SSH, I tried to connect to it by Telnet and SSH which both failed. So that means no commandline or kernel information as well. This doesn't mean that it never will support SSH. Maybe a cracked firmware will turn up on the internet which enables this. Let's hope so

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. My Zyxel B-2000 V2 is stocked away until I find a new purpose for it (or sell it on E-Bay )
    Last edited by JaJoah; 14-05-2006 at 12:05.

Great info! Sounds bad about the wireless reception! With two antena's it schould be ok in the whole house (what I have now with my Linksys one..)
    Mhh I think we must wait on custom firmware like from Oleg
    Or maybe Asus breng some new things out..
    Thats a good thing with this Linux router.. Easy to update with custom firmware.
    Last edited by Fixma; 14-05-2006 at 13:14.
    Greetings,

Alex

Early on the specifications included a PDC function.. Can some confirm that it can be used as a PDC?

Quote Originally Posted by sandoval
    Early on the specifications included a PDC function.. Can some confirm that it can be used as a PDC?
    Enlighten me, what is PDC

Quote Originally Posted by lewislin
    Hi,
    I just bought a WL-700gE recently. Due to a bug in the original firmware, I was able to telnet into the router. I could login as root and was even able to install asterisk on it. I eventually want to install openwrt on this device, but I don't think I know enough to do it. As far as I can tell, the firmware contains 3 sections, kernel, mini root, real root. kernel and mini root will be written to flash (2MB) real root system will be written to the HD. It looks very like what is described here http://www.openmss.org/Hardware/MssExtractFirmware (as they have the same CPU and design).
    My question is what should I go next in order to run openwrt or oleg's firmware on this device? I can post more information from the router if that will help.

Thanks a lot !

Does anyone know what this telnet bug might be? I don't mind running old firmware if it gets me a look inside the box, and access to the root filesystem on the drive; I can shove a shellscript in there somewhere to run dropbear...

@JaJoah

Can you try to make a download with the Download Master software of a file lager 2 GB with FTP and BT.
    If itry this the Download Master software tell´s allways a filesize of 2.0 GB but the file is lager. I use the firmware 1.0.4.1.
    Please tell me your results.

I wait of a answer from Asus support about this problem.

What is with your disk ? Did it spindown or is it allways on ?

cu

Dirk

Hi,

what is with the Speed of transfering Files from/to the 700g ?
    Is it fasther than a WL-500gx with USB2 Harddisk ?

timbO

@JaJoah

Can you try to make a download with the Download Master software of a file lager 2 GB with FTP and BT.
    If itry this the Download Master software tell´s allways a filesize of 2.0 GB but the file is lager. I use the firmware 1.0.4.1.
    Please tell me your results.
    I've got the same firmware from the start.

Well at the moment every BT download seems to fail, resulting in files (which funny names) in the Incomplete directory which I'm not able to delete. Until I find a way to delete these files I am not gonna test BT anymore if you don't mind

I wait of a answer from Asus support about this problem.

What is with your disk ? Did it spindown or is it allways on ?

cu

Dirk
    My disk does NOT spin down.

@JaJoah

Ok , no disk spindown :-( I tink Asus has a new job !

Power mangment !

I be able to delete the files.
    The disk of the wl-700ge is maped as a NFS to windows.

Can you test FTP about the filesize problem for me ?

cu

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by JaJoah
    Enlighten me, what is PDC
    Eh... Primary Domain Controller

At least, that is what the abbreviation is usually used for.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast