Thread: what firmware ?

what firmware ?

Hi there,

I have a WL500G Deluxe with firmware version 1.8.2.1

There a lots of firmware updates out there which one is best to use ?

And if I backup my router settings under Setting Management and upgrade my firmware and then but the CFG file back will this work ?

Thanks in advance,

The last is the best. It's 1.9.5.0 (Official) or 1.9.2.7-6c-pre6 (or pre5) (Oleg's). Oleg's firmware has many more features.

You have to make Factory Defaults after re-flashing with another version (it's strongly recommended, and also each firmware has it's own couple of params saved in CFG (sometimes they meaning is different,so you may have toubles)
    Sorry for my bad English.
    Покупайте Отечественных Слонов!!!

What is de diffrence between the official and Oleg's ?

And what are the manymore features in Oleg's ?

Thanks in advance

Differences is that in Oleg's firmware there is a Telnet-access to router. So you can (using a USB-disc) install here dropbear (SSH), eggdrop, proxy, irc-Bouncer, Traffic Graphic tool, web-server (with PHP), perl (it's cutten version) and anything you want. You can enable higer security (disable WPA-1 and leave only WPA-2) and so on...... so you'll have a little computer, not a stupid box. Also you can make things not available with official firmware (wide NAT settings). Use search, you may have problems because some features in WEBinterface exist but not work in Oleg's firmware in some modes.
    Last edited by FilimoniC; 23-12-2005 at 19:08.

what do you mean with this ?

Use search, you may have problems because some features in WEBinterface exist but not work in Oleg's firmware in some modes.

For example URL filter doesnt work. (disabled)
    Sometimes you may have problems with DMZ or Virtual Server (this features won't work), so you'll have to add rules by yourself (via telnet->iptables)

Quote Originally Posted by MaTpockuH
    The last is the best. It's 1.9.5.0 (Official) or 1.9.2.7-6c-pre6 (or pre5) (Oleg's). Oleg's firmware has many more features.

You have to make Factory Defaults after re-flashing with another version (it's strongly recommended, and also each firmware has it's own couple of params saved in CFG (sometimes they meaning is different,so you may have toubles)
    the pre6 i havent see that version?