Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless keeps dying and WL500g needs reseting

Wireless keeps dying and WL500g needs reseting

A newbie so please bear with me..

Have been using WL500g in Access Point mode for over two weeks now and all has been OK uptil this weekend. Now, suddenly I turn on my laptop and it cant see the AP - doing a scan does not reveal the AP even tho it is broadcasting ID. This is even if I take laptop into same room as AP and stand 1 foot away.

My desktop is connected to the WL500g via network cable and I connect to the Internet and AP etc fine via the desktop and clicking on the Status and Log link appears to show all is OK. I can click on the various config items and they all respond suggesting that the AP is working fine.

However, the only way to get the laptop to connect is to power off the WL500g or to press the reset button on the back of the WL500g. Once I do this the Laptop connects fine for a while but after a few hours on the next day I have the same problem again. Once again I have to unplug the WL500 power or press the reset button.

The odd thing is that I have been using the WL500g fine for over two weeks and never had to do this until now. I am using the offical 1756 firmware from the asus.com.tw support website - have been using this from day 1.

The latop is a Centrino and has an Intel mini PCI 80211b internal wireless card.

Is this a known problem?

turn off your wl500g for 10 minutes, try again then

i had (and r3dbull )the same issue as you, after turning it off for 10 minutes it went away..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

thanks

will give at a go and report back.
    Cheers

appears to have helped - keep my fingers crossed. Thanks v much

Hello!

Sometimes I have the same problem with my WL-500g. But only if I download many files via eMule over a long time. Do you also download via eMule when W-Lan is dying??
    best regards
    Pirat

Quote Originally Posted by Pirat
    Hello!

Sometimes I have the same problem with my WL-500g. But only if I download many files via eMule over a long time. Do you also download via eMule when W-Lan is dying??
    I Have exactly the same problem.. The WLAN dies from time to time, mainly when I'm running eMule.

Anyone knows any solution for this problem?

NJS

does it die 'permanent' ? or just for a few minutes?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    I guess it's just for a while... I have a Intel Pro Wireless 3000B and it says disconnect, and after a while it connects again, although I cannot access internet until I reboot my laptop. Sometimes this happens, other times I just need to turn off the wireless card and turn it back on a minute after or so.

It's not really deterministic

Hope this helps..

Nuno

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    Permanent. If router is rebooted, it works proper for a few minutes. Then it dies. If I stop eMule on my PC, it work and work and work and work and ...
    best regards
    Pirat

for me, I also have a disconnect problem when i'm using BT. And it works normal when i don't use BT. (I already upgraded to 1.7.6.5-cr3) Anyone can help me to solve this problem?
    Last edited by smallkeung; 26-05-2004 at 04:39.

I think my problems are linked to downloading too - I use DAP premium.
    I havent downloaded much recently wirelessly and it hasnt lost the connection for a few days.

I have the same problem. Ftp transfers do not cause problems, even for large quantities of data. However eMule kills it. I have not yet been able to find out if it is a number of connections or something else, nothing sems to stand out.
    I went to the shop and they replaced it, but it is still the same.
    I have also not tested other setups, I use it in Access point mode. The other ports, apart from WAN and wireles, are still bridged together and work.
    Oh, and I don't use wireless at all, so it is not linked to it (but it does die).
    After reboot it works for a day or two...
    I am thinking about changing mode and see if this is the problem.

Just a suggestion: please be sure you've firewall logging turned off.

I have a similar problem as you can see:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=419

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=437

The only difference is that is the wan that dies, not the wlan, but the problem is triggered by emule and azureus, it must be something with the number of connections created. Firmware 1.6 works fine, but 1.7 (asus and oleg's versions) have the same problem. I had to downgrade to 1.6 because my connection died every 30 minutes. Turn off the firewall didn't help, i tried every setup option...

Case ID: 186008

This is clearly a serious problem in the firmware that is affecting us all (I use both eDonkey and Azureus). I have opened a Case with Asus (case ID 186008). We'll see what they say. I cannot downgrade back to 1.6, as without the ability to statically assign IP's to a few of my DHCP clients, the router is useless to me...
    I am able to recover my connectivity to the Internet by releasing and renewing my WAN IP, without needing to reboot the router.
    Last edited by bscottsmith; 28-05-2004 at 18:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast