Thread: USB audio - from Linux

USB audio - from Linux

Hi,
    I know many think its a useless feature, but i find it very useful and tidy way to get audio to my kitchen without cables.

As suplied by Asus this only works with WMP, which along with windows i never use.

I have written a small app which i call oss_server which listens for connections on a TCP socket, and when found streams audio to the audio device. I have also written (or hacked from another app) a client that takes audio from jack (jack audio connection kit) and sends it to the asus wl500.

I wish to know how to delete waveserver from the asus root filesystem and replace it with my oss_server, also how to make it launch this instead of waveserver when the usb audio dongle is plugged in. I have failed to find any associated scripts and would appreciate any help here.

If anybody is interested in using this stuff feel free, it can all be found here

http://www.ds.homedns.org/?page=audio&option=iHome

Thanks

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mangodan
    I wish to know how to delete waveserver from the asus root filesystem and replace it with my oss_server, also how to make it launch this instead of waveserver when the usb audio dongle is plugged in.
    If your oss_server is small enough to be stored in the flashfs, then you've to add this lines to pre-boot:

Code:
    mount -obind /usr/local/sbin/oss_server /usr/sbin/waveserver

Hmm, in my edit i deleted the original reply.
    waveserver is approximately 90k
    my oss_server app is 12k.

Thanks, that gets some of the way, It seems to effectively replace the file, but not through a reboot. I executed the command from a telnet login.You appeared to sugest putting the comand into a file. Where is this file found? Currently i am using wget to get the file into /tmp and then doing chmod +x on it in order to make executable - executing it from here in a telnet session. The with this is it is killed if i close the session which is very undesirable. I also supply /dev/sound/dsp as an argument, but i could remove that requirement by having that as the default if none is specified. Still, it would be nice to know from where the waveserver command is executed, and what arguments it might be supplied with at this time. Thanks Dan
    Last edited by mangodan; 13-12-2005 at 23:20.

yes, sure.

Hi again, i edited my last post and wrote a load more, be time i had submitted it you had already replied to the original! Sorry, i realised that was a bit of a poor reply hence my editing it!

How to use line/mic USB/SOUND device in the WL-500?

Hi,

I'm using Esound and winesd (windows network audio driver) with sucess using a cheap c-media USB speaker sound device in the WL-500.

The winesd don't have (yet?) the mic/linein feature! The Esound daemon can listen the mic/line? Do you know any other sound daemon that can play and/or record the mic/line audio?

Any ideas?
    Cheers