Thread: use different network port for WAN connect

use different network port for WAN connect

Due to a lightning stroke on the DSL line the WAN network port of a WL 500g is destroyed ( receive part not working ). The complete rest WLAN, LAN is working correctly. Even the firmware does not recognize this problem, because it seems to happen in the line applifier.

The question is, whether I can use one of the LAN ports for the WAN connection by setting some of the NVRAM variables. So br0 will only contain 3 ports and the 4 will be used for (WAN) PPPOE. If the answer is yes, how do I have to change the setting.

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by sleuther
    Due to a lightning stroke on the DSL line the WAN network port of a WL 500g is destroyed ( receive part not working ). The complete rest WLAN, LAN is working correctly. Even the firmware does not recognize this problem, because it seems to happen in the line applifier.

The question is, whether I can use one of the LAN ports for the WAN connection by setting some of the NVRAM variables. So br0 will only contain 3 ports and the 4 will be used for (WAN) PPPOE. If the answer is yes, how do I have to change the setting.

Sigurd
    I am afraid it's not possible on WL-500B/G as the WAN interface is a separate chip and LAN chipset does not support VLANs. AFAIK you could do it on WL-500GX only.