Thread: External antenna: extension cable?

Question External antenna: extension cable?

Can the external antenna be detached and put on a short extension cable?

How about an antenna that can be used outdoors?

If so to either question, where can I buy one?

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier
    Can the external antenna be detached and put on a short extension cable?

How about an antenna that can be used outdoors?

If so to either question, where can I buy one?

Nigel
    Many APs have an external Antenna connector available, and most of them are equiped with a reversed SMA connector. Personally I realy hate them and replace them either with a normal SMA (female) or N-connector when an external antenna is needed.

It is also possibe to use an adapter, such as these:

SMA to N (http://www.wifishop.nl)

Please be aware you will loose signal due to this adapter or in fact any adapter. The trick is to loose as less signal as possible with the cable and connectors, and gain as much as possible with the antenna.
    Therefore not only the Antenna is important but also the used COAX. Use a good COAX cable not just RG58. On the site mentioned below you can find some types of coax, such as H1000, Aircell 7, Aircom plus or the best Ecoflex 15. If the length of the cable does not exceed 5 meters, you can also use RG213.

Van Dijken

It depends what you want to do with the antenna which type of antenna you must choose. If you want to extend the range in all directions, a slot or Omnidirectional antenna are perfect. Look at:

Pacific Wireless

I am using the OD24-12-D7-PF, A perfect 12dB antenna with 7 degrees downtilt, since there is no use to radiate into the sky above.

If you want to bridge long distances, a yagi, flat pannel or dish can be used.
    Last edited by bramfm; 09-05-2004 at 18:59.

I am using the OD24-12-D7-PF, A perfect 12dB antenna with 7 degrees downtilt, since there is no use to radiate into the sky above. If you want to bridge long distances, a yagi, flat pannel or dish can be used.
    I curious .. Any idea what sort of distance you can get to with a dish or similar installed on the back of the 500g?

Quote Originally Posted by benhodg
    I curious .. Any idea what sort of distance you can get to with a dish or similar installed on the back of the 500g?
    The hardware in the WL500g is both for the baseband and radio part the same as the Linksys WRT54G (although I found the WL500g more sensitive than the WRT54G v1.1), see therefore the following link:

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpB...opic.php?t=250