Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: wl500g dead, dead, dead... Or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynno
    There are also wired problems now. Network shares between 3 XP machines
    are not visible, or some metafoorproblem appear and no network workgroup available at all.
    Wired problems are all solved now, wireless still dead...

Reinstalled XP on my laptop, new Asus WL-100g Drivers, new Asus Wlan control
    center, checked settings without success. I really suspect the WL-100g card at
    this moment, although it can connect to my neighbours wifi ad-hoc network sometimes.
    Or could it be i got my old WL-500g router replaced with another defective one at the shop???

Wireless working fine a for few weeks now, the only change i made
    was changing the channel. Very strange, i tried this before so shoot me...

Emergency Restore Solution

Yesterday my WL-500G had the same symptoms like below after playing with NVRAM. The restore utility doesn`t work but i found a great solution (Thanks JockyW:http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1451&highlight=dead

Recovery!!:
    -----------
    1. pull power cable and wait 20 seconds
    2. keep button pressed and connect power cable: power led should flash
    3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2
    4. run Asus Firmware restoration tool, select firmware file (e.g. wg01080109_WL500g_EN.trx) and press upload.
    After some seconds press the Abort button or wait until it says "Upload fails! Please check the connection"
    5. from a dos box or linux console run: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wg01080109_WL500g_EN.trx
    6. tftp returns something like: "Transfer successful: 3731456 bytes in 2 seconds, 1865728 bytes/s" if it doesn't redo steps 1-5 (sometimes I needed three or four times before it worked)
    7. after ca. 80 seconds your Asus should reboot

I did this procedure with
    1. wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
    2. wl500g-recover.trx
    Then I could flash any firmware and the device was alive again.....

ciao,
    jbk

dead WL-500gx

hi

wonder if any one can help. I was playing with nvram and like muppet newbi that I am did a typo and now my router doesent work.

switch it on and there is now power light, it only works as switch. tried the reset and have been looking around in this forum but still not able to get it back to life. cant seem to find anything on the net ether. in brife there is

no power light
    not able to ping it on 192.168.1.1
    asus firmware restoration dosent find it
    but works as a switch

thanks
    the recker

If it's still under warranty - replace it. It still probably could be bringed back to life, but this will void your warranty (you will need to open the box).
    So, what you've changed in the nvram exactly?

was trying enabling the extra 16 mb of ram think I mist typed something, my falt for not double checking things.

a little knowledge is very dangeros

thanks

Well yesterdat i had no powerlight too, but after an hour , i put the power-connector in the router and it suddenly got powered, but i think u already tried that

Question WAN port dead in AP mode after upgrading unit bootloader

@Oleg

Yesterday I bought an ASUS 500g deluxe. Because the serial number starts with 4c I decided to upgrade unit bootloader. I followed your instructions on this forum step by step and it everything went ok. The process goes exactly as you describe ending with resetting the unit to defaults. After that I upgraded the firmware to 1.9.3.5 beta.

When I was ready with these procedures I putted the unit in AP-mode; my ADSL-modem is acting as DHCP-server. Unfortunately I had now a problem which there was not before. In AP-mode the WAN port is dead (however the LED is burning). It doesn't matter if I instruct the unit to get an IP-address from the DHCP-server or if I give the unit an appropriate static IP-address. Downgrading the unit to firmware 1.8.2.1 doesn't help; the problem persists.
    In Home Gateway mode the WAN port not dead. The WAN port is than working normally.

What should I do now. If I put the cable of my ADSL-modem in an LAN port everything is working fine. But when doing that I loses one LAN port which I need for another PC; in that case I have one LAN-port to short.

Oleg, can you help me out?
    Last edited by Hoorna; 13-03-2005 at 11:52.

Added this to Known Bugs Section.
    I believe this should be fixed by ASUS in the firmware.

I will also try to fix this in the custom firmware.

My head now as dead as my WL-500g

have just taken 3 hrs to read thru this forum, and now my head feels just like my WL-500g: DEAD.

upgraded from 1.8.1.9 to 1.9.2.7, worked fine but WLAN a bit slow. dealer said to upgrade to 1.9.3.6 (beta but from ASUS website), and that apperently killed the unit. no access the normal way, and even the recovery tool (firmware restoration) comes back with either no unit found, or starts to update for a second or two, then FAILED, CHECK CONNECTION (wired !).

i think i have tried all i could find, but there are so many ifs and buts in the mssgs here in the forum that at the end i know less than intitially. all versions of pressing reset and turning on, trying the CLEAR-NVRAM version, the IP adresses given (where in XP to enter anyhow?), and whatever.

does anybody here have some kind of summary, some kind of steps a simple user like me can follow, step by step, without going thru a million websites that to me seem to make it only more confusing, most of then telling different stories anyhow?

i have used the SEARCH function, i have read thru everything i could, but ... the blasted thing still plays dead.

and i am supposed to have it installed by monday ...

greetings - heinz -
    Last edited by heinz57g; 10-04-2005 at 00:37.

Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Right-click > Properties > Internet Protocol > Properties

have been trying this now 5 times:

>> 1. pull power cable and wait 20 seconds
    >> 2. keep button pressed and connect power cable: power led should flash
    >> 3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2

no chance: pinging comes back HOST NOT REACHABLE.

so also no further steps possible. any ideas?

greetings - heinz -

tomilius, thats where i thought it was, and where i had entered it, but no difference in the results: none.

on the ping i now get TIME LIMIT EXEEDED

greetings - heinz -
    Last edited by heinz57g; 10-04-2005 at 01:39.

Come to think of it, I had this same problem. Leave your router unplugged for an extended period of time for it to cool off. Try... an hour. If that doesn't help, leave it unplugged overnight.

I put my router in the freezer once for about 3 minutes. Couldn't hurt, I suppose.

Just to also mention it here...
    You did try leaving the router off for a while, right?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast